Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

February 11, 2019: Non-subscriber update. Subscribers, see the update below this one. Wet!

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $5 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

The $5 will allow you to register up to seven phones!

For $5 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed messages from me to you.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.

• Daily forecast app/texts from my computer to your app/cell phone.
  • Social media links sent directly to your app/cell phone.  When I update the blog, videos, or Facebook you will receive the link.
  • AWARE emails.  These emails keep you well ahead of the storm. They give you several days of lead time before significant weather events.
  • Direct access to Beau via text and email.  Your very own personal meteorologist.  I work for you!
  • Missouri and Ohio Valley centered video updates
  • Long-range weather videos
  • Week one, two, three and four temperature and precipitation outlooks.
    Monthly outlooks.
  • Your subscription also will help support several local charities.

Would you like to subscribe?  Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Typical progression on a severe weather day for subscribers.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given my personal attention during significant weather events.

WWW.WEATHERTALK.COM subscribers, here is my day to day schedule for your weather products.

These are bonus videos and maps for subscribers.  I bring these to you from the BAMwx team. I pay them to help with videos.

The Ohio and Missouri Valley videos cover most of our area. They do not have a specific Tennessee Valley forecast but may add one in the future.

The long-range video is technical. Over time, you can learn a lot about meteorology from the long range video. Just keep in mind, it is a bit more technical.

This product is for subscribers.

Subscribe at www.weathertalk.com
Subscriber graphics can be viewed on this page  CLICK HERE

NOTE:

Use the regional radars or neighboring ones.  The National Weather Service is repairing their radar (Paducah).  That means some of the radars won’t work.

Again, use some of the neighoring radars or the regional ones.

Click here for your interactive local city-view radars & regional radars.

February 11, 2019

Monday’s Forecast
:  Flood watch.   Rain.  Locally heavy rain.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High  (80% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  48° to 54°      SE MO  44° to 50°      South IL  42° to 50°     West KY  48° to 52°     NW TN  50° to 54°
Wind direction and speed:  East and southeast at 4 to 8 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast:
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel  100%      MO  100%       IL   100%      KY  100%       TN  100%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry.
Coverage of precipitation:  Numerous
Is flash flooding anticipated?   Yes.  Some flooding will be possible.
Will there be accumulating snow or ice?  No
Will non-accumulating snow or ice occur?  No
Are icy road conditions anticipated
?  No
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS officially defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Is lightning anticipated?  A few lightning strikes are possible.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?   Wet roadways.  Monitor the risk of flooding.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B
UV Index:   1  Low
Sunrise:   6:49 AM

Monday night Forecast:  Flood watch.  Cloudy.  Rain.  Locally heavy rain is possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High (90% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  48° to 50°      SE MO  38° to 44°      South IL  42° to 46°     West KY  48° to 50°       NW TN  48° to 54°
Wind direction and speed: South becoming south and southwest at 7 to 14 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 30° to 40°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel   80%      MO   80%      IL   80%      KY  80%       TN   80%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry
Is flash flooding anticipated?  Some flooding will be possible.
Will there be accumulating snow or ice?   No
?  No
Is severe weather expected? No
The NWS officially defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Is lightning anticipated?  A few lightning strikes are possible.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Patchy fog.  Monitor the risk of flooding.
Sunset:   5:30 PM
Moonrise:   10:30 AM
The phase of the moon:   Waxing Crescent
Moonset:   11:58 PM

February 12, 2019
Tuesday’s Forecast
:  Becoming windy.  Mostly cloudy.  Rain showers again possible.  Rain may end as snow showers.  Temperatures may fall through the day (esp western and northern half of the region).
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High  (70% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  54° to 58°      SE MO  48° to 52°      South IL  42° to 50°     West KY  48° to 52°     NW TN  54° to 58°
Wind direction and speed:  West at 15 to 35 mph and gusty
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast:  38° to 48°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel  60%      MO  60%       IL   60%      KY  60%       TN  60%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry.
Coverage of precipitation:  Scattered
Is flash flooding anticipated?   The risk of flash flooding will diminish through the day as rain ends west to east.
Will there be accumulating snow or ice?  Monitor
Will non-accumulating snow or ice occur?  Possible
?  Monitor
Is lightning anticipated?  No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?   Wet roadways.  Monitor the flooding situation.   Monitor the chance of snow.
UV Index:   3 moderate
Sunrise:   6:48 AM

