Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

December 5, 2016: Rain event anticipated for Monday night/Tuesday

We have some great sponsors for the Weather Talk Blog.  Please let our sponsors know that you appreciate their support for the Weather Talk Blog.

Milner and Orr Funeral Home and Cremation Services located in Paducah, Kentucky and three other western Kentucky towns – at Milner and Orr they believe in families helping families.  You can find Milner and Orr on Facebook, as well.

Logo- Plain JPEG

2015-03-27_21-14-30

Are you in need of new eye glasses?  New contacts?  Perhaps you need an eye exam.  Then be sure and visit the Eye Care Associates of western Kentucky (the Paducah location).
For all of your families eye care needs.  Visit their web-site here.  Or, you can also visit their Facebook page.

2015-10-08_17-58-26

Best at Enabling Body Shop Profitability since 1996. Located In Paducah Kentucky and Evansville Indiana; serving all customers in between. They provide Customer Service, along with all the tools necessary for body shops to remain educated and competitive. Click the logo above for their main web-site.  You can find McClintock Preferred Finishes on Facebook, as well

BANNER OPTION 2
Expressway Carwash and Express Lube are a locally owned and operated full service Carwash and Lube established in 1987. They have been proudly serving the community for 29 years now at their Park Avenue location and 20 years at their Southside location. They have been lucky enough to partner with Sidecar Deli in 2015, which allows them to provide their customers with not only quality service, but quality food as well.  . If you haven’t already, be sure to make Expressway your one stop shop, with their carwash, lube and deli. For hours of operation and pricing visit www.expresswashlube.com or Expressway Carwash on Facebook.

2016-10-30_19-43-57

I have launched the new weather texting service!  I could use your help.  Be sure and sign up and fully support all of the weather data you see each day.

This is a monthly subscription service.  Supporting this helps support everything else.  The cost is $3 a month for one phone, $5 a month for three phones, and $10 a month for seven phones.

Winter storm forecasts will be posted on the www.weathertalk.com website.  Look under the Daily Weather Summary tab.  Forecasts begin the week of Thanksgiving.

For more information visit BeauDodsonWeather.com

Or directly sign up at Weathertalk.com

2015-12-18_21-14-12

bottomlineitgif

This forecast update covers far southern Illinois, far southeast Missouri, and far western Kentucky. See the coverage map on the right side of the blog…

Winter storm forecasts will be posted on the www.weathertalk.com website (under the Daily Weather Summary tab).  Remember, a typical month costs me over $700 to provide you all of the data and forecasts.  Your support is crucial.

The winter storm forecasts can be found under the Daily Weather Summary tab.  You will also find the password there.  The password will NOT be the one you use to sign into your personal weather talk account.

The winter storm outlook has been updated (Wednesday, November 30th)  The next update will be Monday, December 5th

Here is the link to the new update – Daily Weather Summary tab

2016-11-26_12-47-34

Your proceeds also go towards the Shadow Angel Foundation projects.  Including our yearly teddy bear program.  We purchase brand new GUND bears for Child Watch and PASAC.

2016-12-03_7-10-32

December 4, 2016
Sunday Night:  Rain ending.  Fog possible.  Drizzle possible.  Cool.
What impact is expected
Fog could reduce visibility
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 32-36 degree range.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  North and northwest 0-5 mph
What is the chance for precipitation?
  MO ~ 20%.  IL ~ 20%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  Scattered
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  No

Is severe weather expected?  No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
Moonrise will be at 10:38 a.m. and moonset will be at 9:26 p.m.  Waxing Crescent

December 5, 2016
Monday:  Mostly cloudy.  Rain chances increasing through the day from south to north.   It is possible that most of the day will remain dry.  Rain will start over the Missouri Bootheel and western Tennessee first.  Rain will then spread northward.   Again, much of the day will be dry.
What impact is expected? Wet roadways possible. 

