Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

May 7, 2015: Some changes are coming for the weekend

Keep in mind, everyone…the Friday through Sunday rain chances will be associated with weak upper level disturbances moving through the area. It isn’t a strong cold front that sweeps in and out of here with one line of storms. The chances over the coming days will be scattered to at times likely. As each impulse moves through the area it will spark “some” precipitation.

If big clusters of storms form over Kansas and Oklahoma/Texas today through Sunday then that will factor into our weather, as well. Dying thunderstorm complexes leave outflow boundaries. These boundaries move through our region. They can spark a few showers/storms, as well.

One such dying area of precipitation is currently over eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas. It will shift east/northeast today.

Not a clear cut YES or NO rain forecast through the weekend. Thus, it will make it very hard to tell you it will or won’t rain at your exact location. Again, because this is not one strong front pushing through the region. It is a series of weak disturbances that will interact with the instability and moisture over our region.

Wish it were straight forward, because I know many of you have outdoor events.

That is why I have been saying since last Friday and Saturday to have a back up plan in the back of your mind. Plan B

We have some great sponsors for the Weather Talk Blog.  Please let our sponsors know that you appreciate their support for the Weather Talk Blog.

Milner and Orr Funeral Home and Cremation Services located in Paducah, Kentucky and three other western Kentucky towns – at Milner and Orr they believe in families helping families.  You can find Milner and Orr on Facebook, as well.

Logo- Plain JPEG

bottomlineitgif

This forecast update covers far southern Illinois, far southeast Missouri, and far western Kentucky. See the coverage map on the right side of the blog.

Remember that weather evolves.  Check back frequently for updates, especially during active weather.

The forecast numbers below may vary quite a bit across the region.  These are the averages.

With this type of pattern I can’t rule out a stray shower or thunderstorm in the region.  But, no organized precipitation is forecast until late in the week.  Just keep in mind…there could be a shower or storm popup.   Isolated in nature.

Thursday –  Partly sunny and warm.  A slight chance for a pop-up thunderstorm (less than 20% over western Kentucky and northwest Tennessee).  Showers and thunderstorms developing over southeast Missouri and southern Illinois – moving in from the southwest.  Chances for precipitation in those areas will be 40%-50%.  High temperatures will be in the lower to middle 80’s.  Winds southerly at 10-15 mph.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying is high
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? 
No reason to cancel plans, but monitor radars (esp southeast MO and southern IL)

Thursday night – Partly to mostly cloudy and mild.  A small chance for a thunderstorm at any given spot.  Especially over southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois.  Lows in the lower to middle 60’s.  South winds at 5-10 mph.
  No reason to cancel plans

Friday –  Partly cloudy.  Quite a few clouds.  Warm and humid.  A chance for widely scattered showers and thunderstorms (right now at any given location I would put the chance at 30%-40%).  Some questions on the timing of a disturbance coming out of the southwest/west.  High temperatures will be in the lower to middle 80’s.  Winds southerly at 10-15 mph.
No reason to cancel plans, but monitor radars as we will have a few showers and thunderstorms around the area.

Friday night – Partly to mostly cloudy and mild.  A 40% chance for a shower or thunderstorm.  Lows mostly in the lower to middle 60’s.  South/southwest winds at 5-10 mph.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying is medium
  No reason to cancel plans, but monitor radars as a few showers and storms are possible.

Saturday –  Quite a few clouds.  Warm and humid.  A chance for showers and thunderstorms.  Chances for precipitation will range from 40% to 60% across the region.  This does not look like an all day rain.  But, expect some precipitation on radar from time to time.  Perhaps the best chance will be during the 11 am through the afternoon.  High temperatures will be in the lower to middle 80’s.  Winds south/southwest at 10-15 mph.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying is medium
Monitor updates and have a plan B in mind.

Saturday night and Sunday – depending on the placement of a disturbance moving in from the west we will likely have some shower and thunderstorm activity in the region.  The question is coverage.  If you have outdoor plans then at least have a plan B in the back of your mind.  Right now it appears Saturday night chances will be around 40%-60% and Sunday might end being more like 40% chances.

Monday – Monitor updates concerning some heavier storms.  Precipitation chances increase to near 90% by Monday and/or Monday night along a cold front.

