Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

August 5th and 6th, 2017: Unsettled weather.

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm
Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

Live lightning data ~ click here
————————————-
Weather Talk subscribers ~ I have hired a team of long-range meteorologist to help cover agriculture forecasts.  Videos are updated once or twice each day (Monday through Friday).

Videos can be viewed at this link.    Long Range Video Update

If you believe you missed a video then you can also click the LIVE FEED link on the Weather Talk website.  That page holds links for several days.

I can text you the videos, as well.  Make sure you have text option FOUR turned on.  That would be the Weather Extra text option.  Sign up for the text messages at www.beaudodsonweather.com

bottomlineitgif.
This forecast update covers southern Illinois, southeast Missouri, western Kentucky. and northwest Tennessee.
The following link is for Weather Text subscribers.  This is the page where short and long range video outlooks have been posted.  The videos are being produced by a team of meteorologists.  Some of the best in the region.
https://weathertalk.com/app/beaucast

August 5, 2017
Saturday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Increasing clouds. An increasing chance for showers and thunderstorms as the night wears on.  Thunderstorms will first arrive in southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois.  A few storms, during the overnight hours, could produce locally heavy rain.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 62 to 66       IL ~ 62 to 66      KY ~ 62 to 66     TN ~ 62 to 66
Winds: Southeast at 3 to 6 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways and lightning
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments possible.
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation
?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 50%    TN ~ 50%
Coverage of precipitation
:  Scattered early and then increasing coverage overnight into the morning hours.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars this evening.

August 6, 2017
Sunday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Mostly cloudy.  A bit warmer.  At least scattered showers and thunderstorms.  If one of the complexes holds together, a bit more than anticipated, then rain would be more widespread.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 78 to 84     IL ~ 78 to 84      KY ~ 80 to 84       TN ~ 80 to 84
Winds:  South and southeast winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 16.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways and lightning.  Locally heavy rain possible.  Small risk for strong winds with a few of the thunderstorms.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments possible.
Is severe weather expected? Low risk for strong winds with some storms.
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 60%    TN ~ 60%
:  Numerous.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.

Sunday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Cloudy.  Showers and thunderstorms possible.  Mild.  Gusty winds possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 62 to 66        IL ~ 62 to 66         KY ~ 62 to 66      TN ~ 62 to 66
Winds: East and southeast winds at 8 to 16 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Lightning.  A few storms could produce strong winds.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify.
Is severe weather expected?  A level one out of five risk.  Low risk.  Concern would be a few storms with strong and gusty winds.
?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 80%    TN ~ 90%
:  Numerous
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.

August 7, 2017
Monday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  Quite a few clouds.  Mild.  Isolated storms possible, especially in western Kentucky and western Tennessee.  Most of the rain should have ended.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 78 to 84     IL ~ 78 to 84      KY ~ 78 to 84       TN ~ 78 to 84
Winds: North and northwest winds at 7 to 14 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps some scattered wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify
Is severe weather expected? No
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 30%    TN ~ 30%
:  Isolated to scattered.  Low confidence.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updated forecasts.
Monday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 60 to 65        IL ~ 60 to 65        KY ~ 62 to 66     TN ~ 62 to 66
Winds: North and northeast winds at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely  none.  Rain should have ended.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 10%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
: None to isolated.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

August 8, 2017
Tuesday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly sunny.  Pleasant.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 80 to 84     IL ~ 80 to 84      KY ~ 80 to 85       TN ~ 80 to 85
Winds:  Northeast and east winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 16 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 10%    KY ~ 10%    TN ~ 10%
:  Most likely none.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No
Tuesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 62 to 66        IL ~ 62 to 66       KY ~ 62 to 66   TN ~ 62 to 66
Winds: East winds at 5 to 10 mph
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 10%    KY ~ 10%    TN ~ 10%
:  Most likely none.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No.

August 9, 2017
Wednesday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly sunny.  A slight chance for a shower over western Kentucky and northwest Tennessee.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 82 to 86      IL ~ 82 to 86       KY ~ 82 to 86        TN ~ 82 to 86
Winds:  East winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 12 mph.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
:  None to isolated.
Wednesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  A slight chance for  a shower.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 60 to 65        IL ~ 60 to 65        KY ~ 60 to 65    TN ~ 60 to 65
Winds: East and southeast winds at 5 to 10 mph
:  None to isolated.

August 10, 2017
Thursday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly sunny.  A slight chance for a thunderstorm.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 82 to 86     IL ~ 82 to 86      KY ~ 82 to 86       TN ~ 82 to 86
Winds:  Northeast winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 12 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways and lightning.
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  None to isolated.
Thursday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  Isolated showers and thunderstorms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 64 to 68        IL ~ 64 to 68        KY ~ 64 to 68    TN ~ 64 to 68
Winds: Variable winds at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Low.  Significant adjustments possible
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  None to isolated.

August 11, 2017
Friday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly sunny.  Isolated showers and thunderstorms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 82 to 86     IL ~ 82 to 86      KY ~ 82 to 86       TN ~ 82 to 86
Winds:  Southeast winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 12 mph.
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
?  MO ~ 30%    IL ~ 30%    KY ~ 30%    TN ~ 30%
:  Isolated to perhaps scattered.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No, but check updates.
Friday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  Warmer.  More humid.  Scattered showers and thunderstorms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 65 to 70        IL ~ 65 to 70        KY ~ 65 to 70    TN ~ 65 to 70
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Scattered wet roadways and lightning.
:  Scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check updates

August 12, 2017
Satur
day Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly sunny.  Scattered showers and thunderstorms possible.
Winds:  South and southeast winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 14 mph.
Is severe weather expected?  Unlikely
:  Perhaps scattered.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No, but check updates.
Saturday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.   Scattered showers and thunderstorms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 65 to 70        IL ~ 65 to 70        KY ~ 65 to 70    TN ~ 65 to 70
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Scattered wet roadways and lightning.
:  Scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check updates

2015-03-20_19-08-11

Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

2014-11-24_13-38-04

A severe thunderstorm is defined as a storm that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.  That is the official National Weather Service definition of a severe thunderstorm.

