Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

April 7, 2018: Snow! Warmer later this week.

Radars
http://weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm

April 7, 2018
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:   Morning clouds.  A chance of snow or snow showers before 11 AM.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 36 to 44      IL ~  38 to 44         KY ~ 38 to 44       TN ~  42 to 46
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 30%      IL ~  40%       KY ~ 40%          TN ~ 40%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered during the morning.  Ending from west to east.
Winds: North at 10 to 20 mph and gusty
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Early morning freeze.  There could also be a few slick spots as moisture remains from last nights rain.  Monitor snow chances.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but it will be cold.
Sunrise: 6:31 AM 

Saturday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
:  Mostly clear.  Colder. Hard freeze likely.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 22 to 26       IL ~ 24 to 28      KY ~  24 to 28     TN ~ 25 to 30
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~  0%
Coverage of precipitation: None
Winds:  North northeast at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Frost and freeze conditions
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Is severe weather expected? No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunset: 7:22 PM

April 8, 2018
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Mostly sunny early.  Increasing clouds late.  A chance of an isolated afternoon shower.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 45 to 50      IL ~  44 to 48        KY ~ 46 to 52     TN ~  48 to 54
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 30%      IL ~  30%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 30%
Coverage of precipitation: None to perhaps isolated late in the day.
Winds: North and northeast at 5 to 10 mph.  Winds becoming east and southeast at 7 to 14 mph.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps isolated afternoon wet roadways.
Sunrise: 6:29 AM

Sunday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Cloudy.  A chance of rain or rain/snow mix.  Cold.
Temperatures:  MO ~  28 to 34      IL ~ 28 to 34      KY ~ 32 to 36      TN ~ 34 to 38
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 40%      IL ~  40%       KY ~  40%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered
Winds:  Variable at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars
Sunset: 7:23 PM

April 9, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Morning clouds, especially northern half of the region.  Otherwise, a mix of sun and clouds.  A 20% of a shower or snow shower before 8 AM across northern portions of southern Illinois and northwest Kentucky.   It may end up being sunny over the southern half of the region.  Clouds increase as you move northward.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 56 to 62      IL ~  55 to 58         KY ~ 56 to 62      TN ~  60 to 62
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 10%      IL ~  20% before 8 AM       KY ~ 20% early          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation: Most likely over before sunrise.
Winds: Becoming northwest 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise: 6:28 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Quite a few clouds.  A chance of frost.  The risk of frost increases if clouds clear.  Chilly for April.
Temperatures:  MO ~  32 to 36      IL ~ 30 to 35      KY ~ 32 to 36        TN ~ 33 to 36
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  Most likely none
Winds:  North and northwest 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Frost possible
Sunset: 7:23 PM

April 10, 2018
Tuesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Partly to mostly sunny.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 53 to 56      IL ~  52 to 55         KY ~ 53 to 56       TN ~  54 to 58
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: Northeast 4 to 8 mph
Sunrise: 6:27 AM

Tuesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Frost again possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~  34 to 36      IL ~ 33 to 36      KY ~ 34 to 38        TN ~ 36 to 40
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds:  North and northwest at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Frost
Sunset: 7:24 PM

April 11, 2018
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly sunny.  Some increase in clouds as the day wears on.  It will feel more like spring.  Breezy, at times.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 62 to 66      IL ~  62 to 66         KY ~ 62 to 66      TN ~  62 to 66
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: South and southwest at 7 to 14 mph with gusts to 20 mph
Sunrise: 6:25 AM

Wednesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Intervals of clouds.  A slight chance of a fast-moving shower.  Not as cold.
Temperatures:  MO ~  45 to 50      IL ~ 46 to 52      KY ~ 48 to 52        TN ~ 48 to 52
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: None to isolated
Winds:  South and southwest at 7 to 14 mph with gusts to 20 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Most likely none.  Slight chance of a wet roadway.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updates.
Sunset: 7:25 PM

