Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

March 4, 2019: Non-subscriber update. Cold.

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $5 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

The $5 will allow you to register up to seven phones!

For $5 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed messages from me to you.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.

• Daily forecast app/texts from my computer to your app/cell phone.
  • Social media links sent directly to your app/cell phone.  When I update the blog, videos, or Facebook you will receive the link.
  • AWARE emails.  These emails keep you well ahead of the storm. They give you several days of lead time before significant weather events.
  • Direct access to Beau via text and email.  Your very own personal meteorologist.  I work for you!
  • Missouri and Ohio Valley centered video updates
  • Long-range weather videos
  • Week one, two, three and four temperature and precipitation outlooks.
    Monthly outlooks.
  • Your subscription also will help support several local charities.

Would you like to subscribe?  Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Typical progression on a severe weather day for subscribers.

Click one of the links below to take you directly to each section.

1. Go to today’s forecast
    2. Go to the winter storm and severe weather outlook
    3. Go to the weather forecast discussion
    4. Go to the model future-cast radars
    5. Go to videos
    6. Go to weeks one, two, three, and four temperature and precipitation graphics
    7. Go to Weatherbrains
    8. View some of our charity work.  Your subscription dollars help support these causes.

These are bonus videos and maps for subscribers.  I bring these to you from the BAMwx team. I pay them to help with videos.

The Ohio and Missouri Valley videos cover most of our area. They do not have a specific Tennessee Valley forecast but may add one in the future.

The long-range video is technical. Over time, you can learn a lot about meteorology from the long range video. Just keep in mind, it is a bit more technical.

This product is for subscribers.

Subscribe at www.weathertalk.com
Subscriber graphics can be viewed on this page  CLICK HERE

Subscriber graphics can be viewed on this page  CLICK HERE

Click here if you would like to return to the top of the page

My regular detailed text forecast can be found below these graphics.

My text forecast below these graphics may vary a bit.

Missouri

Illinois

Kentucky

Tennessee

1.   Cold and dry today through Wednesday night.
  2.   Tracking showers by Thursday afternoon and night.
  3.   A stronger storm system possible Saturday into Sunday morning.

Today: No
Tomorrow:  No

Confidence rating explained.

• High confidence is 70% to 100%.  This means that the forecast is likely to verify.
  • Medium confidence is 40% through 60%.  This means that there could be adjustments in the forecast.
  • Low confidence is 0% to 30%.  This means that dramatic changes in the forecast are likely.

Today through Wednesday night.

1.  Is accumulating snow or ice in the forecast?  No. 
  2.  Is lightning in the forecast?  No.
  3.  Is severe weather in the forecast?  No.  
    *  The NWS officially defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
  4. Is Flash flooding in the forecast?  No.  General river flooding, however, will continue.

Thursday through next Wednesday the 13th

• Is accumulating snow or ice in the forecast?  Most likely no.  Some models show a rain/snow mix Thursday night.   Low confidence.
  • Is lightning in the forecast?  Monitor the weekend.
  • Is severe weather in the forecast?  I am monitoring Saturday/Saturday night. 
    *  The NWS officially defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
  • Is flash flooding in the forecast?  I am monitoring Saturday/Saturday night.  General river flooding will continue.

* The Missouri Bootheel includes Dunklin, New Madrid, and Pemiscot Counties
* Northwest Kentucky includes Daviess, Henderson, McLean Union, and Webster Counties

March 4, 2019
Monday’s Forecast: Partly cloudy.  Colder.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High  (90% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  28° to 32°     SE MO  24° to 28°     South IL  22° to 26°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  24° to 26°    West KY  25° to 30°     NW TN  28° to 32°
Wind direction and speed:  North and northwest at 7 to 14 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 8° to 20°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?  MO Bootheel  0%     MO  0%     IL   0%    Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  0%     Western KY  0%    NW TN  0%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry.
Coverage of precipitation: None
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Low wind chill values.  There could still be some icy roads.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
UV Index: 4 moderate
Sunrise:   6:22 AM

Monday night Forecast: Mostly clear. A few passing clouds.  Cold.  Cold wind chill values.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High (80% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  14° to 16°     SE MO  12° to 16°     South IL  12° to 16°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  12° to 15°    West KY  14° to 18°     NW TN  14° to 18°
Wind direction and speed:  North and northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 5° to 15°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?  MO Bootheel  0%      Southeast MO   0%      Southern IL   0%      Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  0%     Western KY  0%      NW TN   0%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry
Coverage of precipitation:  None
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Low wind chill values.
Sunset:   5:52 PM
Moonrise:   5:33 AM
The phase of the moon:   Waning  Crescent
Moonset:  4:08 PM

March 5, 2019
Tuesday’s Forecast
: Mostly sunny.  Chilly.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High (70% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  34° to 38°     SE MO  32° to 36°     South IL  30° to 35°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  26° to 30°    West KY  32° to 35°     NW TN 33° to 36°
Wind direction and speed:  West at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 10° to 20°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?  MO Bootheel  0%     MO  0%     IL   0%    Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  0%     Western KY  0%    NW TN  0%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?   Early morning wind chill values will be in the 10 to 15-degree range.
Sunrise:   6:22 AM