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 46-52  degree range.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  East and southeast at 5-10 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 40%.  IL ~ 30%.  KY ~ 40% .  TN ~ 50% (increasing chances during the afternoon hours)
Coverage of
precipitation?  
Scattered late in the day over our southern counties.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor radars after 12 pm
Sunrise
will be at 6:54 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
UV Index: 0-2

Moonrise
will be at 11:17 a.m. and moonset will be at 10:26 p.m.  Waxing Crescent

Monday Night:  Rain developing from south to north.  Lesser rain over our far northern counties near Farmington, Missouri over towards Mt Vernon, Illinois.  The bigger rain totals will be over far southeast Missouri, far southern Illinois, western Kentucky/Tennessee.  Some lightning will be possible.  
What impact is expected
? Wet roadways.  Perhaps lightning.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 38-46 degree range.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  East and northeast at 5-10 mph.  Gusty winds possible.
  MO ~ 80%.  IL ~ 80%.  KY ~ 100% .  TN ~ 100%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  Widespread.
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.
Sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
Moonrise will be at 11:17 a.m. and moonset will be at 10:26 p.m.  Waxing Crescent

December 6, 2016
Rainfall totals for Monday and Tuesday should range from 0.40 to 0.80.  Locally heavier totals possible.  
Tuesday:  Cloudy. Breezy.  Rain should taper off during the morning.  Perhaps some clearing in the afternoon.
What impact is expected? Wet roadways possible.  Lightning possible before 5 am.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 46-52  degree range.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  West and northwest at 7-14 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 50%.  IL ~ 60%.  KY ~ 60% .  TN ~ 60% (mainly early in the day)
Coverage of
precipitation?
 Widespread before 9 am and then tapering through the day.
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? Monitor radars.  Morning rain possible.
Sunrise
will be at 6:54 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
UV Index: 0-1

Moonrise
will be at 11:54 a.m. and moonset will be at 11:28 p.m.  Waxing Crescent

Tuesday Night:  Partly to mostly cloudy.  Chilly.
What impact is expected
? Most likely none.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 26 to 32 degree range.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  North at 6-12 mph
  MO ~ 0%.  IL ~ 0%.  KY ~ 0% .  TN ~ 0%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  None.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  No.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

Monitor updates concerning the Wednesday and Thursday forecast.

December 7, 2016
Wednesday:  Partly sunny early.  A cold front will approach the area on Wednesday afternoon.  Becoming cloudy.  Perhaps a few showers during the afternoon and evening hours.  Depending on the timing of the front we might have falling temperatures late in the day.  
What impact is expected? Perhaps some wet roadways late in the afternoon.  Lower than normal confidence.  Will monitor snow chances.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant forecast adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 44-46  degree range.  Temperatures may fall late in the day behind a strong cold front.
Wind Chill:
Winds:  Northeast winds 6-12 mph.  Gusts to 16 mph.
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 40%.  IL ~ 30%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation? 
 Isolated to scattered.  
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation? Most likely not during the day.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No
Sunrise
will be at 6:55 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
UV Index: 0-2

Moonrise
will be at 12:30 a.m. and moonset will be at –:– p.m.  First Quarter

Wednesday Night:  Cloudy.   A few showers or snow showers possible.   Turning sharply colder.  Blustery conditions.  A flash freeze is possible.
What impact is expected
Perhaps a few wet roadways.  I will be monitoring temperatures in case the rain changes over to frozen precipitation.  Flash freeze can’t be ruled out.  That is when moisture remains on roadways as temperatures quickly fall into the 20’s.  This can occasionally cause problems.  There remains some questions about shower coverage on Wednesday/Wednesday night.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 24-28 degree range.
Wind Chill: 18-22 degrees
Winds:  North and northwest 6-12 mph with stronger gusts likely.
  MO ~ 40%.  IL ~ 40%.  KY ~ 40% .  TN ~ 40%
Coverage of
precipitation
Isolated to scattered.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation? I can’t rule a few snow showers.
Is severe weather expected? No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor radars and updates.  Precipitation is possible on Wednesday night.

