Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

December 14, 2016: More cold air. Brrr

We have some great sponsors for the Weather Talk Blog.  Please let our sponsors know that you appreciate their support for the Weather Talk Blog.

Milner and Orr Funeral Home and Cremation Services located in Paducah, Kentucky and three other western Kentucky towns – at Milner and Orr they believe in families helping families.  You can find Milner and Orr on Facebook, as well.

Logo- Plain JPEG

2015-03-27_21-14-30

Are you in need of new eye glasses?  New contacts?  Perhaps you need an eye exam.  Then be sure and visit the Eye Care Associates of western Kentucky (the Paducah location).
For all of your families eye care needs.  Visit their web-site here.  Or, you can also visit their Facebook page.

2015-10-08_17-58-26

Best at Enabling Body Shop Profitability since 1996. Located In Paducah Kentucky and Evansville Indiana; serving all customers in between. They provide Customer Service, along with all the tools necessary for body shops to remain educated and competitive. Click the logo above for their main web-site.  You can find McClintock Preferred Finishes on Facebook, as well

BANNER OPTION 2
Expressway Carwash and Express Lube are a locally owned and operated full service Carwash and Lube established in 1987. They have been proudly serving the community for 29 years now at their Park Avenue location and 20 years at their Southside location. They have been lucky enough to partner with Sidecar Deli in 2015, which allows them to provide their customers with not only quality service, but quality food as well.  . If you haven’t already, be sure to make Expressway your one stop shop, with their carwash, lube and deli. For hours of operation and pricing visit www.expresswashlube.com or Expressway Carwash on Facebook.

2016-10-30_19-43-57

I have launched the new weather texting service!  I could use your help.  Be sure and sign up and fully support all of the weather data you see each day.

This is a monthly subscription service.  Supporting this helps support everything else.  The cost is $3 a month for one phone, $5 a month for three phones, and $10 a month for seven phones.

Winter storm forecasts will be posted on the www.weathertalk.com website.  Look under the Daily Weather Summary tab.  Forecasts begin the week of Thanksgiving.

For more information visit BeauDodsonWeather.com

Or directly sign up at Weathertalk.com

2015-12-18_21-14-12

bottomlineitgif

This forecast update covers far southern Illinois, far southeast Missouri, and far western Kentucky. See the coverage map on the right side of the blog

Winter storm forecasts will be posted on the www.weathertalk.com website (under the Daily Weather Summary tab).  Remember, a typical month costs me over $700 to provide everyone the data and forecasts.  Your support is important.  Thank you.

The winter storm forecasts can be found under the Daily Weather Summary tab.  You will also find the password there.  The password will NOT be the one you use to sign into your personal weather talk account.

The winter storm outlook was updated on Monday, December 12th 

Here is the link to the new update – Daily Weather Summary tab

2016-11-26_12-47-34

Your proceeds also help support the Shadow Angel Foundation projects.  Including our yearly teddy bear program.  We purchase brand new GUND bears for Child Watch and PASAC.  We are planning on adding a new charity in January.  Stay tuned for that announcement!

2016-12-03_7-10-32

Contest:

christmas_png17225

Twenty-Five days of Christmas giving!  I will be giving away weather radios and some other items!  There will be forty winners.  Contest begins now.

Here is the link for the contest.  Click here

You may enter once every 24 hours!  For example, if you enter at 10 on Friday then you can enter again at 10 am on Saturday.

New long range winter weather outlook with be possible on Monday

WEATHER RADAR PAGEClick here

December 12, 2016

New winter weather outlook has been posted on the Weather Talk site.  It is behind the Daily Weather Summary tab (upper left side).  You will find the link and password there.  Any issues email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Link to the outlook: WeatherTalk

December 13, 2016
Tuesday Night:  A 30% for snow showers, freezing drizzle, and snow flurries.  Use care on overpasses. Evening clouds becoming partly cloudy overnight.  Cold. Low wind chills on Wednesday morning.  Slick spots possible.
What impact is expected
? Cold wind chills late Tuesday night/Wednesday.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 18-24 degree range.
Wind Chill: 14 to 18 degrees
Winds:  North and northeast at 3-6 mph
What is the chance for precipitation?
  MO ~ 30%.  IL ~ 30%.  KY ~ 30% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  Flurries, snow showers, freezing drizzle.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Light  freezing precipitation.
Is severe weather expected?  No
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunset will be at 4:38 p.m.
Moonrise will be at 4:50 p.m. and moonset will be at 6:16 a.m.  Full Moon