April 12, 2018
Thursday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Warmer.  Spring temperatures.  Mostly sunny.  Breezy.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 70 to 75      IL ~  70 to 75          KY ~ 70 to 74       TN ~  73 to 76
Coverage of precipitation: Most likely none
Winds:  South and southwest at 10 to 20 mph with higher gusts
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none
Sunrise: 6:24 AM

Thursday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  Mild.  Breezy.
Temperatures:  MO ~  52 to 56      IL ~ 52 to 56       KY ~ 53 to 56        TN ~ 53 to 56
Winds:  South and southwest at 10 to 20 mph and gusty
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
Sunset: 7:26 PM

April 13, 2018
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Quite a bit of sun.  Breezy.  Some increase in clouds with a chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms after 3 PM
Temperatures:  MO ~ 70 to 75      IL ~  70 to 75         KY ~ 72 to 76       TN ~  72 to 76
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 30%      IL ~  30%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation:  Perhaps a few late day showers or thunderstorms.
Winds: South at 15 to 30 mph and gusty
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps wet roadways.  Perhaps lightning.  The precipitation chances would be late in the day.  The front may hold off until Friday night.
Is severe weather expected?  Not at this time.  Monitor updates.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check updates and radars.
Sunrise: 6:22 AM

The timing of the cold frontal passage Friday night and Saturday will be key to the weekend forecast.

The timing appears to be anywhere from Friday night into Saturday afternoon.

Friday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Increasing clouds. A good chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Some storms could be heavy.  Mild temperatures.
Temperatures:  MO ~  55 to 60      IL ~ 55 to 60      KY ~ 55 to 60        TN ~ 55 to 60
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 60%      IL ~  60%       KY ~  50%          TN ~ 50%
Coverage of precipitation: Increasing coverage overnight.
Winds:  South at 10 to 20 mph and gusty.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps wet roads and lightning.  Monitor the threat of severe weather.
Is severe weather expected?  Severe weather can’t be ruled out.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates.
Sunset: 7:27 PM

April 14, 2018
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  A chance of morning showers and thunderstorms.  Some storms could be heavy.  The timing of the cold front will need to be monitored.  Temperatures may peak early in the day.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 64 to 68      IL ~  64 to 68         KY ~ 65 to 70       TN ~  65 to 70
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 40%      IL ~  60%       KY ~ 60%          TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Numerous during the morning.  Decreasing coverage as the day wears on.
Winds: Becoming west at 6 to 12 mph and gusty.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.  Lightning.  Monitor the risk of intense thunderstorms.
Is severe weather expected?  Perhaps.  Monitor updates.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates.
Sunrise: 6:21 AM

Saturday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Clearing.  Colder.  Monitor frost chances.
Temperatures:  MO ~  35 to 40      IL ~ 35 to 40      KY ~ 35 to 40        TN ~ 35 to 40
Coverage of precipitation: None anticipated
Winds:  West and northwest at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Perhaps frost.
Sunset: 7:28 PM

April 15, 2018
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly sunny.  Cooler.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 45 to 50      IL ~  45 to 50        KY ~ 45 to 50       TN ~  45 to 50
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Winds: West at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None anticipated
Sunrise: 6:20 AM

Sunday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Frost possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 35 to 40      IL ~ 35 to 50      KY ~ 35 to 50        TN ~ 35 to 50
Winds:
Sunset: 7:29 PM

April 16, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Partly sunny.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 55 to 60      IL ~  55 to 60         KY ~ 55 to 60       TN ~  55 to 60
Winds:
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  LOW
Sunrise: 6:18 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Not as cold.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 44 to 48      IL ~ 44 to 48      KY ~ 44 to 48       TN ~ 44 to 48
Winds:
My confidence in the forecast verifying: LOW
Sunset: 7:30 PM

Interactive Radars:
Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

Questions?  Broken links?  Other?

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a  tornado.