December 8, 2016
Thursday:  Becoming sunny.  Breezy.  Small chance for a morning flurry.  Much colder.  Precipitation likely ending before 7 am.  
What impact is expected? Cold wind chills.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 30-35  degree range.
Wind Chill: 15-25 degree
Winds:  West and northwest at 10-20 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation? 
Precipitation should have come to an end by Thursday.  Monitor updates.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Possible
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be chilly
Sunrise
will be at 6:55 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
UV Index: 1-2

Moonrise
will be at 1:06 p.m. and moonset will be at 12:31 a.m.  Waxing Gibbous

Thursday Night:  Mostly clear and cold.  Coldest temperatures of the season, thus far. 
What impact is expected
?  Cold.  Low wind chill values possible.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 14-18 degree range.
Wind Chill: 10-15 degrees
Winds:  Northwest at 7-14 early and then 4-8  mph late
Coverage of
precipitation
None
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation? No
Is severe weather expected? No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold

December 9, 2016
Friday:  Mostly sunny and cold.  A few afternoon clouds.
What impact is expected?  None

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 28-34 degree range
Wind Chill: 24-28 degrees
Winds:  West and northwest becoming southwest at 5-10 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 0%.  IL ~ 0%.  KY ~ 0% .  TN ~ 0%
Coverage of
precipitation
? None
Is severe weather expected?  No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold.
Sunrise
will be at 6:57 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.
UV Index: 1-2

Moonrise
will be at 1:44 p.m. and moonset will be at 1:38 a.m.  Waxing Gibbous

Friday Night: Mostly clear and cold.
What impact is expected
?  None anticipated, at this time
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.

Temperatures:  Lows in the 16-22 degree range.
Wind Chill: 14-20 degrees
Winds:  South at 7-14 early and then 4-8  mph late
Coverage of
precipitation
: None
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation? No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold.

December 10, 2016
Saturday: Partly cloudy. 
What impact is expected? None anticipated.

Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 38-42 degree range.
Wind Chill
Winds:  South and southwest at 5-10 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 0%.  IL ~ 0%.  KY ~ 0% .  TN ~ 0%
Coverage of
precipitation
?  Most likely none
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  
Sunrise
will be at 6:58 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:37 p.m.

Moonrise
will be at 2:23 p.m. and moonset will be at 2:45 a.m.  Waxing Gibbous

Saturday Night:  Cloudy.  Perhaps some snow showers.  Low confidence this far out.
What impact is expected
?  Monitor updates.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifyingLow.  Significant adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 26-34 degree range.
Wind Chill
Winds:  
  MO ~ 20%.  IL ~ 20%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation
: Monitor updates.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Monitor updates.
Is severe weather expected?

December 11, 2016
Sunday:  Cloudy.  Precipitation is possible, but still a bit early for details.  
What impact is expected?  Monitor updates

Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 38-44 degree range.
Wind Chill
Winds:  Southwest at 5-10 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 20%.  IL ~ 20%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation
? Monitor updates
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Monitor updates
Sunrise
will be at 6:58 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:38 p.m.

Moonrise
will be at 3:07 p.m. and moonset will be at 3:55 a.m.  Waxing Gibbous

Sunday Night:  Cloudy.
What impact is expected
?
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifyingLow.  Significant adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 26-34 degree range.
Wind Chill
Winds:  Variable at 4-8 mph
  MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 10% .  TN ~ 10%
Coverage of
precipitation
: 
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Monitor updates.
Is severe weather expected?

More information on the UV index.  Click here

The School Bus Stop Forecast is sponsored by Heath Health and Wellness.  Located next to Crowell Pools in Lone Oak, Kentucky.

2016-12-04_12-23-21

Visit their website here.  And. visit Heath Health Foods on Facebook!

Heath Banner

Heath Health Foods is a locally owned and operated retail health and wellness store. Since opening in February 2006; the store has continued to grow as a ministry with an expanding inventory which also offers wellness appointments and services along with educational opportunities.  Visit their web-site here.  And. visit Heath Health Foods on Facebook!