Saturday night into Monday:  Thunderstorms are possible Saturday night into Sunday night.  A few storms could produce locally heavy rain, gusty winds, and lightning.  Small risk for damaging winds.

The greatest chance for thunderstorms will be Sunday into Sunday evening.  Heavy rain is a concern.  Severe weather risk is low, but not zero.  Wind being the main concern.

Monday into Tuesday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.  A couple of storms possible on Monday.  Lightning would be the concern.

Wednesday through Friday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.  I will be monitoring thunderstorm chances as we push towards the end of the week.

We will have lightning to deal with over the coming days.  Highest chance is late Saturday night into Sunday evening.

Near zero tornado risk over the coming days.

Not anticipating large hail.  Small risk Sunday for strong storms.

Here is the damaging wind forecast

beausanalysis

I hope you are having a nice weekend.  We do have showers and thunderstorms in the forecast.  Some of you need rain.  We will see if nature will deliver.

Your live local city view interactive radars
http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

Live lightning tracker with zoom and pan features. You can see each bolt and adjust your viewing area. Lightning tracking website
https://wtalk.co/KAZYDQHT

A storm system is approaching our region from western Missouri.  A couple of MCS’s are going to move east/southeast on Saturday night into Sunday.  These systems will spread showers and thunderstorms into our area.

The best chance for rain will likely be on Sunday and Sunday evening.  The precipitation will likely be scattered.  There remain some questions about coverage.

If you have outdoor plans, on Sunday, then check radars.

Here are some future-cast radar images for Saturday night into Sunday.

These images are models.  They are for guidance and not gospel.  That means they won’t be exact.  Take the general idea from them.  Precipitation maps, from computer models, are rarely spot on.

6 PM Saturday

10 PM Saturday

5 AM Sunday

10 AM Sunday

1 PM Sunday

4 PM Sunday

7 PM Sunday

Although organized severe weather is unlikely, a few storms will produce frequent lightning, gusty winds, and heavy rain.

If thunderstorms were to train over the same areas, then some spots could pick up more than an inch of rain.  Generally, rainfall totals will range from 0.25″ to 0.50″.  Pockets of higher rain likely.

The system will pull away on Monday.  Precipitation chances will dwindle through the day.

Tuesday into Thursday will likely remain dry with below normal temperatures.

The next chance for precipitation should arrive on Thursday or perhaps more likely Friday.  It will become a bit warmer and more humid during that time, as well.

High temperatures, for the week ahead, will likely remain in the low to middle eighties.  Overnight lows mostly in the sixties.

Let’s take a look at the six to ten and eight to fourteen day temperature and precipitation outlooks.

These are probability maps.  Odds favor below normal temperatures in the deepest blue zone.  This is for August 10th through August 14th.

This next image is the precipitation outlook for the same time period

This next update is for August 14th through August 18th

This graphic is for temperatures

Precipitation for the same time period

Are you subscribing to the Weather Talk texts and videos?

We now have premiere videos for the short and long range forecasts!  Make sure you have text option four turned on (green).

We also have an Apple and Android app (scroll down to bottom of the page for more information)

Were you aware that I have hired some help for long range videos?  Short range videos, as well.  An amazing team of meteorologists.

Click the link below to read more

http://cms.weathertalk.com/meet-the-team/

Weather Talk subscribers now have some of the best short and long range weather videos produced across the eastern United States.

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Find me on Twitter

12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not update then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

During the winter you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

National interactive radar:  Click this link.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky.  These are interactive radars.  Local city radars – click here

The Beau Dodson Weather APP is ready for Apple and Android users.  The purpose of this app is for me to deliver your text messages instantly.  ATT and Verizon have not always been reliable when it comes to speed.  The app allows instant delivery.

Some of you have asked if you can keep receiving the texts on your phone and the app.  The answer to that is, yes.  The Android app will automatically allow that to happen.  On the Apple app, however, you will need to go into your app and click settings.  Make sure the green tab is OFF.  Off means you will still receive the texts to your phone and the app.  If you have any questions, then email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The app is for text subscribers.

The direct download, for the Apple app, can be viewed here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1190136514

If you have not signed up for the texting service then you may do so at www.beaudodsonweather.com

The Android app is also ready.

Remember, the app’s are for www.weathertalk.com subscribers.  The app allows your to receive the text messages faster than ATT and Verizon.

Here is the download link for the Android version  Click Here

——————————————————–

If you have not signed up for the texts messages, then please do.  Link www.beaudodsonweather.com

Your support helps with the following:

and

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 39 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology and a Bachelor’s of Science.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.  I served from 2005 through 2015.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue.  2015 through current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

I am the chief meteorologist for Weather Talk LLC.  I am the owner of Weather Talk LLC.

I am also a business owner in western Kentucky.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.

In 2005 I helped open the largest American Cross shelter in U.S. history in Houston, Texas.  I was deployed to help after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita.  I was a shelter manager of one of the Houston, Texas shelter divisions.

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and this blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on some television stations or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

Many of the graphics on this page are from www.weatherbell.com

WeatherBell is a great resource for weather model guidance.

2014-11-24_13-59-16

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions

Comments are closed.