Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

December 28, 2014: A chilly Sunday for the area

We have our first sponsor for the blog.  Milner and Orr Funeral Home and Cremation Services located in Paducah, Kentucky and three other western Kentucky towns – at Milner and Orr they believe in families helping families.

Logo- Plain JPEG

bottomlineitgif

This forecast update covers far southern Illinois, far southeast Missouri, and far western Kentucky. See the coverage map on the right side of the blog.

Sunday – Cloudy sky conditions.  A chance for a morning shower.  Colder with near steady temperatures in the upper 30’s and lower 40’s.  North winds at 5-10 mph.

Sunday night – Cloudy and chilly.  Low temperatures around 26 degrees.  North winds at 5-10 mph.

Monday – A mix of sun and clouds.  Colder.  High temperatures only in the 30’s.  Northeast winds at 5-10 mph.

Monday night – Some clearing and chilly.  Low temperatures around 26 degrees.  Northeast winds at 5-10 mph.

Tuesday – A mix of sun and clouds.  Colder.  High temperatures only in the 30’s.  North/Northeast winds at 5-10 mph.

Radars
WEATHER RADAR PAGEClick here

We also have a new national interactive radar – you can view that radar by clicking here.

highverification

Current Temperatures Around The Local Area and the national temperature map.

Check out the colder air advancing southward from the northern United States.

beausanalysis

An explanation of what is happening in the atmosphere over the coming days.

We had a rainy Saturday across the region.  We are now going to have a chilly Sunday.

The cold front passed through the area yesterday evening.  This ushered in some colder temperatures.  Nothing too extreme or dramatic, but still colder than it had been.

The next few days will bring a mixture of sun and clouds.  Temperatures will be on the chilly side.  Again, nothing extreme, but colder than recent days.

Our next precipitation maker should hold off until Friday and Saturday.

New Years Eve and New Years Day should bring dry conditions and chilly temperatures.

2014-11-03_7-32-16

Adjusted overnight lows down just a bit.  Otherwise, no major changes to the ongoing forecast.

whatamiconcered

No major concerns through Tuesday.

wildcard

The wild card tells you where the most uncertainty is in the current forecast.

Wild card in this forecast – I really don’t have a strong wild card in this forecast.  Sort of boring weather for December!

severeoutlook

Can we expect severe thunderstorms over the next 24 to 48 hours?  Remember that a severe thunderstorm is defined as a thunderstorm that produces 58 mph winds or higher, quarter size hail or larger, and/or a tornado.

Thunderstorm threat level is ZERO

willineedtotakeaction

Will I need to take action?

No action required.

rainfallforecast

How much rain should this system produce over our region?

Only trace amounts are possible this morning.

snowforecast2

No winter storms through Wednesday.  Sorry snow fans.

Monitoring a system towards the end of next week.  That appears to be mostly rain. It could start out as a wintry mix IF it moves in faster than anticipated.  Stay tuned as we move through the next few days and I get a better feel for the strength and track of the area of low pressure.

extended

Brief extended outlook today…

The main focus of the long range forecast will be a storm system that will approach our region on Friday.  This system will bring more rain to the  region.  There could even be some locally heavy rain.

Right now the big question mark is the timing of the onset of precipitation.  If the system moves in Thursday night or early Friday morning then there could be a wintry mix.  Right now it appears most of the precipitation will hold off until later on Friday and into Saturday/Saturday night.

There remain quite a few question marks with that particular system.  The GFS model is taking the low well to the north of our area.  Far enough north that we would even have to think about some thunderstorms.

The EC weather model is not as far north.  It is far enough north, however, to still keep most of the precipitation rain.

This system will need to be monitored over the coming days.

I know some are sold on this cold lasting into January – relentless.  But, I am leaning more towards cold shots mingled with spells of normal to above normal temperatures.  The storm track will determine temperatures.  If the storm tracks are more north of us than south of us then we will see some periods of milder temperatures.  With those milder temperatures will come rain.

Right now it does not look like this January will be the never ending cold we saw last winter.  Of course, weather is fickle in our region and subject to changes.  Long range forecasting is not an exact science.

nwssaying1

Please visit your local National Weather Service Office by clicking here. The National Weather Service Office, for our region, is located in Paducah, Kentucky.

2014-12-21_20-26-42

Here is the official 6-10 day and 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Check the date stamp at the top of each image (so you understand the time frame).

The forecast maps below are issued by the Weather Prediction Center (NOAA).

The latest 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Note the dates are at the top of the image.  These maps DO NOT tell you how high or low temperatures or precipitation will be.  They simply give you the probability as to whether temperatures or precipitation will be above or below normal.

Many of my graphics are from www.weatherbell.com – a great resource for weather data, model data, and more

2014-11-24_13-59-16

2014-11-24_14-02-05

This blog was inspired by ABC 33/40’s Alabama Weather Blog – view their blog

Current tower cam view from the Weather Observatory- Click here for all cameras.

Southern Illinois Weather Observatory

The Weather Observatory

Southern Illinois Weather Observatory

WSIL TV 3 has a number of tower cameras. Click here for their tower camera page & Illinois Road Conditions

Marion, Illinois

WPSD TV 6 has a number of tower cameras. Click here for their tower camera page & Kentucky Road Conditions & Kentucky Highway and Interstate Cameras

Downtown Paducah, Kentucky

Benton, Kentucky Tower Camera – Click here for full view

Benton, Kentucky

I24 Paducah, Kentucky

I24 Mile Point 9 – Paducah, KY

I24 – Mile Point 3 Paducah, Kentucky

awareemail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions.

Comments are closed.