2016-12-04_12-23-40

The weekend forecast is sponsored by Farmer and Company Real Estate.  Click here to visit their site.

.Banner Ad 3

Farmer & Company Real Estate is proud to represent buyers and sellers in both Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky. With 13 licensed brokers, we can provide years of experience to buyers & sellers of homes, land & farms and commercial & investment properties.  We look forward to representing YOU!  Follow us on Facebook, as well

2016-11-29_20-07-56
2016-11-29_20-08-16

2015-03-20_19-08-11
Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

beausanalysis

An explanation of what is happening in the atmosphere over the coming day

1. More rain and storms
  2. Coldest air of the season later this week
  3. A new winter storm outlook will be posted on Monday afternoon.  You can view the winter storm outlook on the www.weathertalk.com website (under the Daily Weather Summary tab)  Be sure and sign up for the service in order to view the winter outlooks.  Remember, my monthly costs are around $700.00.
  4. BIG contest on Facebook!  I am giving away 25 Midland 300 NOAA weather radios (valued at $60 each)!  Subscriptions to the texting service!  A $100 gift card from Amazon.  The contest is open NOW!  You must wait 24 hours before entering each day.

I am giving away 25 Midland NOAA Weather Radios (a value of $60 per radio).  I am giving away 14 one year subscriptions to the texting service.  I am giving away a $100 Amazon gift certificate!

You may enter once per day through Christmas.  You must wait 24 hours before re-entering.  The contest ends at 6 pm on Christmas Day!  There will be FORTY winners!

Winners will be randomly drawn through the service that runs my contests.

You can find more information on the Beau  Dodson Weather Facebook page and/or the daily weather blog updates.

The contest ends on Christmas Day at 6 pm.

You may enter once each day!  You have to wait 24 hours before each entry.  For example, if you enter at 10 on Friday then you can enter again at 10 am on Saturday.

Click graphic to enter the contest.

2016-11-27_16-46-56

Also

I update the winter storm outlook twice per week.  It is updated more frequently during inclement weather.   See the graphic further down in the blog.  It has the instructions on how to view the outlook.  Remember, the password is NOT the same password you use to sign into your Weather Talk account.  The password can be viewed behind the Daily Weather Summary tab.  There, you will find the link that will take you to the winter storm outlook.

The next update will be issued on Monday afternoon.

Be sure and join me at the McCracken County Public Library on December 8th.  The program will begin at 7 pm.  I will be talking about weather (what else)!

More information at this link – Click Here

2016-11-29_15-40-36

Weather synopsis:

Key items to remember:

A.  Moderate rain possible Monday night and Tuesday morning.  Lightning possible.

B.  Snow on Wednesday night?

C.  Changeable forecasts are likely.  We are now in the active time of the year for winter storms and precipitation events.  Check back often.

D.  Always monitor updated forecasts.  If you leave in the morning with one forecast it may not be enough.  Check back.  Winter systems are notoriously difficult to forecast.

Active pattern continues.

One storm system is on the way out and another one is on the way in.

Rainfall totals from the Saturday night and Sunday event ranged from 0.00″ to 0.10″ over southern Illinois and portions of western Kentucky.  Totals along the Missouri and Arkansas border eastward into western Kentucky and Tennessee were from 0.10″ to 0.60″.  Heaviest totals were along the Missouri and Arkansas border and along the Kentucky and Tennessee border.

This is a snapshot of rainfall totals (as of 12 pm on Sunday).   Some additional rain fell after this time.

2016-12-04_10-01-23

Monday and Tuesday:

A stronger storm system will arrive on Monday afternoon and Monday night.  An area of low pressure will pull out of the Gulf of Mexico and track into Louisiana and Mississippi.  The low will then move north/northeast into our area.

Showers and thunderstorms will develop over Arkansas and Tennessee on Monday afternoon.  The precipitation will then spread northward into our local area.  Rain showers will be possible as early as Monday afternoon.

Widespread rain will overtake the area on Monday night into Tuesday morning.  A few moderate downpours will be possible.  Gusty winds, as well.

