Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

October 9 and 10, 2017: Some storms in the forecast.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Storm tracking links below

1. Thunderstorms this morning. Some storms will produce heavy rain, pea size hail, and gusty winds. Lightning, of course.
2. Another round of storms possible mid-afternoon into the evening hours.
3. A few storms this afternoon could be strong with severe weather not out of the question.
4. Slightly cooler weather Wednesday and Thursday.

This morning

Several heavy thunderstorms on radar, as of 7:30 AM.

Storms are moving towards the northeast at 30 mph. The risk for severe weather this morning is low.

We may have some broken clouds this afternoon. That will mean some spotty sunshine. IF that occurs, then instability will build.

The more sunshine later today, the higher the risk for a few severe thunderstorms by late afternoon and evening.

The overall severe weather risk is small at any given location. A few spots could have quarter size hail, damaging winds, and an isolated tornado risk.

The limiting factor for severe weather today is CAPE. CAPE is basically energy for thunderstorms to tap into. CAPE builds when dew points and temperatures rise.

Thunderstorms will diminish tonight.

Some clouds will linger on Wednesday with highs only in the 70’s.

Clearing with patchy fog Wednesday night. Mild on Thursday with highs in the middle to upper 70’s.

Friday and Saturday will be warm with highs mostly in the 80’s. Dry weather is anticipated by both Friday and Saturday.

Live lightning tracker with zoom and pan features. You can see each bolt and adjust your viewing area.
Lightning tracking website
https://wtalk.co/KAZYDQHT

Your live local city view interactive radars
http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

Your Live Paducah City Interactive City View Radar
http://www.weatherobservatory.com/radar_paducah.htm

Your Live Poplar Bluff Interactive City View Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_pbluff.htm

Your Live Mt Vernon Interactive City View Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_mtver.htm

Your Live Northeast Arkansas and Missouri Bootheel City View Interactive Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_memphis.htm

Live Bootheel Interactive City View Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_dyers.htm

Your Live Purchase Area Interactive Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_hoptown.htm

Live Northwest Kentucky and Southeast Illinois City View Interactive Radar
http://weatherobservatory.com/radar_evans.htm

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm
Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link
Bonus short and long range videos are available for Weather Talk subscribers.  This is in addition to the other products that you receive on a daily basis.
Videos are normally posted on Monday through Friday.  Typically, videos will be updated during the morning and afternoon hours.  I personally update videos during active weather.
A Weather Talk subscription ($3 a month) is required to view the videos.

Videos are posted on the www.weathertalk.com website.  Once there, click the Beau Video-Cast tab.    Long Range Video Update

If you believe you missed a video then you may check the LIVE FEED link on the Weather Talk website.  You will find an archive of videos on that page.

You can also receive the videos via your Weather Talk app/text messages.  Have text option FOUR activated.  The Weather Extra text option.  Sign up for the app/text messages, videos, and more at www.beaudodsonweather.com

This forecast covers the counties in red.  The counties in orange are covered by the forecast discussion further down in the blog.

October 9, 2017
Monday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Increasing clouds.  Patchy fog possible.  Mild.  Scattered showers and thunderstorms likely.  The greatest chance will be over southeast Missouri and southern Illinois.  Perhaps far western Kentucky, as well.  A few storms could produce small hail and heavy downpours.  Gusty winds near storms.
Temperatures   MO ~ 64 to 68     IL ~ 64 to 68     KY ~ 64 to 68
Winds:  Winds becoming east and southeast at 4 to 8 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lightning.  Wet roadways possible.  Small hail possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Is severe weather expected? The risk is small.
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation
?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 60%   
Coverage of precipitation
:  Scattered to numerous.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check updates and radars

October 10, 2017
Tuesday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Intervals of clouds and sun.  Very warm for October.  A chance for early morning thunderstorms and then a chance of mid to late afternoon thunderstorms.  Some storms could be intense, especially after 2 pm.  Monitor updates.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 82 to 86    IL ~80 to 85      KY ~ 80 to 85
Winds: Southeast winds becoming south/southwest at 6 to 12 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways and lightning.  Monitor the risk of strong/severe storms.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Is severe weather expected?  There is a chance of severe thunderstorms.
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 50%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered to perhaps numerous.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No, but check radars.

Tuesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Evening clouds.  Becoming partly cloudy late. A chance of evening showers and thunderstorms, then a chance of showers late.  Some of the thunderstorms could be intense during the first half of the night.  Turning cooler than recent nights.
Temperatures   MO ~ 53 to 56     IL ~ 53 to 56      KY ~ 53 to 56
Winds:  Southwest winds becoming north and northwest winds at 4 to 8 mph with gusts to 14 mph early
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Lightning.  Monitor the evening hours for perhaps a couple of intense storms.
Is severe weather expected? A few severe thunderstorms are possible before midnight.
?  MO ~ 30%    IL ~ 50%    KY ~ 50%   
:  Scattered.  Perhaps a line of showers and storms early in the night.  Rain will wind down as we push deeper into the night.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates

October 11, 2017
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Partly to mostly sunny.  Cooler.  Most likely dry.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 73 to 76    IL ~72 to 75      KY ~ 73 to 76
Winds: West and northwest at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Is severe weather expected?  No
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 10%
Coverage of precipitation: None
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No

Wednesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear and cooler.  Patchy fog possible.
Temperatures   MO ~ 52 to 54     IL ~ 52 to 54    KY ~ 52 to 54
Winds:  Northwest winds at 0 to 5 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps patchy fog with lower visibility.
Is severe weather expected? No
?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 10%   
:  None
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

October 12, 2017
Thursday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Mostly sunny.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 75 to 78    IL ~75 to 78      KY ~ 75 to 78
Winds: Variable winds at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None.
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  Most likely none

Thursday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear and cool.  Patchy fog.
Temperatures   MO ~ 52 to 56     IL ~ 52 to 56    KY ~ 52 to 56
Winds:  Variable winds at 0 to 5 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps patchy fog with lower visibility.
?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0%   

October 13, 2017
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Mostly sunny.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 80 to 84    IL ~ 80 to 84      KY ~ 80 to 84
Winds: Variable winds at 4 to 8 mph.  Winds becoming southerly.
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None

Friday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear.
Temperatures   MO ~ 55 to 60     IL ~ 55 to 60    KY ~ 55 to 60
Winds:  Southerly winds at 4 to 8 mph.
?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0%   

2014-11-24_13-38-04

The National Weather Service definition of a severe thunderstorm is one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.

Monday night through Tuesday:  Thunderstorms are possible through Tuesday night.

There is risk of a few reports of hail Monday night and Tuesday morning.  Organized severe weather appears unlikely.

There is a conditional risk of severe weather on Tuesday afternoon and evening.  If instability develops then all modes of severe weather would be possible.  That would include a risk of damaging winds, hail, and isolated tornadoes.

The risk is conditional.  Conditional means that there is some question as to whether instability develops.

Monitor updates.

TUESDAY AFTERNOON SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK

I will monitor the severe weather risk.  Tornado risk is not zero.

beausanalysis

Overview

Highlights of the forecast.

1.  Thunderstorm risk
  2.  Warm weather to continue

Short range comments

Subscribers, sign into your WeatherTalk account and see the latest October forecast.  Click here for that information.

See the long-range discussion further down in this post.

The main focus of this update will be thunderstorm chances between now and Tuesday night.

A warm and moist atmosphere blankets our region.  This is more typical of spring weather.   I supposed we are used to it by now.  The calendar is ticking away on our fall season.  Temperatures don’t seem to be responding.

A warm front will push into the region later today and tonight.  This will bring additional shower and thunderstorm chances to the area.

Some of the storms on Monday night could produce small hail.  Lightning will be a concern, of course.  Locally heavy downpours and gusty winds, as well.

Once again, not everyone will receive rain on Monday night.  Some storms could produce a quick 1/2″ of rain.  Locally higher totals are always possible.

An area of low pressure will move into the area on Tuesday afternoon and evening.  A cold front will trail the low.

The low is forecast to pass near the St Louis area.  That places us in the warm sector of the storm.  Warm sector means the unstable section.  This is where thunderstorms typically occur.

Wind fields at the surface and aloft will be turning.  There will also be an increase in wind speeds as you move higher into the atmosphere.  This is called wind shear.

You need several ingredients for severe weather.  Lift, moisture, instability (CAPE), and wind shear.

We will have lift.  That would be the cold front.  We will have plenty of moisture.  Dew points will rise well into the 60’s and perhaps lower 70’s.  We will have wind shear.

Here is a diagram of a cold front.  Imagine a bulldozer pushing into the warm/moist air.

What is missing?  Perhaps CAPE.

This part of the forecast is an unknown.  IF CAPE develops, then severe storms could form Tuesday afternoon and evening. These storms would then move northeast through the region.

If CAPE does not develop, then severe weather is unlikely.  We will have some showers and locally heavy storms with the front, but they would remain below severe levels.

If we have quite a bit of sun on Tuesday, then CAPE will develop.  The atmosphere becomes more unstable when we heat up the surface of the planet.

This is a conditional severe weather threat.  That means it is dependent on CAPE.