December 14, 2016
Wednesday: A mix of sun and clouds.  I can’t rule out snow showers or flurries as the colder air arrives.  Breezy.  Cold.  Well below normal temperatures.  
What impact is expected?  Cold wind chills.  Wind chills 15-25 degrees.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 34-38 degree range.
Wind Chill: 15 to 25 degrees
Winds:  North and northeast at 6-12 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 20%.  IL ~ 20%.  KY ~ 20% .  TN ~ 20%
Coverage of
precipitation
? Perhaps spotty snow flurries, if anything at all.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Perhaps some snow flurries as a cold front moves through the area.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold.
Sunrise 
will be at 7:00 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:38 p.m.
UV Index: 1-2

Moonrise 
will be at 5:50 p.m. and moonset will be at 7:22 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Wednesday Night:  Clear and bitterly cold.  Well below normal temperatures.  Wind chill values will drop into the 7 to 14 degree range.  Bundle up weather.  A few patches of fog near bodies of water.
What impact is expected
?  Cold wind chills.  Cold temperatures.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 15-20 degree range.  Isolated pockets of slightly lower temperatures not out of the question.  Lower 20’s perhaps for the Poplar Bluff area into northwest Tennessee.  Some question as to whether that area will fall into the upper teens.
Wind Chill: 7-14 degrees
Winds:  North at 6-12 mph diminishing to 4-8 mph late
  MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 10% .  TN ~ 10%
Coverage of
precipitation
: None anticipated.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Flurry (if anything at all)
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold.
Sunset will be at 4:38 p.m.
Moonrise will be at 5:50 p.m. and moonset will be at 7:22 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

New winter weather outlook has been posted on the Weather Talk site.  It is behind the Daily Weather Summary tab (upper left side).  You will find the link and password there.  Any issues email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Link to the outlook: WeatherTalk.

December 15, 2016
Thursday:  A few patches of morning fog.  Partly to mostly sunny and cold.  A few clouds.  Well below normal temperatures.
What impact is expected?  Cold.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  High.  This forecast should verify.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 25-30 degree range.
Wind Chill: 12-20 degrees
Winds:  North at 5-10 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 0%.  IL ~ 0%.  KY ~ 0% .  TN ~ 0%
Coverage of
precipitation
? None anticipated
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation? Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunrise 
will be at 7:01 a.m. and sunset will be at 4:39 p.m.

Moonrise 
will be at 6:53 p.m. and moonset will be at 8:22 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Thursday Night:  Cold.  Increasing clouds overnight.
What impact is expected
?  Cold temperatures.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 16-22 degree range.  Temperatures might rise a bit after 4 am.
Wind Chill: 12-16 degrees
Winds:  North early then becoming variable at 3-6 mph
  MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 0% .  TN ~ 0%
Coverage of
precipitation
: None anticipated
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

December 16, 2016
Friday:  Clouds thickening and lowering through the day.  A 40% chance for a wintry mix after 1 pm.  Temperatures rising into the 40’s.  If a wintry mix develops then it will change to rain as temperatures rise above freezing.   There is a lot of dry air to overcome at the surface.  Virga is likely at the beginning of the system.  Virga is where radar shows precipitation, but it evaporates before reaching the ground.
What impact is expected?  I will be monitoring precipitation type.  I can not rule out a wintry mix at the beginning of the system.

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments in the forecast are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 36-44 degree range.  Temperatures will be the coldest over our northern counties.  Warmer south and west.  A warm front will pass through the area on Friday into Friday evening.  Temperatures will warm as the front passes.
Wind Chill: 25-30 degrees
Winds:  East and southeast winds at 7-14 mph.  
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 40%.  IL ~ 30%.  KY ~ 30%   TN ~ 30%
Coverage of
precipitation
? Scattered.  Mostly during the afternoon hours.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Precipitation may begin as a wintry mix before changing to rain.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor radars during the afternoon hours.
Sunrise 
will be at 7:02 p.m. and sunset will be at 4:39 p.m.
UV Index: 0

Moonrise 
will be at 7:57 p.m. and moonset will be at 9:16 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Friday Night:  Cloudy.  Scattered rain showers.  Coverage might not be all that great over portions of southeast Missouri and southern Illinois.  Light totals in those areas.  Any mix will quickly change to all rain.  Warmer air arrives overnight.  Monitor updates in case the storm system tracks further south.  Temperatures rising overnight.
What impact is expected
? Wet roadways.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying: Low.  Significant adjustments in the forecast are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 38 to 44 degree range.  Temperatures rising overnight.
Wind Chill:  28-38 degrees
Winds:  Becoming south at 7-14 mph
  MO ~ 50%.  IL ~ 50%.  KY ~ 50% .  TN ~ 50%
Coverage of
precipitation
: Scattered
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Unlikely.
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.

