Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

August 17th and 18, 2017: Warm days ahead, then cooler.

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm
Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

Live lightning data ~ click here
————————————-
Weather Talk subscribers ~ I have hired a team of long-range meteorologist to help cover agriculture forecasts.  Videos are updated once or twice each day (Monday through Friday).

Videos can be viewed at this link.    Long Range Video Update

If you believe you missed a video then you can also click the LIVE FEED link on the Weather Talk website.  That page holds links for several days.

I can text you the videos, as well.  Make sure you have text option FOUR turned on.  That would be the Weather Extra text option.  Sign up for the text messages at www.beaudodsonweather.com

bottomlineitgif
This forecast update covers southern Illinois, southeast Missouri, western Kentucky. and northwest Tennessee.
The following link is for Weather Text subscribers.  This is the page where short and long range video outlooks have been posted.  The videos are being produced by a team of meteorologists.  Some of the best in the region.
https://weathertalk.com/app/beaucast

August 17, 2017
Thursday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Quite a few clouds the first half of the night and then some clearing.  Any remaining showers and thunderstorms will come to an end as the night wears on.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 63 to 68        IL ~ 63 to 68        KY ~ 63 to 68       TN ~ 63 to 68
Winds: Evening winds from the south and southwest at 6 to 12 mph.  Winds becoming west and northwest overnight at speeds of 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways early.  Lightning early.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Is severe weather expected?  Monitor updates
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation
?  MO ~ 30%    IL ~ 30%    KY ~ 30%    TN ~ 30%
Coverage of precipitation
:  Scattered early, but ending as the night wears on.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars.

August 18, 2017
Friday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly to mostly sunny.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 85 to 88     IL ~ 85 to 88      KY ~ 85 to 88       TN ~ 85 to 88
Winds:  West and northwest at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 10%    KY ~ 10%    TN ~ 10%
: None anticipated.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No
Friday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear.  A few passing clouds.  Patchy fog possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 64 to 68        IL ~ 64 to 68       KY ~ 64 to 68      TN ~ 64 to 68
Winds:  Variable winds at 0 to 5 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none.  Some fog can’t be ruled out.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible
?  MO ~ 0%    IL ~ 0%    KY ~ 0%    TN ~ 0%
:  None for most of the night.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

August 19, 2017
Saturday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly to mostly sunny.  Isolated showers and thunderstorms possible.  A bit warmer.  A bit more humid.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 85 to 90     IL ~ 85 to 90      KY ~ 85 to 90       TN ~ 85 to 90
Winds:  Variable at 4 to 8 mph.  Winds mostly southwest.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Scattered wet roads and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
: Isolated to scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No, but check radars
Saturday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Partly cloudy during the evening, then clearing.  An evening shower or thunderstorm possible.  Patchy fog possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 66 to 72        IL ~ 66 to 72       KY ~ 66 to 72      TN ~ 66 to 72
Winds:  Variable at 4 to 8 mph becoming calm.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Patchy dense fog possible.  Isolated wet roadways and lightning possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  Isolated early
Should I cancel my outdoor plans? No, but check radars

August 20, 2017
Sunday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly to mostly sunny.  Humid.  Warm.  An isolated thunderstorm possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 85 to 90    IL ~ 85 to 90      KY ~ 85 to 90      TN ~ 85 to 90
Winds:  Variable at 4 to 8 mph.  Winds mostly southeast and south.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify.
Is severe weather expected? No
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  None to isolated.
Sunday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear.  Mild.  Fog possible.  A slight chance for an evening thunderstorm.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 65 to 70        IL ~ 65 to 70       KY ~ 65 to 70      TN ~ 65 to 70
Winds:  Light and variable <8 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 10%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  None to isolated.

