Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

October 28, 2018: Quick Sunday update for everyone.

Sunday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Clearing and chilly.  Perhaps some patchy fog.
Temperatures: MO ~ 38 to 44      IL ~ 38 to 44      KY ~ 38 to 44       TN ~ 38 to 44
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%     IL ~ 0%     KY ~ 0%     TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  Most likely none.
Frost Risk:  Wind conditions should help prevent frost.
Wind: West and northwest at 6 to 12 mph with higher gusts
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lower visibility where fog forms.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Is severe weather expected? No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No
Sunset: 6:01 PM
Moonrise:  9:25  PM Waning Gibbous
Moonset:  11:15 AM

October 29, 2018
Monday forecast:  Mostly sunny and mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 to 70      IL ~ 65 to 70        KY ~ 65 to 70      TN ~ 65 to 70
What is the chance of precipitation? MO ~ 0%     IL ~ 0%     KY ~ 0%     TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Wind: West and northwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
UV Index: 3 to 4  Moderate
Sunrise: 7:17 AM

Monday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.
Temperatures: MO ~ 45 to 50     IL ~ 45 to 50     KY ~ 45 to 50      TN ~ 45 to 50
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%     IL ~ 0%     KY ~ 0%     TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation: None
Frost Risk:  None
Wind: Winds becoming southerly at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
Sunset: 6:00 PM
Moonrise:  10:24  PM Waning Gibbous
Moonset:  12:17 PM

October 30, 2018
Tuesday forecast:  Mostly sunny. Warm.  Temperatures could approach 80 degrees in some locations.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 75 to 78      IL ~ 75 to 78        KY ~ 75 to 78    TN ~ 75 to 78
What is the chance of precipitation? MO ~ 0%     IL ~ 0%     KY ~ 0%     TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None anticipated
Wind: South at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 15 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None.
UV Index: 4 to 6 moderate to high
Sunrise: 7:18 AM

Tuesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Increasing clouds.  Rain developing from NW to SE.  A thunderstorm possible, especially late at night.
Temperatures: MO ~ 48 to 54      IL ~ 48 to 54      KY ~ 48 to 54       TN ~ 48 to 54
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 70%     IL ~ 70%     KY ~ 60%     TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Increasing coverage ahead and behind a cold front.
Frost Risk: No
Wind: South at 7 to 14 mph with higher gusts
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.  Isolated lightning possible.
Sunset: 5:59 PM
Moonrise:  10:24  PM Waning Gibbous
Moonset:  12:17 PM

October 31, 2018
Wednesday forecast:  Mostly cloudy.  Rain likely.  A thunderstorm possible.  Locally heavy rain likely.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 64 to  68      IL ~ 64 to  68        KY ~ 64 to  68      TN ~ 64 to  68
What is the chance of precipitation? MO ~ 90%     IL ~ 90%     KY ~ 90%     TN ~ 90%
Coverage of precipitation:  Widespread
Wind:  South at 6 to 12 mph.  Winds will shift behind the cold front and become west and northwest.  The timing of the cold front is in question.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lightning possible.  Wet roadways.  Some low land flooding possible (fields and ditches)
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? Yes, have a plan B
UV Index: 1 to 2  Low
Sunrise: 7:19 AM

Wednesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Cloudy.  Showers likely.
Temperatures: MO ~ 44 to 48     IL ~  44 to 48     KY ~ 44 to 48       TN ~ 44 to 48
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 50%     IL ~ 50%     KY ~ 60%     TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered to numerous
Frost Risk: None
Wind:  West and northwest at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan b and monitor updates
Sunset: 5:58 PM
Moonrise:  11:59  PM Waning Gibbous
Moonset:  2:03 PM

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Folks, I don’t know how to tell you this, but November is almost here!

Yes, I know, it was just November. It is here again! Well, soon it will be here.

It won’t be too much longer and Cookies and Milk with Beau will start showing up on your computer screens (for those who are new to this weather page, cookies and milk equals Q&A threads about potential winter storms).

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Highs today will range from 66 to 74. The warmer readings being across southeast Missouri, far western Kentucky, and northwest Tennessee.

The cooler of those readings being across southeast Illinois into northwest Kentucky.

If the clouds don’t clear (for those who have clouds) then you should shave a few degrees off those highs.

We will have some clouds today. Those clouds are in response to a cold front that is going to push through the area. A few light showers are possible over southeast Illinois and northwest Kentucky.

The big weather story today will be the developing strong winds.

The pressure gradient, with this system, is tight. A tight pressure gradient equals strong winds.

A sustained 15 to 30 mph wind will develop later this morning and afternoon.

We will have winds gusting above 40 mph from time to time.

The highest winds will stretch from southern Illinois into northwest Kentucky.
Here is the Hrrr model guidance wind gust forecast animation.  You can see the highest winds across southern Illinois and western Kentucky.

The next big weather story will be a rain event that will develop Tuesday night into Halloween night.

A widespread one to two-inch rain event is likely with pockets of two to three inches.

Flash flooding appears unlikely. Some low land flooding, however, can’t be ruled out.

Field flooding, ditches, and so on.

No snow in the current forecast. 🙂 See, I brought you some good news.

Thursday could deliver a few showers. For now, I have Friday and Saturday dry with cool temperatures.

I know there are some more weddings this coming weekend. Monitor updates.

Here is the American GFS model guidance future-cast radar.  This model is lower resolution and is broad-brushed.  The colors represent rain.  The yellow colors are heavier rain.

Click to enlarge the animation.

The timestamp is located in the upper left-hand corner.

Here is the American GFS rainfall totals map.

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $5 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

The $5 will allow you to register up to seven phones!

For $5 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed messages from me to you.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given my personal attention during significant weather events.

WWW.WEATHERTALK.COM subscribers, here is my day to day schedule for your weather products.

These are bonus videos and maps for subscribers.  I bring these to you from the BAMwx team. I pay them to help with videos.

The Ohio and Missouri Valley videos cover most of our area. They do not have a specific Tennessee Valley forecast but may add one in the future.

The long-range video is technical. Over time, you can learn a lot about meteorology from the long range video. Just keep in mind, it is a bit more technical.

.Subscribe at www.weathertalk.com

Here is the latest WPC/NOAA rainfall outlook.

Most of this falls Tuesday night into Wednesday night.  Wet Halloween.

Click to enlarge.

Did you know that you can find me on Twitter?

Questions? Broken links? Other questions?

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.

Today through next Thursday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Interactive live weather radar page. Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one. Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center. Click here.

Weather Prediction Center. Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite. Track clouds. Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars. If a radar does not update then try another one. If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5. You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging. We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather. The app typically will receive the messages instantly. I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated. You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.