Tuesday night Forecast:  Clearing and chilly.  Breezy during the evening hours.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High   (70% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  30° to 32°      SE MO  25° to 30°      South IL  25° to 30°     West KY  26° to 32°        NW TN  28° to 34°
Wind direction and speed:  West at 10 to 20 mph and gusty
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast:  20° to 32°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel   0%      MO   0%      IL   0%      KY  0%       TN   0%
Note, what does the % chance actually mean?   A 20% chance of rain does not mean it won’t rain.  It simply means most areas will remain dry
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Is flash flooding anticipated?  No
?  No
Is lightning anticipated? No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunset:   5:32 PM
Moonrise:   11:03 AM
The phase of the moon:   First Quarter
Moonset:   12:01 AM

February 13, 2019
Wednesday’s Forecast
:   Partly sunny.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High  (80% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  50° to 54°      SE MO  48° to 54°      South IL  46° to 52°     West KY  48° to 52°     NW TN  50° to 55°
Wind direction and speed:  Southwest at 7 to 14 mph
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel 0%      MO  0%       IL   0%      KY  0%       TN  0%
Is flash flooding anticipated?   No
?  No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?   None
UV Index:   3  Moderate
Sunrise:   6:47 AM

Wednesday night Forecast:  Increasing clouds late
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High (70% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  38° to 42°      SE MO  36° to 40°      South IL  36° to 40°     West KY  38° to 44°        NW TN  40° to 44°
Wind direction and speed:  South at 7 to 14 mph and gusty
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel   0%      MO   0%      IL   0%      KY  0%       TN   0%
?  No
Sunset:   5:33 PM
Moonrise:   11:41 AM
The phase of the moon:   Waxing Gibbous
Moonset:   1:01 AM

February 14, 2019
Thursday’s Forecast
:   Becoming cloudy.  Scattered showers.  Mild.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium  (60% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  55° to 60°      SE MO  54° to 58°      South IL  54° to 58°     West KY  54° to 58°     NW TN  56° to 60°
Wind direction and speed:  South and southwest at 8 to 16 mph
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel 50%      MO  50%       IL   60%      KY  60%       TN  60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Perhaps numerous
?  No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B and monitor updates
Sunrise:   6:45 AM

Thursday night Forecast: Cloudy with rain showers.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium (60% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  42° to 44°      SE MO  38° to 44°      South IL  38° to 44°     West KY  44° to 48°        NW TN  44° to 48°
Wind direction and speed:  South at 10 to 20 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 20° to 30°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel   60%      MO   60%      IL   60%      KY  60%       TN   60%
?  No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.
Sunset:   5:34 PM
Moonrise:   12:25 PM
Moonset:   2:05 AM

February 15, 2019
Friday’s Forecast
:   Cloudy.  Rain showers again possible.  Turning colder with falling afternoon temperatures.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium  (60% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  48° to 54°      SE MO  54° to 58°      South IL  44° to 48°     West KY  50° to 54°     NW TN  50° to 54°
Wind direction and speed:  West and southwest at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 25 mph
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel 60%      MO  60%       IL   60%      KY  60%       TN  60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Perhaps numerous
?  No
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways
Sunrise:   6:44 AM

Friday night Forecast: Cloudy with rain ending.  A snow shower possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium (40% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  24° to 28°      SE MO  22° to 26°      South IL  20° to 25°     West KY  24° to 28°        NW TN  24° to 28°
Wind direction and speed:  West and northwest at 6 to 12 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 14° to 20°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel   30%      MO   30%      IL   30%      KY  30%       TN   30%
Coverage of precipitation:  Ending
Will there be accumulating snow or ice?   Unlikely
Will non-accumulating snow or ice occur?  Some snow showers are possible
?  Unlikely
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Monitor updates in case snow showers linger.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates
Sunset:   5:35 PM
Moonrise:   1:18 PM
Moonset:   3:09 AM

February 16, 2019
Saturday’s Forecast
:   Mostly sunny and chilly.
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  38° to 42°      SE MO  35° to 40°      South IL  34° to 38°     West KY  35° to 40°     NW TN  35° to 40°
Wind direction and speed:  Northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 28° to 34°
What is the chance/probability of precipitation?   MO Bootheel 0%      MO  0%       IL   0%      KY  0%       TN  0%
?  No
Sunrise:   6:43 AM