2015-05-06_8-32-53
2015-05-06_8-33-36

2015-04-30_12-59-25

2015-04-22_10-33-27
Sunrise and Sunset Times – Click Here

highverification

2015-05-06_8-29-20

The School Bus Stop Forecast is sponsored by TransAmerica Agency Network Paducah District – you can visit their Facebook page here and their home page here

2015-05-07_8-18-44

Current Temperatures Around The Local Area

2015-03-20_19-08-11
Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

beausanalysis

An explanation of what is happening in the atmosphere over the coming days…

Highlights

1.  The warm weather marches on!
2.  Rain and storm chances increasing by the weekend
3.  Strong storms on Monday?  See extended part of the Weather Talk discussion…scroll down

We have some weather changes in the forecast.  We have had an extended period of dry and warm weather across many of my forecast counties.  We did have some scattered storms on Tuesday (mainly over southeast Missouri).  Wednesday ended up mostly dry.

Thursday will bring only small precipitation chances to western Kentucky and northwest Tennessee.  But showers and storms are more likely over parts of southeast MO and southern IL.

Future-cast radar for later today (see the precipitation over parts of MO and IL).

3pmradar

Friday we will start to see the chances for scattered showers and thunderstorms increase.  I believe the chances on Friday won’t be as great as the chances on Saturday and perhaps Sunday.

If you have outdoor plans on Friday through Sunday then have a plan B in the back of your mind.  During that three day period of time…the best chance for precipitation will likely be on Saturday morning into Saturday afternoon.  Locally heavy rain is possible in pockets.  Lightning will be the main concern for outdoor events.

I would definitely have a plan B in mind.  I would not cancel or change any events.  I would monitor updates as we move forward.  Today’s data (Thursday’s data) will be helpful in starting to pin down the precipitation chances and timing.  I plan on updating the blog (at the top of the page) later today with new data.

I am starting to zero in on a couple of time frames for increased precipitation chances.  One of those will be Saturday morning into Saturday afternoon and another one on Monday.  Sunday chances might end up more scattered in nature.

Again, if you have outdoor plans then have a plan B.

Dew point will be high over the weekend.  It will feel muggy at times.  Warm temperatures.  Images are from weatherbell.com

These are the dew points on Saturday afternoon and evening.  Some of these numbers are reaching into the upper 60’s and lower 70’s.  Dew points in the 70’s are muggy!

What are dew points?  Great question – click here for more information

saturdayhighdepoint5pm

Here are the Sunday afternoon dew points

sundaydepoints

The Storm Prediction Center has outlined Sunday for a threat of some severe thunderstorms just to our west.   We could have some strong or severe storms in our region on Monday.  Right now the risk appears minimal, but is worth monitoring.

Let’s look over the SPC outlooks

This is for Saturday.  A severe thunderstorm outbreak is likely out in the Plains.  Not a good day for them.

saturdayoutbreak

For Sunday that area will shift a bit to the east.  Suspect it will mostly stay out of our region.  But, I will be monitoring it.

sudayevent

And then on Monday.  We are in a risk for perhaps a few stronger storms.  Maybe severe?  Uncertainty abounds this far out.  We definitely will have storms on Monday.  Whether they are severe…that is the question.

monday

page.htm

See the extended part of the forecast for a cold front that will sweep through the area early next week.

Thursday morning low temperature forecast

thursdaymorninglows

Thursday afternoon high temperature forecast

thursdayhigh2

Friday morning low temperature forecast

fridaymorninglows

Friday afternoon high temperature forecast

fridayhightemperatures

These kind of temperatures will continue into the weekend.  No worries about temperatures!  Just precipitation we have to watch out for.

Some great photographs from the Wunderground web-site.  I am a big fan of photography, as many of you know!

2015-05-06_8-15-39

2015-05-06_8-15-57

More photography images can be viewed on the Wunderground site

Don’t forget to support our sponsors!

2014-11-03_7-32-16

No major changes to the ongoing forecast.

whatamiconcered

No major concerns through Thursday.  Rain and storm chances go up by Friday into Monday.  I will be watching for some stronger storms on Monday.

Check out our sponsors!  There are more on the right side bar of the page, as well.  Be sure and let them know that you appreciate their sponsorship of the WeatherTalk daily weather bulletin.

2015-03-07_12-19-29
Premier Portable Buildings proudly serving our region.  For more information click the above ad or here
They can also be found on this Facebook page

G&C Multi-Services out of Paducah, Kentucky.  G & C Multi-Services is a service provider in Western Kentucky that provides industrial and commercial equipment fabrication, machine troubleshooting,  repair and maintenance, and installation.  They can custom fabricate steel, stainless, and aluminum products per customer specifications.