December 17, 2016
Saturday:  Cloudy.  A chance for rain showers.  A slight chance for a thunderstorm.  Warmer.  Breezy.  Temperatures may vary considerably across our region (see graphics below).  Rainfall totals of 0.05″ to 0.20″ parts of southeast Missouri and southern Illinois.  Then 0.15″ to 0.40″ far southeast Missouri, far southern Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee. 
What impact is expected?  Some wet roadways.  Small risk for lightning.  Gusty winds near storms (if they develop).  

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 48-54 degree range from Farmington, MO to Carmi, IL.  Temperatures in the 58-66 degree range. over the rest of the area.  Some question as to just how farm north the upper 50’s to middle 60’s will occur.  Keep that in mind.  Brief warm up before the cold air arrives.
Wind Chill
Winds:  Variable winds at  10-20  mph.  Gusty.
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 50%.  IL ~ 60%.  KY ~ 60%  TN ~ 60%
Coverage of
precipitation
Scattered 
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  No
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.
Sunrise 
will be at 7:02 p.m. and sunset will be at 4:39 p.m.
UV Index: 0

Moonrise 
will be at 9:01 p.m. and moonset will be at 10:02 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Saturday Night:  Low confidence on details.  Monitor updates for changeable forecasts.  Cloudy.  Rain redeveloping.  Rain should mix with or change to a period of freezing rain and sleet.  Wintry mix may change to snow late Saturday night/Sunday morning.  Monitor updates for changeable forecasts.
What impact is expected
? Wet roadways may become icy.  Monitor updates.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying: Low.  Significant adjustments in the forecast are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 18 to 24 degree range.
Wind Chill:  12 to 20 degrees late.
Winds:  West and northwest at 10-20 mph.  Gusty winds, at times.
  MO ~ 50%.  IL ~ 50%.  KY ~ 60% .  TN ~ 60%
Coverage of
precipitation
: Scattered to perhaps widespread.  Greater coverage possible over far southern Illinois/Kentucky/Tennessee
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Freezing rain, sleet, and snow will be possible.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.

December 18, 2016
Sunday:  Morning clouds.  Becoming partly cloudy.  Better chances of clearing during the afternoon hours.  Some snow showers possible.
What impact is expected?  Icy roads are a possibility. 

My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments in the forecast are possible.
Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 24-28 degree range.
Wind Chill: 10-20 degrees
Winds:  North at 6-12 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 30%.  IL ~ 30%.  KY ~ 40% .  TN ~ 40%
Coverage of
precipitation
?  Perhaps scattered before 12 pm 
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Snow showers are a possibility.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.  
Sunrise 
will be at 7:33 p.m. and sunset will be at 4:40 p.m.
UV Index: 0-1

Moonrise 
will be at 10:03 p.m. and moonset will be at 10:42 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Sunday Night:  Becoming mostly clear.  Bitterly cold.  Coldest air of the season, thus far.
What impact is expected
?  Cold temperatures.  Low wind-chill values.  Frost bite.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:
 High. This forecast should verify. 
Temperatures:  Lows in the 8-14 degree range
Wind Chill:  -5 to 10 above
Winds:  North at 5 mph
  MO ~ 0%.  IL ~ 0%.  KY ~ 10% .  TN ~ 10%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  None
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  No.

December 19, 2016
Monday:  Mostly sunny.  Perhaps some increase in high clouds through the day.  Cold.
What impact is expected?  Bitterly cold temperatures before 12 pm.  Frost bite.  

Temperatures:  High temperatures in the 24-28 degree range.
Wind Chill: 10-20 degrees
Winds:  North at 4-8 mph
What is the chance for
precipitation? MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 10% .  TN ~ 10%
Coverage of
precipitation
?  Most likely none.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Unlikely
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.  Cold temperatures and low windchill values.
Sunrise 
will be at 7:03 p.m. and sunset will be at 4:40 p.m.