Saturday through Thursday: Severe weather is not anticipated.

Friday and Saturday:  Perhaps a few thunderstorms.  Too early to know if severe weather will be a concern.

Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center.  Click here.

Weather Prediction Center.  Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite.  Track clouds.  Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

The spring and preliminary summer outlooks have been posted for subscribers.  Scroll down to see the outlook.

Not a subscriber?  Learn more at this link.

Weather Highlights

1. Snow will end this morning
  2. Hard freeze tonight
  3. Light rain or mix possible late Sunday afternoon and night
  4. MUCH warmer later this week!

Many of you woke up to snow this morning.  Anywhere from zero to two inches fell across the region.  Got to love this weather.

Temperatures tonight will dip into the 20’s.  The GFS shows upper 20’s.  I believe middle to upper 20’s are a good bet.  A hard freeze.

The good news is that there are warmer temperatures in the forecast.  Our snow will be but a memory by the middle and end of this week.   Temperatures rise into the 60’s and 70’s by Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (maybe Saturday).  Yes, you did read that correctly.  Finally, a string of warm days.  Hard to find so far this spring.

We have earned this warm weather.

Unfortunately, before that time, we are going to have to deal with some cold weather.  There will be a chance of frost and/or freeze conditions into Tuesday night.

A weak system could spark a few showers or rain/snow showers late Sunday afternoon and night.

Some areas may simply remain dry.  Totals of rain will be less than 0.20″.  Snow is not anticipated to accumulate.

Future-cast radar from the NAM model guidance.  The GFS model is drier than the NAM model.

The timestamp is located in the upper left portion of the graphic.

Here is the Thursday and Friday high temperature maps.

and Friday

Weather Brains is a weekly podcast/video for those who love weather and want more!

Weather Brains episode number 637

Tonight, we have the author of the book  The Man Who Caught the Storm: The Life of Legendary Tornado Chaser Tim Samaras about the 2013 deadly El Reno, Oklahoma tornado.  He is a journalist who has written for Wire, Popular Mechanics and Texas Monthly.  Brantley Hargrove, welcome to WeatherBrains!

Other discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• Possible severe weather on April 3rd across Mid-South and Ohio Valley/Squall line threat
  • E-mail segment from Aubrey
  • Possible snow in the mountains of East TN/NE Georgia this weekend
  • Astronomy Outlook with Tony Rice
  • and more!

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I am working on a few new items for us.

As always, I am grateful for all of you and the support you bring to my passion.

There was never a plan.

All of this started with a severe weather email list of ten or twenty people after the killer 2003 tornadoes. That grew to what you see today.

From that tornado, the Shadow Angel Foundation was born. We delivered hundreds of teddy bears to Pulaski, Massac, and Pope Counties. The “storm” bears went to Head Start, Kindergarten, and first graders. Included with the bears was a package of information for parents on how to talk to their child about tornadoes and severe weather.

We then worked with the Metropolis Planet on producing the Terror in the Night tornado book. The book was filled with personal accounts of that horrible night. Many people said the book helped bring closure.

Since then we have delivered thousands of teddy bears to Child Watch and Pasac. The counselors use the teddy bears to help the children feel safe.

Soon after that, the late Kent King (radio DJ and emergency manager) asked me to cover weather for McCracken County OEM/DES. I was COM 10 on the scanner feeds.

Ed Duff, with McCracken County Rescue, now utilizes my services during severe weather events along with two other local counties. They receive one on one attention during events.

That led me to Sue Henry with the American Red Cross where I was able to help during Hurricane Katrina and Rita. An experience that changed my life.

Around that time social media exploded onto the scene. My personal Facebook page quickly filled up with 5000 people. The limit Facebook allows for personal pages.

Facebook then started pages. I was able to make a page just for weather.

It was soon after that that I bought a portion of my family farm back. We built my house and the Weather Observatory.

Jason Darnall helped put together an amazing weather center. Many hours of work.