Tuesday night Forecast: Mostly clear. A few passing clouds.  Cold wind chill values.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High (70% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  15° to 18°     SE MO  13° to 16°     South IL  13° to 16°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  13° to 16°    West KY  14° to 18°     NW TN  16° to 18°
Wind direction and speed:  Northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 0° to 10°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?  MO Bootheel  0%      Southeast MO   0%      Southern IL   0%      Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  0%     Western KY  0%      NW TN   0%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Low wind chill values.
Sunset:   5:52 PM
Moonrise:   5:33 AM
The phase of the moon:   Waning  Crescent
Moonset:  4:08 PM

March 6, 2019
Wednesday’s Forecast
:   Mostly sunny.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium  (60% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  38° to 42°     SE MO  36° to 40°     South IL  35° to 38°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  34° to 38°    West KY  35° to 40°     NW TN  38° to 42°
Wind direction and speed:  Northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 20° to 30°
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise:   6:19 AM

Wednesday night Forecast: Partly cloudy.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium (60% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  25° to 30°     SE MO  24° to 28°     South IL  23° to 26°     Northwest KY (near Indiana border)  24° to 26°    West KY  24° to 28°     NW TN  26° to 28°
Wind direction and speed:  South at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 25° to 35°
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunset:   5:54 PM
Moonrise:   6:37 AM
The phase of the moon:   New
Moonset:  6:01 PM

Learn more about the UV index readings.  Click here.

Thursday:  Cloudy with a chance of an afternoon shower.  Rain is more likely Thursday night.  Highs in the 40’s.  Lows in the 30’s.

Friday:  Mostly cloudy.  A rain shower possible.  Best chance will be during the morning hours.  Highs in the 50’s.  Lows in the 40’s.

Saturday:  Cloudy with a chance of showers and storms.  Highs in the 60’s.  Lows in the 40’s.

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.

Today and tomorrow:  No severe weather concerns.

Tuesday through Sunday:  I am monitoring Saturday/Saturday night into Sunday morning.  Thunderstorms are possible.

Monday through Monday Cold air into Wednesday.

Areas without power, because of flooding, could have issues with pipes busting and ice forming.  Standing water may freeze in flood areas, as well.  This is especially true of the backwater.

Here is the latest graphic from the WPC/NOAA.

This map shows you liquid and does not assume precipitation type.  In other words, melted precipitation totals.

48-hour precipitation outlook.

Here is the seven-day precipitation forecast.  This includes day one through seven.

Subscribers, do you need a forecast for an outdoor event?

Did you know that you can find me on Twitter?  Click here to view my Twitter weather account.

Radar Link: Interactive local city-view radars & regional radars.

During winter weather be sure and click the winterize button above each city-view radar.  This will show you the precipitation type.

Click the image for an example of how to show winter precipitation type

You will also find clickable warning and advisory buttons on the local city-view radars.

If the radar is not updating then try another one. If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5.  You may also try restarting your browser.

Not working?  Email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center. Click here.

Weather Prediction Center. Click here..

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite. Track clouds. Click here.

GOES 16 slider tool.  Click here.

College of Dupage satellites.  Click here

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

1.  Cold weather will linger Wednesday.
  2.  Precipitation chances Thursday and Friday.
  3.  A stronger storm system is possible Saturday into Sunday morning.  Locally heavy rain possible.  I am monitoring the risk of storms.

Have there been any changes in the forecast over the last 24 hours?

I adjusted Tuesday’s temperatures.  Raised them a bit.

Does the forecast require action?

Yes.  Bitterly cold wind chill values will require protective clothing.

Yes.  Avoid flooded roadways.

Widespread river flooding continues across the region.

Forecast discussion.

Here is my snowfall forecast from Friday/Saturday.  You can see the yellow numbers represent my forecast.  The white numbers represent what was reported to the NWS.

Many of you had sleet and snow.  It was difficult to achieve much in the way of accumulation.  Warm road temperatures.  Warm ground temperatures.  The March sun.  Time of day.  Precipitation rates, for the most part, were not all that great.

Some accumulation did occur.  There were even quite a few wrecks in western Kentucky.

White is what was reported to the NWS.  Yellow was my forecast.

A look ahead.

Monday through Wednesday night:

No precipitation concerns.

Bitterly cold air will be the main concern.  Temperatures will be well below seasonal levels.

Be sure and watch the kids.  Gloves are encouraged with wind chill values during the morning hours in the -5 to 10 above range today and tomorrow.

Wind chill is an important part of the forecast.  It is not a made up number to make it feel colder.

Areas in the flood zone are going to have to deal with ice forming in homes without power.   Ice forming in backwater areas/still water areas.  Areas without power could also experience pipes that burst.  Not the best forecast for those dealing with flooding.

Let me show you the temperature departure maps.

Normal highs are around 54 degrees.  Normal lows are in the 30’s.

This is 12 PM today.  Well below normal!

Monday 12 PM departures

Tuesday at 12 PM departures

Wednesday at 12 PM departures

Thursday through Sunday

Make sure you have WeatherOne on.