Moonrise 
will be at 11:02 p.m. and moonset will be at 11:19 a.m.  Waning Gibbous

Monday Night:  Some clouds.  Cold.
What impact is expected
?  Cold temperatures.
My confidence in this part of the forecast verifying:
 Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Temperatures:  Lows in the 16-22 degree range
Wind Chill:  10-15 degree range
Winds:  North at 5 mph
  MO ~ 10%.  IL ~ 10%.  KY ~ 10% .  TN ~ 10%
Coverage of
precipitation
:  Most likely none.
Will there be a chance for frozen precipitation?  Not at this time.

More information on the UV index.  Click here

I also produced a video today.  Lot to talk about with the weekend system.

The School Bus Stop Forecast is sponsored by Heath Health and Wellness.  Located next to Crowell Pools in Lone Oak, Kentucky.

Visit their website here.  And. visit Heath Health Foods on Facebook!

wedmorningbus

Heath Banner

wedafternoon

Heath Health Foods is a locally owned and operated retail health and wellness store. Since opening in February 2006; the store has continued to grow as a ministry with an expanding inventory which also offers wellness appointments and services along with educational opportunities.  Visit their web-site here.  And. visit Heath Health Foods on Facebook!

.2016-11-29_20-07-56
2016-12-10_14-19-25

2015-03-20_19-08-11
Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY!!!  FORTY WINNERS.

I am giving away 25 Midland NOAA Weather Radios (a value of $60 per radio).  I am giving away 14 one year subscriptions to the texting service.  I am giving away a $100 Amazon gift certificate!

You may enter once per day through Christmas.  You must wait 24 hours before re-entering.  The contest ends at 6 pm on Christmas Day!  There will be FORTY winners!

Winners will be randomly drawn through the service that runs my contests.

You can find more information on the Beau  Dodson Weather Facebook page and/or the daily weather blog updates.

The contest ends on Christmas Day at 6 pm.

You may enter once each day!  You have to wait 24 hours before each entry.  For example, if you enter at 10 on Friday then you can enter again at 10 am on Saturday.

Click graphic to enter the contest.

2016-11-27_16-46-56

beausanalysis

An explanation of what is happening in the atmosphere over the coming day

1.  Back into the deep freeze
  2.  Storm system Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
  3.  Wintry precipitation Saturday night and Sunday?
  4.  Winter weather was updated on Monday (see the www.weathertalk.com website behind the Daily Weather Summary tab)
  5.  BIG Christmas giveaway contest continues.  I am giving away 25 Midland 300 NOAA weather radios (valued at $60 each)!  Subscriptions to the texting service!  A $100 gift card from Amazon.  The contest is open NOW!  You must wait 24 hours before entering each day.  See details below.  There will be FORTY winners!

The big discussion over the next few days will center around yet another big arctic outbreak of cold air.  This is unusual for December.  We have been below normal for most of the month.  Last year we had a warm December.

The cold shots will continue and so will our cold temperature anomalies.

Check out the month to date temperature anomalies.  Brrr for most of the nation.  We have not had a December like this for quite some time.

conus_mtd_t2avg_anom_2016-copy

Compare that to last year at the same time.  WOW, what a contrast!

conus_mtd_t2avg_anom_2015-copy

Wind chills over the coming mornings will be a challenge for kids at the bus stop or walking to school.  Use care.  Frost bite can occur in short periods of time with exposure to the cold.

Wednesday morning

wedwindchills

Thursday morning

2016-12-13_8-02-11

How cold will it be over the coming days.

Here are the temperature probability charts.  This shows you the % risk of reaching X temperature.

I have also added the wind chill values.

This first graphic is for Wednesday morning.

wedwindchills

This next graphic is for Thursday morning.

thurmorninglows

This next image is for Friday morning.

frimorninglows

A storm system will push into the region on Friday and Saturday.  This will be a complex storm.

The models have been taking the low way north.  I have been thinking the low would travel somewhere close to St Louis.  Models are starting to show that idea.  We still have a few days to monitor.

Warm temperatures will occur ahead of the cold front on Saturday.  We will pop into the 60’s for daytime highs.

Here is the temperature anomaly map for Saturday.  How many degrees above normal?  WELL above normal.

Normal lows for this time of the year are around 28 degrees.  Normal highs are around 48 degrees.

This first map is for Saturday at 12 pm.  Those are some BIG anomalies and well above normal temperatures.

I have to say that these maps are stunning and you don’t see this very often.