Temperatures won’t be cold enough for snow.  If we had a bit more cold air then this would be a major winter storm.

Here is the future-cast radar from the WRF model guidance.  This shows you what radar might look like on Monday afternoon and night.

This first image is for 11 am on Monday.  The WRF brings a few showers into our southern counties.  The speed of the rain will need to be monitored.  Give or take a few hours.  Green represents rain.  Yellow represents heavier showers.

nam4km_ref_frzn_scus_29

This next image is for 6 pm on Monday.  Rain spreading into the entire region.

nam4km_ref_frzn_scus_36

This next image is for 12 am on Tuesday.  Rain continues.  Some moderate to heavy downpours possible.

nam4km_ref_frzn_scus_38

This next image is for 6 am on Tuesday.  Rain continues.  The WRF brings the low to Nashville.  That places us on the cool side of the system.  The warm sector is to the east and southeast of the area of low pressure.  That is where stronger storms are possible.

nam4km_ref_frzn_scus_40

This next image is for 9 am on Tuesday.  Precipitation is coming to an end.  It is pulling away to the northeast and east.

nam4km_ref_frzn_scus_41

A few thunderstorms are possible.  Here is the NAM mixed CAPE numbers.  CAPE is energy.  This is not surface based CAPE (which is usually what you look for when considering severe weather).  The mixed layer CAPE indicates some thunderstorms are possible, but not severe (in our region at least)

Severe weather will be possible along the Gulf of Mexico.  Tornadoes are again possible.

nam-cape-usse-42-c-cape180_white

Here are the dew point temperatures for Monday night and Tuesday morning.  For severe weather you would look for 58-62+ dew points.  We will be well below those levels.  Dew point is a measure of moisture in the lower atmosphere (surface).

sfctd-wxt_ov-1

Rainfall Totals for the Monday and Tuesday Event:

Rainfall totals of 0.50″ to 1.00″ will be possible with this event.  Locally higher amounts are a possibility.  Here is the rainfall probability chart.

Sunday afternoon data decreased rain totals a bit.  This adds a bit of uncertainty to the mix.  I will stick with these numbers for the time being.  I may need to update early Monday morning.  Keep that in mind.

What is the % chance of X amount of rain falling.

2016-12-05_7-31-04

Rain will end on Tuesday morning and afternoon.  Clouds may linger.

Wednesday and Thursday:

A strong cold front will sweep through the region on Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night.  Temperatures will quickly fall being this front into the 20’s.

Some showers are possible Wednesday afternoon and night.  Showers might turn to snow.  Monitor updates.  It is way too early to talk about accumulations.

A flash freeze is possible on Wednesday night.  A flash freeze occurs when moisture remains on area roadways and temperatures quickly fall into the 20’s.  This could cause some problems.  As always, monitor updates.

Initial thoughts on snow.

2016-12-04_12-55-33

Undoubtedly this map will be updated a few times between now and Wednesday night.

Let’s take a look at the NAM model guidance for Wednesday.  It spreads rain and snow into our region on Wednesday afternoon and evening.

This is the future-cast radar for 6 pm on Wednesday.

Again, WAY too early for confidence in the outcome of this event.

Green represents rain.  Light blue is light snow.  Dark green is moderate to heavy snow.  The NAM model guidance is showing moderate to heavy snow for portions of our region.

Again, way too early for confidence.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov

High temperatures on Thursday and Friday will remain in the 30’s.  Lows will dip into the 20’s on Thursday morning and teens on Friday and Saturday morning.  Wind chills might be a tad lower.  Especially true on Thursday.

Here is the GFS model guidance for Friday morning low temperatures.  It might be colder than this.

If snow accumulates then lower teens are possible.

sfctmin_006h-wxt_ov

Check out the 850 mb temperatures (this is about 5000′ aloft).  Today’s graphic and then Friday’s graphic.  Cold air streaming into the U.S. from Canada.