Saturday night Forecast:  Mostly clear and cold.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium (40% confidence in the forecast)
Temperature range:  MO Bootheel  24° to 28°      SE MO  22° to 26°      South IL  20° to 25°     West KY  24° to 28°        NW TN  24° to 28°
Wind direction and speed:  Northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 16° to 20°
?  No
Sunset:   5:36 PM
Moonrise:  2:18 PM
Moonset:   4:12 AM

February 17, 2019
Sunday’s Forecast
:   Partly sunny and chilly.
Temperature range:   MO Bootheel  38° to 42°      SE MO  36° to 42°      South IL  36° to 42°     West KY  38° to 44°     NW TN  42° to 45°
Wind direction and speed:  Northeast at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 30° to 35°
?  No
Sunrise:   6:42 AM

Sunday night Forecast:  Increasing clouds.  Chilly.
Temperature range:  MO Bootheel  25° to 30°      SE MO  24° to 28°      South IL  24° to 28°     West KY  24° to 28°        NW TN  26° to 32°
Wind direction and speed:  Variable at 5 to 10 mph
Wind chill or heat index (feels like) temperature forecast: 18° to 24°
?  No
Sunset:   5:37 PM
Moonrise:  3:78 PM
Moonset:   5:11 AM

Learn more about the UV index readings. Click here.

The wind speed and direction forecast.

Today through Thursday:

I am monitoring rain ending as snow on Tuesday.  Low confidence in that happening.  Perhaps the best chance would be over southeast Missouri and southern Illinois.
Wintry precipitation is unlikely Wednesday into Thursday night.

un

likely.

Friday through Monday:  I am monitoring Friday and again Monday.  Rain may end as snow by Friday or Friday evening.  Low confidence.  I am also watching next week.  Colder air may be in place as several precipitation events move through the region.

Beau’s exclusive eight-day winter weather outlook!

The highest number possible on days 5, 6, 7, and 8 will be twenty-percent.

Daily outlook:

Here is the latest graphic from the WPC/NOAA.

This map shows you liquid and does not assume precipitation type.  In other words, melted precipitation totals.

Additional rain today into tonight.

Some of the rain will be heavy with a widespread additional one to three inches of rain.

Subscribers, do you need a forecast for an outdoor event?

Did you know that you can find me on Twitter?

During winter weather be sure and click the winterize button above each city-view radar.  This will show you the precipitation type.

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.

Today through Sunday:  No severe weather concerns.  I can’t rule out lightning today and tonight.

Interactive live weather radar page. Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one. Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center. Click here.

Weather Prediction Center. Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite. Track clouds. Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

1.   Rain, rain, and more rain.
  2.   River flooding.
  3.   Another precipitation system arrives Thursday and Friday.

Changes over the last 24 hours.

No major adjustments in the short term forecast.

Confidence in the forecast

Confidence in the forecast today through Wednesday is high.

Action?

Avoid flooded roadways.

Rivers will continue to rise over the coming days.  Flooding is likely along many rivers.

Forecast Analysis and Numerical Model Guidance

We experienced rain, snow, and ice late Saturday night into Sunday morning.  That precipitation caused major travel headaches in some of my forecast counties.  Numerous wrecks were reported.

Some of you experienced ice late Saturday night but the precipitation had changed to plain rain by the time you ventured out Sunday morning.  Several churches were closed because of the ice.

Yet another rain event is underway across the region.  We do not need this rain.  We can’t seem to shake this pattern.  It appears that it will continue.  One difference will be colder air next week.

These maps below show you how much rain has already fallen over the past seven days.

Click to enlarge these images

(Again, this is what has already fallen over the last seven days)

Today and Tonight

You can see the rain extends from Texas into the Middle Atlantic region.

See our live radars for the latest radar images.  This image was from 7:30 AM.

Green is rain.  Yellow is moderate rain.  Blue, orange, and pink are snow to a wintry mix.

How much more rain will fall today into Tuesday morning?

A widespread one to three-inch rain event with pockets of three+ inches will be the general rule across the region.

Of course, this will only cause additional problems on area streams and rivers.