This is what happens when a low moves to our north and draws up warmer air from the Gulf of Mexico.

sfct_anom-wxt_ov

Now, look what happens by Saturday evening.  BIG push of warm air ahead of the low.  Colder air behind.  Above normal temps ahead of the front and below normal behind the front.  The numbers represent how many degrees above and below normal temperatures will be.

sfct_anom-wxt_ov-1

This next image is for 12 am on Sunday.  Say goodbye to Saturday’s temperatures.  Again, these are not air temperatures.  These are how many degrees below normal the temperatures will be.

sfct_anom-wxt_ov-2

Here are the temperature anomalies for 12 am on Monday.  Look to the north.  Those are extreme anomalies.  -40 degrees?  That is 40 degrees below normal.

sfct_anom-wxt_ov-3

Temperatures by Monday morning will be the coldest of the season, thus far.

GFS indicates single digits are possible.

sfctmin_006h-wxt_ov-2

Let’s pull out a bit.  Here is the national view for temperature anomalies ahead of the front and behind the front.

Find the front?

Those red and brown colors are WELL above normal temperatures.  The blue and purple colors are WELL below normal.  This is going to be a large system for the central and eastern United States.

This map is for 12 pm on Saturday.  Note the above normal anomalies from Texas into Indiana/Ohio.  Note the well below normal temperatures over the Dakota’s.

gfs_t2m_a_f_conus2_19

Now, look at the anomalies for Sunday night.  This map is for 6 pm on Sunday.  Wow, what a change.

From well above normal temperatures to well below.  Winter, folks.

gfs_t2m_a_f_conus2_24

Precipitation chances on Friday and Saturday:

The timing of the precipitation is important for Friday.  If the precipitation arrives fast enough then it will begin as snow, sleet, and freezing rain.  Temperatures should quickly rise above freezing on Friday afternoon and Friday night as strong southerly winds arrive.

All rain is anticipated as we move into Friday night and Saturday.  Thunderstorms are also possible.  At this time, severe weather is not in the cards.  Lightning would be the main concern.  Gusty winds.

Dew points pop into the upper 50’s and lower 60’s.  Normally that would worry me.  Severe weather is not uncommon, during the winter months, with dew points of 58 and above.

Dew point is a measure of moisture.

It appears, however, with this event that we will be spared the severe weather outbreak.  Instability is lacking.

Temperatures on Saturday will rise into the 60’s.  Hard to believe.

High-temperature map from the GFS model guidance.  This is for Saturday evening.

Look at the extreme gradient of temperatures in the State of Missouri. Teens over northeast Missouri and upper 60’s over southeast Missouri. That is amazing.

sfctmax_006h-wxt_ov-2

We will plummet into the 20’s behind the cold front.

Just look at these incredible maps.

24 hour temperature change.

This first one is for noon on Saturday.  This map shows you how many degrees the temperature will change from 12 pm on Friday until 12 pm on Saturday.  These really are stunning numbers.  Temperatures will certainly be on the rise.

sfct_change_024h-wxt_ov

Now let’s take a look from 12 pm Saturday to 12 on Sunday.  Wow, is all I can say.  BIG temperature drop between that time frame.  Can you say COLD front!

sfct_change_024h-wxt_ov-1

The next question becomes freezing rain, sleet, and snow on Saturday night and Sunday.  Some of the guidance shows a wave of low pressure developing along the front.  IF this happens then our winter weather chances will increase.  Let’s keep a close eye on this.

I would not be surprised to see the rain change to a wintry mix Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

Here is what the NAM model future-cast radar is showing.  We may start as a wintry mix.  This will depend on the timing of the precipitation, as mentioned above.

Green represents rain.  Blue represents snow.  As the colors grow darker that would represent moderate to heavy precipitation.

This first image is for Thursday at 6 pm.  Most of the precipitation will hold off until Friday afternoon/night.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov

This next image is Friday at 6 am.  The NAM attempts to bring precipitation into the region.  This may be too fast.  Sometimes the NAM is too fast with its solution.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov-4

This next image is for 12 pm on Friday.  Quite a bit of precipitation showing up on the NAM.  Some of this could be virga, as well.  Precipitation not reaching the ground because of dry air at the surface.

Let’s keep a close eye on the timing of the event.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov-5

This next image is for 3 pm on Friday.  The NAM certainly brings precipitation into the region fast.  Let’s keep an eye on it.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov-6

This next image is for 6 pm on Friday.  The NAM paints a mixture over the Ozarks.  Temperature should, however, be on the rise.

refcmp_ptype-wxt_ov-7

Here is the latest probability chart for Saturday night and Sunday.

