Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

November 16 and 17, 2017: Windy with some storms.

10 AM update

Saturday, November 18, 2017

I will be sending out text/app messages today. Sign up for those at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Note: The NWS says their Hopkinsville radar is down for repairs. They do not know when it will be up and running.

Radars
http://weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

A windy day ahead of us with rapidly falling temperatures behind a strong cold front.

Wind gusts over the past few hours have ranged from 20 to 45 mph across the region. A few higher gusts, as well.

Temperatures are in the 60’s ahead of the front and 40’s behind the front.

A band of low topped convection/thunderstorms will develop this morning over southwest Illinois and southeast Missouri.

The line will push across the entire area.

Not sure how much lightning there will be with this line. Occasionally November low topped convection doesn’t produce much lightning.

This thin line of storms will race east at speeds of 50 to 60+ mph.

Some of the storms could produce damaging winds. There is a low risk for isolated tornadoes. A few reports of nickel size hail will also be a possibility.

Future-cast radar.

A band of gusty storms will form over the next few hours.  This band of storms will sweep eastward.  Damaging wind possible with a few of the storms.

Future-cast radar

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link
Bonus short and long range videos are available for Weather Talk subscribers.  This is in addition to the other products that you receive on a daily basis.
Videos are normally posted on Monday through Friday.  I personally update videos during active weather.
A Weather Talk subscription ($3 a month) is required to view the videos.  This helps cover monthly costs (which can run between one and two thousand dollars).

Videos are posted on the www.weathertalk.com website.  Once there, click the Beau Video-Cast tab.    Long Range Video Update

If you believe you missed a video then you may check the LIVE FEED link on the Weather Talk website.  You will find an archive of videos on that page.

You can also receive the videos via your Weather Talk app/text messages.  Turn text option FOUR to the on position.  The Weather Extra text option.  Sign up for the app/text messages, videos, and more at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Your $3 a month helps cover the following monthly costs.  These are my out of pocket expenses.

This forecast covers the counties in red.  The counties in orange are covered by the forecast discussion further down in the blog.

November 16, 2017
Thursday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Some increase in clouds overnight.  It will be chilly with patchy fog.  Winds may pick up late tonight.  
Temperatures
:    MO ~ 30 to 35      IL ~ 30 to 35      KY ~ 32 to 36
Wind chill values: N/A
Snow or ice: No
Winds
: East and southeast at 5 to 10 mph.  Winds may increase late tonight with gusts above 15 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather
?  Most likely none.
My confidence in the forecast verifying
: High
Is severe weather expected
? No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Is freezing rain, sleet, or snow expected?  No
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0% 
Coverage of precipitation
: Most likely none
Should I cancel my outdoor plans
: No

November 17, 2017
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  A mix of sun and clouds.  Warmer.  Gusty winds developing.  An isolated shower possible.  Most areas will remain dry.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 56 to 63    IL ~ 56 to 62      KY ~ 58 to 64
Snow or ice:  No
Winds: South wind increasing to 10 to 20 mph with higher gusts late in the day.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 10%
Coverage of precipitation: Isolated
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

Friday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Cloudy.  Breezy.  Steady or rising temperatures.  Showers and thunderstorms likely, especially after 12 a.m.  
Temperatures
:    MO ~ 58 to 64     IL ~ 56 to 64     KY ~ 58 to 64
Winds
: South and southwest at 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30+ mph.  
?  Wet roadways.  Gusty winds.  Lightning.  
? Severe weather appears unlikely.  Perhaps some stronger storms on Saturday morning.
Is freezing rain, sleet, or snow expected? No
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 50%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 60% 
: Isolated before 12 a.m.  Becoming scattered to perhaps numerous after 3 a.m.

November 18, 2017
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Strong winds likely.  Rapidly falling temperatures behind the cold front.  Showers and thunderstorms likely (esp before 2 p.m.)  A line of showers and thunderstorms is forecast to develop along the cold front.  The main line may develop east of the Mississippi River early Saturday morning.  Rain will end from west to east during the late morning and afternoon hours.  If you have morning/early afternoon plans, then have a plan B and monitor updates.  High temperatures will occur early in the day.  Falling temperatures behind the cold front.  Wind chills will drop below freezing during the afternoon hours.
Temperatures:  Highs will occur ahead of the cold front  MO ~ 62 to 65 (falling temps)    IL ~ 60 to 65 (falling temps)    KY ~ 60 to 65 (falling temps)
Wind chill values: 20’s and 30’s by the afternoon.
Winds: Morning winds from the southwest at 15 to 40 mph and gusty.  Winds becoming west/northwest during the late morning and afternoon at 15 to 35 mph and gusty.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Lightning.  Gusty winds.  A few intense thunderstorms possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Is severe weather expected?  A few storms could produce damaging winds.  Hail and tornado risk appears low.
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 70%    KY ~ 70%
Coverage of precipitation: Numerous before 2 p.m.  Tapering off from west to east through the day.  Ending last over the Pennyrile area of western Kentucky.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? Have a plan B.