Visit their web-site here.  Or click the ad below!  Facebook page.

ad_forgenerator

march2015worthamad (2)
Wortham Dental
Care located in Paducah, Kentucky.  The gentle dentist.  Mercury free dentistry.  They also do safe Mercury removal.  You can find Wortham Dental Care on Facebook, as well

troversequipment

Trover’s Equipment and Lawn Care – Family owned and operated!  They are a dealer for Snapper, Simplicity, Snapper Pro, Bad Boy Mowers, and Intimidator Utility Vehicles. They are a Stihl and Dolmar power products dealer. They also are a dealer for Briggs & Stratton, Kohler gas & diesel engines, and Kawasaki engines. They service and repair just about any brand.  You can find them on  Facebook, as well

2015-03-27_21-14-30

Visit their web-site here.  Or, you can also visit their Facebook page.

2015-03-31_19-52-42

Endrizzi’s Storm Shelters – For more information click here.  Endrizzi Contracting and Landscaping can be found on Facebook, as well – click here

ECKELKAMP_43460

Gary Eckelkamp’s web-site click the above banner or click here

2015-03-07_17-31-34
Here are the current river stage forecasts.   You can click your state and then the dot for your location.  It will bring up the full forecast and hydrograph.

Click Here For River Stage Forecasts…

wildcard

The wild card tells you where the uncertainties are in the forecast

Wild card in this forecast –  The wild card continues to be centered around timing of precipitation on Saturday and Sunday.  Starting to zero in on Saturday late morning and afternoon and then again on Monday.  Perhaps Sunday chances will be more scattered.

2014-11-24_13-37-05

Can we expect severe thunderstorms over the next 24 to 48 hours?  Remember that a severe thunderstorm is defined as a thunderstorm that produces 58 mph winds or higher, quarter size hail or larger, and/or a tornado.

Thunderstorm threat level is  ZERO/ONE for Thursday.  A very isolated thunderstorm can’t completely be ruled out today through Thursday.
Thursday Severe Weather Outlook – Severe Weather Is Not Anticipated
Friday Severe Weather Outlook – Thunder possible
Saturday Severe Weather Outlook – Thunder possible
Sunday Severe Weather Outlook – Thunder possible
Monday Severe Weather Outlook – Monitor updates as a cold front approaches.  I can’t rule out some stronger storms.

levelnostorms

rainfallforecast

How much precipitation should we expect over the next few days?

Very isolated precipitation chances through Thursday.  If a thunderstorm were to pop up then of course it could produce an isolated downpour.  But, most areas will remain dry.

Rain chances start to increase on Friday, especially over southeast Missouri and parts of southwest Illinois.  Then Saturday into Monday will bring increasing rain chances over the entire area.  The highest chances for rain and storms continues to be centered on Monday.  That is when a cold front passes through the area.

There are still timing issues on precipitation for Saturday and Sunday.  There could be showers and some storms on radar at any given time on both days.  However, there should be peak times, as well.  Those peak times will be highly dependent on some very small disturbances that will pass through the region.

Here are the current forecast rainfall totals through Sunday morning.  Keep in mind that a thunderstorm can always drop a bit more rain than nearby locations.  Images are from weatherbell.com

sundaymorning7am Here are the forecast rainfall totals through Monday night

mondaynight

2015-01-15_12-00-23
This section of the blog is speculative forecast information.  Because it is past the range of what meteorologists can forecast accurately, it should be considered speculation.  Anything past day 5 is considered a long range forecast.

Highlights:

1.  Cold front arrives on Monday
2.  Strong storms possible on Monday

The main story for the extended forecast is the cold front that will sweep through the area on Monday.

This front will be accompanied by showers and thunderstorms.  A few of the storms could be strong.  Not sure about true severe weather just yet.  But, it is worth monitoring.

Several parameters for locally heavy rain and storms on Monday.  Let’s look them over.

This is the 1 am to 7 am rainfall totals from the GFS model from Hazwx.com

That precipitation will track eastward and spread across the rest of the area on Monday.

Click images for larger views

1amto7amrainfallmonday

Some question on the exact timing of the cold front on Monday.  If the cold front arrives in the afternoon then thunderstorm chances will increase a bit more.  Also the intensity of storms would be greater.  If the cold front arrives early then the instability might be lower.  Something I will be monitoring.

Here are the CAPE (energy) numbers for Monday late morning and early afternoon.  Certainly not eye popping numbers

1pmmondaycape

The image below is the PWAT values.  PWAT values are what meteorologists use to determine how much moisture there is in the entire atmospheric column.  From the surface to several thousand feet aloft.