Ditches are likely to flood in some areas, well.  There will be a lot of field flooding.

The rain will increase in intensity this afternoon and tonight.  A few thunderstorms are also possible.

The WPC has placed portions of our region in a marginal to moderate risk of excessive rainfall.  That simply means flooding is a possibility.

The rain will come to an end tonight and early Tuesday morning.

The rain could end as snow.  Right now, that is part of the forecast that I am monitoring.

Here is the NAM 3K model future-cast radar.

Green, yellow, and orange represent rain.  Blue is snow.  Red nad purple represent a wintry mix.

Tuesday night into Wednesday is expected to be precipitation free.

Yet another rain maker arrives by Thursday and Friday.  Some of the data suggest it may end as snow.  I would not become overly excited at this point.

I will monitor trends.

You can see that system here on the GFS model guidance.

Green is rain.  Blue is snow.

Colder air is likely to arrive Friday night into a portion of next week.

We will also have additional precipitation chances next week.  I am tracking at least two or three systems.

Highs today

Lows tonight

Highs tomorrow

Lows tomorrow night

See our local city-view radars for live data.  Click here for your interactive local city-view radars & regional radars.

Satellite

Today’s image is the IR satellite.  You can see thick clouds over our region.

College of Dupage satellites.  Click here

Interactive GOES R satellite. Track clouds. Click here.

Here is the latest WPC 6 to 10 and 8 to 14-day temperature outlooks.

** NOTE:  See our own in-house long-range forecast graphics further down in this blog update **

Days 6 through 10

The blue colors indicate below normal temperatures.  The darker the blue the greater the chance of below normal temperatures.

Temperature outlook

Confidence % that it will be above or below normal?

Precipitation outlook

Days 8 through 14

Precipitation

SPRING OUTLOOK

Outlook definitions

EC = Equal chances of above or below normal
BN= Below normal
M/BN = Much below normal
AN = Above normal
M/AN = Much above normal
E/AN = Extremely above normal

March temperature and precipitation outlook

April temperature and precipitation outlook

May temperature and precipitation outlook

Here is the preliminary March, April, and May temperature and precipitation forecast.

Temperature outlook

Precipitation outlook

Long Range Temperature Anomaly Forecast

Let’s look at the temperature anomaly forecast map from the long-range GFS model guidance.

This graphic shows you whether temperatures are forecast to average above or below normal.

Red shades indicate above normal temperatures.  Orange and red indicate much above normal temperatures.

Blue shades represent below normal temperatures.  Purple to pinkish represents much below normal temperatures.

The time-stamp is located in the upper left portion of the map animation.

Click the image to enlarge it.

VIDEO UPDATES

The February update has been posted.  Temperature forecast from the long-range team.

SPRING OUTLOOK

Here is the preliminary March, April, and May temperature and precipitation forecast.

Temperature and precipitation outlooks

Long Range Temperature Anomaly Forecast

I bring these to you from the BAMwx team. They are excellent long-range forecasters.

Remember, long-range outlooks are a bit of skill, understanding weather patterns, and luck combined. It is not an exact science.

A new weather podcast is now available! Weather Geeks (which you might remember is on The Weather Channel each Sunday)

To learn more visit their website. Click here.

WeatherBrains Episode 681

First joining us tonight is Leslie Chapman-Henderson, CEO of FLASH (Federal Alliance for Safe Homes), to congratulate our very own James Spann on winning the 2019 National Weather Person of the Year award.   Leslie, thanks for joining us!

Tonight’s Guest WeatherBrain is a retired National Weather Service WCM for Little Rock, Arkansas.  After many years of service, he retired in 2015.  John Robinson, welcome to the show!

Also joining us as Guest Panelist is is the Field Meteorologist and Executive Weather Producer for KOCO 5 First Alert Weather.  Mike Armstrong, welcome!

Discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• James wins WeatherPerson of the Weather 2019
  • American Airlines Flight 1420 crash of 1999
  • 1999 Arkansas tornado outbreak
  • Correlations between tornado fatalities and socioeconomic status?
  • The Astronomy Report from Tony Rice
  • and more!

Link to their website https://weatherbrains.com/

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars. If a radar does not update then try another one. If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5. You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging. We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather. The app typically will receive the messages instantly. I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated. You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.