Then the Paducah Sun then asked me to do weather for them.

That led to the amazing team at Innovations Branding House. They produced my Weather Observatory website.

About four years ago there was a falling out with some local meteorologists. It bothered me so much that I almost quit weather.

The Paducah Sun even ran a story that I was taking a break from weather. I was taking a year off.

Several other local meteorologists then came to me and told me to brush it off. They encouraged me to start a weather business. They explained what I could bring to the local weather table.

Soon after that, as fate would have it, Preston Ursini and the Fire Horn team asked me to think about producing text messages during severe weather. That led to Weather Talk. That then led to the Weather Talk app.

Had it not been for that low point, I don’t think Weather Talk would have ever come to be. Life is funny like that. Something bad turned into something good.

I often times tell people that I have the best Facebook friends, enthusiasts, and followers. It is rare that someone complains on the weather page.

Some of you have basically become like family to me. When severe weather strikes it becomes personal to both you and me.

Here is what we are going to bring you.

1. We are coming out with a major app update for subscribers. We plan on having radar in the app, as well as your usual app/text messages to the daily blog, video, and Facebook updates.

2. We are completely revamping the WeatherTalk website. Preston Ursini, from The Fire Horn, is working alongside Innovations Branding House to complete this task. The Fire Horn is who I partner with to make all of this work.

3. I am going to try and stick to a daily schedule. That way everyone knows when to expect an update. See the comment section.

4. Many of you have asked me to do Facebook Live video updates during winter storms and severe weather outbreaks. I have spent the last week learning how to use OBS studio software. This software will allow me to deliver you Facebook Live events. You will get your wish.

5. We are moving towards a flat subscription fee of $5 a month. Everyone that is paying $3 a month will be grandfathered in. If you want to voluntarily upgrade to the $5 plan then that would be great. We will roll this out when the new website is finished.

Right now we have a $3, $5, and $10 plan. The only difference is how many cell phone numbers you can add.

With the $5 a month plan we will let everyone have up to seven phone numbers. That should cover your family members. Sound good?

6. I have streamlined the digital media blog. That would be the talk.weathertalk.com site. You will find that is has been organized.

Remember, I work for you. I don’t work for television or radio. I am your employee.

You have a personal meteorologist. And, as everyone knows, I put my heart and soul into this.

Subscribers will receive the following:

You may subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

1. The app/text updates during tornado outbreaks and all other weather events.
2. Rapid-fire tornado app/text messages. I send out numerous updates as I track the tornado. Some of you can testify to these rapid-fire tornado messages.
3. Daily weather forecast sent to your app/text.
4. Link sent to the app/text to the daily blog and Facebook updates on non-severe weather days. Instead of waiting around for me to post a new Facebook thread you can receive it in your app/text.
5. Link sent to the app/text to the daily blog and Facebook updates on severe weather or winter storm days.
6. We are updating the weather map page on the website. That page will have thousands of daily weather maps for you to access.
7. I answer every email you send. I try to answer every private message you send to me.
8. We run three hour live feeds during severe weather where we attempt to answer as many questions as possible. Same for winter storms.
9. You receive access to special short and long-range video updates from the Bamwx team (who help me with daily videos).
10. You receive access to special short, long-range, and seasonal temperature and precipitation outlooks.
11. Your subscription fee helps six local charities (see comment section for more information).

Normal monthly out of pocket operating costs (see comment section) are around $2000.00.

The service I provide is unique. I don’t believe there is anything else like it in the country. Not for this price and not for the volume of information you receive.

We hope to have the new app and website finished soon. Watch for announcements.

New schedule

Example of some of my rapid-fire tornado app/text messages.

Make sure you have app/text notification ONE turned on.  This one is called WeatherOne.  You can make sure that is on by signing into your www.weathertalk.com account and clicking the personal notification settings tab.  Make sure WeatherOne is on (green).  Green is on.  Red is off.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars.   If a radar does not update then try another one.  If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5.  You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.