August 21, 2017
Eclipse Day
Monday Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  Isolated thunderstorms possible.  Hot.  Humid.  Cirrus clouds possible.  Not sure on how much coverage.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 85 to 90      IL ~ 85 to 90       KY ~ 85 to 90        TN ~ 85 to 90
Winds:  South and southwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps isolated to scattered wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium.  Some adjustments are possible
Is severe weather expected?  Not at this time
?  MO ~ 20% to 30%    IL ~ 20% to 30%    KY ~ 20% to 30%    TN ~ 20% to 30%
: Isolated to perhaps scattered.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars and updated forecast numbers.
Monday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Partly cloudy.  A slight chance for an evening thunderstorm.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 68 to 74        IL ~ 68 to 74       KY ~ 68 to 74      TN ~ 68 to 74
Winds:  South and southwest at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none.  Isolated wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments possible.
?  MO ~ 20%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%    TN ~ 20%
:  Isolated

August 22, 2017
Tues
day Forecast Details
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  Scattered thunderstorms possible.  Warm.  Humid.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 86 to 90     IL ~ 86 to 90      KY ~ 86 to 90       TN ~ 86 to 90
Winds:  South and southwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps scattered wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments are possible
: Scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars and updated forecast numbers.
Tuesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Partly cloudy.  Showers and thunderstorms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 68 to 74        IL ~ 68 to 74       KY ~ 68 to 74      TN ~ 68 to 74
Winds:  South and southwest at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Scattered wet roadways and lightning.
My confidence in the forecast verifyingLow.  Significant adjustments possible.
:  Perhaps scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check back for updated forecast numbers.

August 23, 2017
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast:  Some clouds. A chance for showers and thunderstorms.  Cooler.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 80 to 85     IL ~ 80 to 85     KY ~80 to 85     TN ~80 to 85
Winds:  Northerly winds at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Low.  Significant adjustments are possible
Is severe weather expected?
:
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?
Wednesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Some clouds.  A chance for showers.
Temperatures:   MO ~ 58 to 64      IL ~ 58 to 64      KY ~ 58 to 64      TN ~ 58 to 64
Winds: Northerly winds 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?
My confidence in the forecast verifyingLow.  Significant adjustments possible.
Is severe weather expected?
:
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?

2015-03-20_19-08-11

Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

2014-11-24_13-38-04

A severe thunderstorm is defined as a storm that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a tornado.  That is the official National Weather Service definition of a severe thunderstorm.

Thursday night through next Wednesday:  A few remaining storms possible on Thursday evening, but precipitation should be winding down

Severe Weather Graphic for Friday through next Thursday

Isolated storms possible Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Lightning would be the main concern.

I will be monitoring a new cold front on Tuesday/Tuesday night.  That front could bring organized storms back into the area.

beausanalysis

The weekend is upon us.  I do have some good news for Friday.  The cold front that will be moving through the region on Thursday afternoon/evening will mean somewhat lower dew points for Friday and Friday night.  What does that mean?  It will feel just a little bit nicer outside.

Rain chances will diminish on Thursday evening.  They may linger longest over the Pennyrile area of western Kentucky.

Friday and Friday night are shaping up to be dry.

Isolated to perhaps scattered thunderstorms possible on Saturday into Sunday afternoon.  Most areas should remain dry, but a couple of locations may pick up a hefty thunderstorm.

Eclipse (see further down in the blog for more details)

Monday will be warm and muggy.  Dew points bounce back into the oppressive territory.

Temperatures will rise into the middle 80’s before the eclipse.  I can’t rule out upper 80’s, but with the eclipse temperatures will drop.  Either way, it will be warm and humid.

A weak disturbance will be moving into the region from the west.  This could mean a few showers or even thunderstorms.  Confidence on coverage is low.  I continue to include a 20% to 30% for showers and thunderstorms.

Here is the dew point forecast for the coming days.  Remember, dew point is a measure of moisture.  It impacts how you feel outside.  Dry, humid, muggy, or oppressive.

I will include Thursday, so you can see the drop.  Decent drop for Friday.  It may still feel a bit humid outside, but not as bad as Thursday.

High temperatures for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Friday highs

Saturday

Sunday

Low temperatures

Friday morning lows

Saturday morning lows

Sunday morning lows

Dew points

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday (back to ick weather)

Temperature forecast from the GFS for the coming 15 days.  Keep in mind, past day seven the confidence decreases rapidly.

The temperatures past day six may not be cool enough.  A  sharper cool spell is anticipated as we move towards the end of August.