Saturday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Clearing and colder.  Breezy.  Patchy fog possible.
Temperatures
:    MO ~ 28 to 35     IL ~ 28 to 34     KY ~ 30 to 35
Winds
: North winds at 6 to 12 mph.  Gusty winds the first half of the night.
?  Patchy fog.
: Medium
? No
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 10% 
: None

November 19, 2017
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Mostly sunny and much cooler.  A few passing clouds.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 42 to 46    IL ~ 42 to 46     KY ~ 44 to 48
Winds: Northwest winds at 6 to 12 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Coverage of precipitation: None
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No

Sunday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Clear and cold.
Temperatures
:    MO ~ 24 to 28     IL ~ 24 to 28     KY ~ 24 to 28
Winds
: Light west and northwest winds
?  Patchy fog.
? No

November 20, 2017
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Mostly sunny and cool.  A few passing clouds.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 50 to 55    IL ~ 50 to 55     KY ~ 50 to 55
Winds: South and southwest wind at 5 to 10 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Coverage of precipitation: None
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No

Monday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Clear and cold.
Temperatures
:    MO ~ 32 to 36     IL ~ 32 to 36     KY ~ 32 to 36
Winds
: South 5 to 10 mph
?  None
? No

School Bus Stop Forecast

Morning

Afternoon

2014-11-24_13-38-04

The National Weather Service definition of a severe thunderstorm is one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a  tornado.

Thursday night through Friday evening:  Severe weather is not anticipated.  Small chance of lightning during the day on Friday.

Friday night (late) and Saturday:  Thunderstorms are more likely late Friday night into early afternoon Saturday.  A few of the storms could produce strong winds.   Monitor updates.  A few storms could produce wind damage.

Weekly Severe Weather Outlook.  Late Friday night into early afternoon Saturday is being monitored for a few severe thunderstorms.  High wind is the main concern.

Thursday night through Tuesday night:  Accumulating wintry precipitation is not anticipated.

beausanalysis

Weather Highlights:

For a larger number of graphics and videos, please visit the Weather Talk website.

Link ~  Click here.

Tonight and Friday:

Calm weather is anticipated tonight into Friday morning.  We may have patchy fog tonight into Friday morning.

Winds will increase on Friday afternoon and night.  Gusts above 30 mph are likely, especially Friday night.

We will also have increasing clouds with small shower chances Friday afternoon and evening.  The bulk of the rain chances will arrive late Friday night into Saturday.

Saturday and Sunday:

The big weather story is a strong cold front that will sweep through our region on Saturday morning and afternoon.

A band of showers and thunderstorms will develop along the cold front.  The bulk of the activity will occur between 4 a.m. and 2 p.m., on Saturday.

Some of the storms could be intense with strong and gusty winds.

Here is the NAM future-cast radar.

The timestamp can be found in the upper left portion of the future-cast radar loop.  Click image to enlarge.

This model ends at 12 p.m., on Saturday.  The storms will continue to push east after that time.

Rain will end from west to east on Saturday late morning and afternoon.  Gusty winds will continue into Saturday afternoon.

Next weeks forecast graphics and videos can be found on the subscriber page.   Link ~  Click here.

Are you subscribing to Weather Talk app/text messages and videos?  This is what helps support all of the data you see each day.

We now offer premium videos for the short and long-range forecasts!  These videos are produced by a team of long-range forecast experts.  They are brought to you as bonus information.  Activate text option four in order to receive these on your app or via text.

Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

We offer an Apple and Android app (scroll to the bottom of this page for more information).

Were you aware that I hired a team of meteorologists for long range videos?

To learn more, click this link

http://cms.weathertalk.com/meet-the-team/

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Live lightning data ~ click here

12345r

We offer regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not update then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared.  You may also try restarting your browser.  This will usually fix any problems.

During the winter you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

National interactive radar:  Click this link.

The Beau Dodson Weather APP is ready for Apple and Android users.  The app provides a faster way for you to receive my text messages.  ATT and Verizon are not always reliable when it comes to speed.

Some of you have asked if you can receive the texts on your phone and the app.  The answer to that is, yes.  The Android app will automatically allow that to happen.  On the Apple app, however, you will need to open your app and click the settings button.  Make sure the green tab is OFF.  Off means you will still receive the texts to your phone and the app.  If you have any questions, then email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The app is for text subscribers.

The direct download, for the Apple app, can be viewed here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1190136514

Here is the download link for the Android version  Click Here

If you have not signed up for the texting service then you may do so at www.beaudodsonweather.com

——————————————————–

Your support helps with the following:

and

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Whom do you trust for your weather information?

I have studied weather, in our region, since the late 1970’s.  I have 40 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology and a Bachelor’s of Science.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.  I served from 2005 through 2015.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue.  2015 through current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

I am the chief meteorologist for Weather Talk LLC.

I am also a business owner in western Kentucky.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.

In 2005, I helped open the largest American Cross shelter in U.S. history.  This was in Houston, Texas.  I was deployed to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita.  I was a shelter manager of one of the Houston, Texas shelter divisions.

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  You need a trusted source for information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and this blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

awaremail

I typically send AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings.  The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions

Comments are closed.