Monitor updates as we move through the next 24 to 36 hours.

CAPE forecast for 1 pm, 4 pm, and 7 pm.  This is for Tuesday.

4 PM

And 7 PM

Lifted index maps

What is the lifted index?

Instability: A negative LI indicates that the atmosphere is unstable with respect to the middle troposphere. This is an environment in which convection can occur. The more negative the LI the more unstable the troposphere and the more buoyant the acceleration will be for rising parcels of air from the surface. ~ Haby Hints

Lifted index map for Tuesday at 4 pm.  Definitely negative numbers.  Unstable atmosphere.

These are decent numbers for October.  Lift index values of greater than negative five.

Wind shear.  We will have wind shear.  Bulk shear numbers are going to be in the 4o+ knot range.  That is quite a bit of wind shear.  Certainly enough for concern.  Again, CAPE is the real question.

The SPC WRF model shows supercells forming Tuesday afternoon.

Here is the future-cast radar for 6 PM and 7 PM

Let’s take a look at the high resolution NAM guidance.  This is the future-cast radar.  This is what radar might look like over the next 48 hours.

For those wanting fall, you are going to have to wait a bit longer.

Temperatures over the next 24 to 36 hours will remain in the well above normal category.  That will mean another day with temperatures in the 80’s.

The good news, for those wanting somewhat cooler weather, is that Wednesday and Thursday should only have high temperatures in the 70’s.  I know, not a serious cool down, but better than 80’s!

For those wanting the summer weather to continue, don’t worry.  The long range charts show above normal temperatures into next week.

Temperature Forecast

Monday night low temperatures

Tuesday high temperatures

Tuesday night low temperatures

Wednesday high temperatures

Wednesday night low temperatures

Thursday high temperatures

Thursday night low temperatures

Dewpoint scale

Dew points are what control how you feel outside.

Tuesday dew points

Check out Tuesday evening’s dew point map.  You can see the cold front moving through our region.  Lower dew points behind the cold front.

Wednesday dew points

Thursday dew points

Long range forecast discussion

Temperatures should rebound a bit by Friday.  We may move back into the 80’s.  Saturday and Sunday should be warm, as well.

A cold front could approach from the northwest on Sunday and Sunday night.  For now, the guidance indicates a few scattered showers and thunderstorms along the front.

Here is the GFS map for Sunday

You can see the rain in green.  As the front moves southeast it appears to lose the higher precipitation chances.  Still a bit early for confidence on the weekend forecast.

For now, I will leave Friday, Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night dry.

Sunday, 7 AM weather map.  Showers and storms to our northwest.

Sunday, 1 PM weather map.  Most of the green is gone.

Are you subscribing to Weather Talk app/text messages and videos?  This is what helps support all of the data you see each day.

We now offer premium videos for the short and long-range forecasts!  These videos are produced by a team of long range forecast experts.  They are brought to you as bonus information.  Activate text option four in order to receive these on your app or via text.

Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

We offer an Apple and Android app (scroll to the bottom of this page for more information).

Were you aware that I hired a team of meteorologists for long range videos?

To learn more, click this link

http://cms.weathertalk.com/meet-the-team/

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Live lightning data ~ click here

12345r

We offer regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not update then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared.  You may also try restarting your browser.  This will usually fix any problems.

During the winter you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

National interactive radar:  Click this link.

The Beau Dodson Weather APP is ready for Apple and Android users.  The app provides a faster way for you to receive my text messages.  ATT and Verizon are not always reliable when it comes to speed.

Some of you have asked if you can receive the texts on your phone and the app.  The answer to that is, yes.  The Android app will automatically allow that to happen.  On the Apple app, however, you will need to open your app and click the settings button.  Make sure the green tab is OFF.  Off means you will still receive the texts to your phone and the app.  If you have any questions, then email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The app is for text subscribers.

The direct download, for the Apple app, can be viewed here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1190136514

Here is the download link for the Android version  Click Here

If you have not signed up for the texting service then you may do so at www.beaudodsonweather.com

——————————————————–

Your support helps with the following:

and

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Whom do you trust for your weather information?

I have studied weather, in our region, since the late 1970’s.  I have 40 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology and a Bachelor’s of Science.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.  I served from 2005 through 2015.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue.  2015 through current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

I am the chief meteorologist for Weather Talk LLC.

I am also a business owner in western Kentucky.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.

In 2005, I helped open the largest American Cross shelter in U.S. history.  This was in Houston, Texas.  I was deployed to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita.  I was a shelter manager of one of the Houston, Texas shelter divisions.

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  You need a trusted source for information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and this blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

awaremail

I typically send AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings.  The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions

Comments are closed.