Today’s 850 mb temperatures

avn_06_850

Friday’s 850 mb temperatures

avn_120_850

Here is the jet stream map for Thursday and Friday.  That big dip into our region is called a trough.  The jet stream dives down from the northwest.  This helps deliver cold air into our region.

avn_114_200

The 500 mb view

avn_500_wind_108

Saturday and Sunday:

Another storm system could bring precipitation into the region on Saturday or Sunday.  Way too far out for specifics.  Monitor updates.

A new winter storm outlook will be issued on Monday afternoon.  It will be posted on the Weather Talk website (see details below).

WINTER STORM UPDATE:  

New update will be posted on MONDAY afternoon!

You can still read the previous update on the weather talk web-site.

You can view the forecast by following these instructions.  Remember, the winter storm outlook is behind the paywall.  It is $3 a month.  A typical months worth of expenses is $700.00 or more.  This helps offset the costs.

The next winter storm update will be posted on Monday, December 5th.  Posts are made more frequently when necessary (when winter weather is forecast).

To sign up for the text messages you can visit www.beaudodsonweather.com

2016-11-25_19-48-51

Find me on Twitter, as well!

.2016-11-19_11-50-24

How much rain is expected over the coming days?

I already showed you rainfall totals for Saturday night through Tuesday morning.

This image is the official NOAA/WPC rainfall forecast graphic.

These are totals from now through Wednesday morning.

wpc_total_precip_ky_22

Let me zoom in on our region.  Again, click images to enlarge (that goes for all graphics on this page)

wpc_total_precip_nashville_22

wpc_total_precip_stlouis_22.

Temperature Outlook

Monday morning low temperatures

.sfctmin_006h-wxt_ov-1

Monday afternoon temperatures at 4 pm

.sfctmax_006h-wxt_ov

Tuesday morning low temperatures

.sfctmin_006h-wxt_ov-2

Tuesday afternoon high temperatures

.sfctmax_006h-wxt_ov-1

Regional Radar

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm.
12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not seem to be updating then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

WEATHER RADAR PAGEClick here

We also have a new national interactive radar – you can view that radar by clicking here.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky – these are interactive radars. Local city radars – click here

2014-11-03_15-49-30

Live Lightning Data – zoom and pan:  Click here
Live Lightning Data with sound (click the sound button on the left side of the page): Click here

2014-11-24_13-38-04

Can we expect severe thunderstorms over the next 24 to 48 hours?  Remember that a severe thunderstorm is defined as a thunderstorm that produces 58 mph winds or higher, quarter size hail or larger, and/or a tornado.

Sunday night through Monday morning:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Monday afternoon into Tuesday night:  I will be closely monitoring an area of low pressure that is forecast to pass near our region.  Perhaps some lightning.  At this time it appears the severe weather threat will remain to our south and east.

Wednesday through Sunday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

.2014-11-03_7-32-16

No major changes.

whatamiconcered
Some heavy downpours on Monday night and Tuesday morning.  Lightning.  Severe weather is not anticipated.

..2014-12-21_20-26-42

Here is the official 6-10 day and 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Check the date stamp at the top of each image (so you understand the time frame).The forecast maps below are issued by the Weather Prediction Center (NOAA).

The latest 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Note the dates are at the top of the image.  These maps DO NOT tell you how high or low temperatures or precipitation will be.  They simply give you the probability as to whether temperatures or precipitation will be above or below normal.

2015-05-28_13-49-52

Here are the current river stage forecasts.   You can click your state and then the dot for your location.  It will bring up the full forecast and hydrograph.

Click Here For River Stage Forecasts

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 38 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  I hold a Bachelor’s of Science in Geo-sciences with a concentration in Broadcast Meteorology.  I graduated from Mississippi State University.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador. 

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue Squad.  I served from 2005 through 2015
Meteorologist for the McCracken County Rescue Squad 2015-current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award. 

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, and the blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on television or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

I am a recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.  In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.  I was recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

Many of my graphics are from www.weatherbell.com – a great resource for weather data, model data, and more

2014-11-24_13-59-16

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions.

Comments are closed.