I will need to work on another outlook for Friday afternoon and Friday night.

Temperatures will rise above freezing late Friday afternoon and Friday night.  Temperatures should rise through Friday night.  This will cut off any chances of winter precipitation.

2016-12-13_10-03-51

This is where the weather becomes interesting.

The front moves through the area on Saturday night.   Another wave develops along the front.  Some upper level energy moves in from the west/southwest.

A lot of guidance is showing an increase in wintry precipitation late Saturday  night into Sunday.  This will need to be closely monitored.  It has the potential to cause problems.

2016-12-13_10-52-55

Let me show you the GFS maps for this system.

This first map is for Saturday at 6 am.  The low is near Columbia, Missouri.  That would be the closed isobars you see on this map (isobars are equal lines of pressure).  Rain in our area.

prateptype_cat-wxt_ov-3

By noon on Saturday the GFS has the low in Indiana.  We are in the rain and warm zone.

prateptype_cat-wxt_ov-4

By 6 pm on Saturday the wave arrives.  Notice how there is an increase in precipitation coverage and intensity?

prateptype_cat-wxt_ov-5

Then by 12 am on Sunday the GFS has freezing rain, sleet, and snow in our region.  Keep in mind this is one computer models opinion.  We need to monitor trends over the coming days.

prateptype_cat-wxt_ov-6

Then by 6 am on Sunday the GFS has precipitation ending.

prateptype_cat-wxt_ov-7

Find me on Twitter, as well!

.2016-11-19_11-50-24

How much rain is expected over the coming days?

This image is the official NOAA/WPC/NWS rainfall forecast graphic.

Click images to enlarge

These are NWS forecast totals.

Friday through Sunday system:

wpc_total_precip_ky_18

This next map includes the FRI/SAT system with the SAT night and SUN system

wpc_total_precip_ky_24

Zoom view

wpc_total_precip_nashville_22

Zoom view

wpc_total_precip_stlouis_22

Temperature Outlook 

Wednesday  morning low temperatures

.wedmorninglows

Wednesday afternoon temperatures at 4 pm
wedhighs
Thursday morning low temperatures
.thurmorninglows
Thursday afternoon high
 temperatures

.Regional Radar

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm.
12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not seem to be updating then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

WEATHER RADAR PAGEClick here

We also have a new national interactive radar – you can view that radar by clicking here.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky – these are interactive radars. Local city radars – click here

2014-11-03_15-49-30

Live Lightning Data – zoom and pan:  Click here
Live Lightning Data with sound (click the sound button on the left side of the page): Click here

2014-11-24_13-38-04

Can we expect severe thunderstorms over the next 24 to 48 hours?  Remember that a severe thunderstorm is defined as a thunderstorm that produces 58 mph winds or higher, quarter size hail or larger, and/or a tornado.

Tuesday night through next Friday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Friday night into Saturday:  I am monitoring another storm system.  Severe weather, at this time, appears unlikely.  Monitor updates.  Lightning is a possibility.

Saturday night through Sunday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Sunday, December 18th through Thursday, December 22nd:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

.2014-11-03_7-32-16

Updated wind and temperatures.

whatamiconcered
Bitterly cold air on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  Lows in the teens are possible Wednesday night and Thursday night.  Brrrrr

I will monitor a storm system for Friday and Saturday.  The system may begin as a wintry mix on Friday afternoon and end as a wintry mix on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

..2014-12-21_20-26-42

Here is the official 6-10 day and 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Check the date stamp at the top of each image (so you understand the time frame).The forecast maps below are issued by the Weather Prediction Center (NOAA).

The latest 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Note the dates are at the top of the image.  These maps DO NOT tell you how high or low temperatures or precipitation will be.  They simply give you the probability as to whether temperatures or precipitation will be above or below normal.

2015-05-28_13-49-52

Here are the current river stage forecasts.   You can click your state and then the dot for your location.  It will bring up the full forecast and hydrograph.

Click Here For River Stage Forecasts

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 38 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  I hold a Bachelor’s of Science in Geo-sciences with a concentration in Broadcast Meteorology.  I graduated from Mississippi State University.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador. 

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue Squad.  I served from 2005 through 2015
Meteorologist for the McCracken County Rescue Squad 2015-current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award. 

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, and the blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on television or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

I am a recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.  In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.  I was recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

Many of my graphics are from www.weatherbell.com – a great resource for weather data, model data, and more

2014-11-24_13-59-16

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions.

Comments are closed.