That is found under your personal notification settings.  Then click the first button.  WeatherOne.  Green is on.

River Flooding To Continue

River flooding is going to continue through the week.  I know many of you are having flooding issues.

Speaking of flooding, here are some links to help you track the crest numbers.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

Model Future-cast Radars.  What the models believe the radar may look like.

No radar to look at today.

Dry weather today through Wednesday night.

Current conditions.

Forty-eight-hour temperature outlook.

VIDEO UPDATES

These are bonus videos and maps for subscribers. I bring these to you from the BAMwx team. I pay them to help with videos.

The Ohio and Missouri Valley videos cover most of our area. They do not have a specific Tennessee Valley forecast but they may add one in the future.

The long-range video is a bit technical. Over time, you can learn a lot about meteorology from the long range video.

NOTE: These are usually not updated on Saturday or Sunday unless there is active weather.

The Ohio Valley video

This will be updated between 8 and 9 AM

Long-range This video.

This will be updated between 10 and 11 AM

The Missouri Valley video (is usually updated during the late morning hours)

Here is the latest WPC/NOAA 6 to 10 & 8 to 14-day temperature outlooks.

** NOTE:  See our own more detailed in-house long-range forecast graphics below these.  They may not always agree **

The cool colors indicate below normal temperatures.  The darker the blue the greater the chance of below normal temperatures.

The warm colors represent the probability of above normal temperatures.

Days six through ten temperature outlook

Confidence % that it will be above or below normal?

Days six through ten precipitation outlook

The darker colors represent high confidence in above normal precipitation.

Days eight through fourteen temperature outlook

Days eight through fourteen precipitation outlook

The darker colors represent high confidence in above normal precipitation.

I bring the following long-range outlooks from the BAMwx team.  They are excellent long-range forecasters.  These are more detailed than the images above.

Remember, long-range outlooks are always going to be a lower confidence level than short-term forecasts.

Long-range forecasting is not an exact science. There are many variables that determine the eventual outcome of a long-range forecast.

Outlook definitions
EC = Equal chances of above or below normal
BN= Below normal
M/BN = Much below normal
AN = Above normal
M/AN = Much above normal
E/AN = Extremely above normal

Normal high temperatures for this time of the year are around 52 degrees.
Normal low temperatures for this time of the year are around 32 degrees.

Normal precipitation during this time period ranges from 0.75″ to 1.00″

This outlook covers March 4th through March 10th 

The precipitation forecast is PERCENT OF NORMAL. For example, if your normal rainfall is 1.00″ and the graphic shows 25%, then that would mean 0.25″ of rain is anticipated.

Normal high temperatures for this time of the year are around 55 degrees
Normal low temperatures for this time of the year are around 35 degrees

Normal precipitation during this time period ranges from 0.75″ to 1.00″

This outlook covers  March 11th through the 18th 

The precipitation forecast is PERCENT OF NORMAL. For example, if your normal rainfall is 1.00″ and the graphic shows 25%, then that would mean 0.25″ of rain is anticipated.

Outlook definitions
EC = Equal chances of above or below normal
BN= Below normal
M/BN = Much below normal
AN = Above normal
M/AN = Much above normal

Normal high temperatures for this time of the year are around 57 degrees
Normal low temperatures for this time of the year are around 38 degrees

Normal precipitation during this time period ranges from 1.50″ to 1.90″

This outlook covers March 15th through March 28th

The precipitation forecast is PERCENT OF NORMAL. For example, if your normal rainfall is 1.00″ and the graphic shows 10%, then that would mean 0.10″ of rain is anticipated.

Outlook definitions
EC= Equal chances of above or below normal
BN= Below normal
M/BN = Much below normal
AN = Above normal
M/AN = Much above normal

March temperature and precipitation outlook

April temperature and precipitation outlook

May temperature and precipitation outlook

Here is the preliminary March, April, and May temperature and precipitation forecast.

Temperature outlook

Precipitation outlook

A new weather podcast is now available! Weather Geeks (which you might remember is on The Weather Channel each Sunday)
To learn more visit their website. Click here.
WeatherBrains Episode 684

Also joining us as Guest WeatherBrain No. 2. is the Chief Meteorologist at FOX29 in San Antonio and is the President and CEO of the National Tropical Weather Conference.  Alex Garcia, welcome to the WeatherBrains!

Last but not least, the Vice President for Operations of the National Tropical Weather Conference joins us on the show.  In addition, he’s the Chief Meteorologist at KRGV in Weslaco, TX.   Tim Smith, welcome!

Other discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• National Tropical Weather Conference upcoming soon in South Padre
  • Foot of rain falls in parts of Southeast
  • EF3 in Columbus, MS on 2/23/19
  • The Astronomy Report from Tony Rice
  • and more!

Link to their website https://weatherbrains.com/

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

Find Beau on Facebook!  Click the banner.

Find Beau on Twitter!   Share your weather photos!  @beaudodson

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Click here to go to the top of the page

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects? Not a subscriber? Becoming one at www.weathertalk.com

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

Comments are closed.