These are some decent numbers (1.5 to 1.8″).  Lot of moisture to work with.  Could be some heavy downpours on Monday.

pwatvaluesmonday10am

Longer range (May into June)

Some early signals indicate June might bring below normal temperatures and above normal rainfall.  Long way off and I am not a huge fan of long range outlooks.  But, some charts are showing the above.  We shall see.

In the meantime, what about the coming weeks?  What are the charts showing?

Longer range outlook for temperatures below.  Precipitation could also be above normal during the time frame mentioned below.

This map is the forecast anomalies for May 6th through May 11th.  Will it be warmer than normal or cooler than normal?  According to this forecast it will be warmer than normal.  Lot of red on the map.

gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_29

Now, this second map is for May 11th through the 16th.  Cooler than normal?  Might be according to these charts.

The EC ensembles, however, indicate that above normal temperatures will continue through much of May.  We will see which one wins the temperature contest.

gefs_t2ma_5d_noram_49

There is some debate in the meteorological community about how our summer will pan out.  Some believe we may have a hot and dry summer.

The pattern for the last two years would indicate frequent northwest flow.  That would mean cooler than normal temperatures.  Is there reasons to believe this is going to change?  We have been in that pattern for a very long time.

We will see how it goes.

12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not seem to be updating then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

WEATHER RADAR PAGEClick here

We also have a new national interactive radar – you can view that radar by clicking here.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky – these are interactive radars. Local city radars – click here

NOTE:  Occasionally you will see ground clutter on the radar (these are false echoes).  Normally they show up close to the radar sites – including Paducah.

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

Regional Radar – Click on radar to take you our full radar page.

2014-09-10_2-58-39

Regional Radar

2014-11-03_15-49-30

Live Lightning Data – zoom and pan:  Click here
Live Lightning Data with sound (click the sound button on the left side of the page): Click here

2015-04-22_10-40-59
I also set up a storm tracking page with additional links (use during active weather for quick reference)
Storm Tracking Tool Page

clickherewatches

Current WARNINGS (a warning means take action now). Click on your county to drill down to the latest warning information. Keep in mind that there can be a 2-3 minute delay in the updated warning information.

I strongly encourage you to use a NOAA Weather Radio or warning cell phone app for the most up to date warning information. Nothing is faster than a NOAA weather radio.

Color shaded counties are under some type of watch, warning, advisory, or special weather statement.  Click your county to view the latest information.

Missouri Warnings

Illinois Warnings

Kentucky Warnings

nwssaying

Please visit your local National Weather Service Office by clicking here. The National Weather Service Office, for our region, is located in Paducah, Kentucky.  They have a lot of maps and information on their site.  Local people…local forecasters who care about our region.

2014-12-21_20-26-42

Here is the official 6-10 day and 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Check the date stamp at the top of each image (so you understand the time frame).

The forecast maps below are issued by the Weather Prediction Center (NOAA).

The latest 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Note the dates are at the top of the image.  These maps DO NOT tell you how high or low temperatures or precipitation will be.  They simply give you the probability as to whether temperatures or precipitation will be above or below normal.

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 37 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology from Mississippi State University and an Associate of Science (AS).  I am currently working on my Bachelor’s Degree in Geoscience.  Just need to finish two Spanish classes!

I am a member of the American Meteorological Society.  I am a NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.  And, I am the Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, and the blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on television or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

I am a recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.  In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.  I was recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

Many of my graphics are from www.weatherbell.com – a great resource for weather data, model data, and more

2014-11-24_13-59-16

2014-11-24_14-02-05

This blog was inspired by ABC 33/40’s Alabama Weather Blog – view their blog

Current tower cam view from the Weather Observatory- Click here for all cameras.

Southern Illinois Weather Observatory

The Weather Observatory

Southern Illinois Weather Observatory

WSIL TV 3 has a number of tower cameras. Click here for their tower camera page & Illinois Road Conditions

Marion, Illinois

WPSD TV 6 has a number of tower cameras. Click here for their tower camera page & Kentucky Road Conditions & Kentucky Highway and Interstate Cameras

Downtown Paducah, Kentucky

Benton, Kentucky Tower Camera – Click here for full view

Benton, Kentucky

I24 Paducah, Kentucky

I24 Mile Point 9 – Paducah, KY

I24 – Mile Point 3 Paducah, Kentucky

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions.

Comments are closed.