Eclipse forecast

A mix of sun and clouds on Monday.  I am concerned about two items.  Cumulus clouds are likely with temperatures rising into the 80’s before the eclipse.  The second concern will be cirrus clouds.

Thunderstorms are anticipated to our west and northwest on Sunday night/Monday morning.   Occasionally, these systems can have cirrus blow off that drifts hundreds of miles.  This could ruin our eclipse.  Not saying that will happen, but I am monitoring the possibility.

Temperatures will drop 6 to 12 degrees in the totality area.  Perhaps more.

Confidence in the overall forecast is medium.

GFS cloud cover forecast for 7 am and 1 pm Monday

7 AM cloud forecast

1 PM cloud forecast from the GFS model

The EC guidance shows light precipitation totals over our area from late Monday morning into the evening.  This is a second model that would indicate at least some potential for problems.

The model does not consider the eclipse.  That could mean temperatures will be cooler than the model indicates.  That could also mess up cloud formation.  Warmer air would mean more cumulus clouds vs somewhat cooler temperatures.  Again, tricky forecast.

I do believe we have some clouds to deal with on Monday.  The question is extent.

We will not know the answer to the cirrus cloud subject until Saturday night or Sunday.

There is a risk for a thunderstorm complex somewhere over Kansas or Missouri on Sunday night and Monday morning.  Confidence in the placement of the complex is rather low.  Guidance is not in agreement.

Hopefully the complex will be further to the west than some model guidance is showing.

You can see the ridge of high pressure to our south and southeast.  The ridge is where sinking air will occur.  We will be on the northern edge of the ridge.  That makes for a tough forecast.

This could cause cirrus clouds to blow into our area.  Cirrus clouds could block the sun.  This is a concern.  Too early for confidence to be high, but it is certainly something to monitor.

Hoping for the best.  There are risks.

Are you subscribing to the Weather Talk texts and videos?

We now have premiere videos for the short and long range forecasts!  Make sure you have text option four turned on (green).

We also have an Apple and Android app (scroll down to bottom of the page for more information)

Were you aware that I have hired some help for long range videos?  Short range videos, as well.  An amazing team of meteorologists.

Click the link below to read more

http://cms.weathertalk.com/meet-the-team/

Weather Talk subscribers now have some of the best short and long range weather videos produced across the eastern United States.

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Find me on Twitter

12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not update then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

During the winter you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

National interactive radar:  Click this link.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky.  These are interactive radars.  Local city radars – click here

The Beau Dodson Weather APP is ready for Apple and Android users.  The purpose of this app is for me to deliver your text messages instantly.  ATT and Verizon have not always been reliable when it comes to speed.  The app allows instant delivery.

Some of you have asked if you can keep receiving the texts on your phone and the app.  The answer to that is, yes.  The Android app will automatically allow that to happen.  On the Apple app, however, you will need to go into your app and click settings.  Make sure the green tab is OFF.  Off means you will still receive the texts to your phone and the app.  If you have any questions, then email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The app is for text subscribers.

The direct download, for the Apple app, can be viewed here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1190136514

If you have not signed up for the texting service then you may do so at www.beaudodsonweather.com

The Android app is also ready.

Remember, the app’s are for www.weathertalk.com subscribers.  The app allows your to receive the text messages faster than ATT and Verizon.

Here is the download link for the Android version  Click Here

——————————————————–

If you have not signed up for the texts messages, then please do.  Link www.beaudodsonweather.com

Your support helps with the following:

and

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 39 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology and a Bachelor’s of Science.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.  I served from 2005 through 2015.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue.  2015 through current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

I am the chief meteorologist for Weather Talk LLC.  I am the owner of Weather Talk LLC.

I am also a business owner in western Kentucky.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.

In 2005 I helped open the largest American Cross shelter in U.S. history in Houston, Texas.  I was deployed to help after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita.  I was a shelter manager of one of the Houston, Texas shelter divisions.

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and this blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on some television stations or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

Many of the graphics on this page are from www.weatherbell.com

WeatherBell is a great resource for weather model guidance.

2014-11-24_13-59-16

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions

Comments are closed.