Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

April 26 and 27, 2017 Heavy rain concerns over coming days

Thursday morning update

Thursday: The calm before more storms arrive.

I will post some graphics in the comment section throughout the day.

If you receive the text messages then please download the app (for Android and Apple). The app receives the messages instantly. ATT and Verizon do not always push the texts to you in a timely manner. This is why we developed the app.

1. Calm today into Friday early afternoon. Cooler today with highs mostly in the 60’s to perhaps some lower 70’s.

2. A frontal boundary stalls across our region Friday afternoon into Friday night. North of the front very heavy rain will occur. South of the front there will be the potential for supercell thunderstorms with large hail, high winds, and even a tornado threat. Most of Friday (during the day) may remain dry.

3. We do not know exactly where the front will become stationary and that is the key to the forecast at your house.

4. Rainfall totals on Wednesday were in the 0.25″ to 4″ range across the region. Between yesterday and Sunday night some areas will likely end up with 6 to 10 inches of rain. Isolated higher totals possible.

Most of the region will end up with grand totals of 2″ to 4″. That includes what fell on Wednesday.

Synopsis:

Woosh we had a long 24 hours. The storms are long gone this morning. There was one tornado last night and that was in Hickman County. Most likely this was a QLCS tornado. Short lived. We will see what the NWS finds in their storm survey.

There were numerous reports of 50 to 70 mph winds across the region. Quite a bit of wind damage.

You can enjoy today’s calm, but don’t get used to it. Big weather changes are on the way.

A front will become stationary across our region by Friday afternoon and evening. Warm soupy air will spill up and over the front.

Dew points by Friday night will have risen into the upper 60’s south of the front. Summer dew points.

Most of the day on Friday will be nice. Warm. Windy. You will wonder what the weatherman is talking about. There isn’t any storms on radar.

A strong CAP will blanket the area. A CAP is like a lid on the a pot of boiling water. Lift the CAP and all the steam rapidly rises. We will be CAPPED on Friday. Storms probably won’t form until the CAP breaks.

This sets the stage for what happens Friday night.

One thing to keep in mind. It is possible that the CAP holds over portions of our region. If the CAP holds then you will not have any concerns.

There is zero chance of the CAP holding north of the front. It is south of the front that is questionable.

This warm and moist air will rise up and over the front and this will produce widespread showers and heavy thunderstorms.

Flash flooding is a real concern on Friday night and early Saturday morning. Some locations will likely have picked up 3 to 5 inches of rain.

Flash flood watches cover portions of the region.

The air north of the front will be quite a bit more stable than south of the front. CAPE values north of the front would be elevated. That means hail is a possibility.

South of the front the CAPE numbers could pop into the 1500 to 2500 range. That is significant CAPE (energy for storms to tap into).

Lift index values of -5 to -9 are anticipated south of the front.

Wind shear values will be high. There will be quite a bit of spin in the atmosphere.

PWAT values will be near record highs. That is a measure of moisture in the atmosphere. Here we go again with record high PWAT values. The theme of the last few years.

IF (notice the IF) thunderstorms form south of the front then they will be severe. Any storms that can root itself along the stationary front could produce tornadoes.

Friday afternoon into Friday night will be a long event for forecasters. This will go on all night long.

Tornado and severe thunderstorm watches are likely to be issued along the front on Friday afternoon (late) and Friday night. These watches may last all night.

Questions remain about placement of the front. Monitor the latest updates.

Saturday: Showers and storms will continue north of the front. Best chances will be our northern and western counties. Portions of southeast Missouri and southern Illinois. Areas south of the front should have a period of quiet weather.

Saturday night into Sunday night:

The front returns. Shower and thunderstorm chances will increase on Saturday night into Sunday. Heavy rain is again possible. Some storms could become severe on Saturday night and Sunday.

Temperatures on Sunday will likely top out above 80 degrees ahead of the cold front. Strong and gusty winds, as well.

The specifics on the severe weather concerns on Saturday night and Sunday will need to be ironed out. Let’s concentrate on the Friday event, for now. Just keep in mind that more active weather is possible Saturday night into Sunday.

bottomlineitgif

http://www.weatherobservatory.com/weather-radar.htm
Need to track the rain?
Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link
This forecast update covers far southern Illinois, far southeast Missouri, and far western Kentucky. See the coverage map on the right side of the blog

Wednesday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Cloudy.  Showers and thunderstorms likely.  A few strong storms possible.  Locally heavy downpours (esp over Missouri and Illinois).
Temperatures:  MO ~ 52 to 56   IL ~ 52 to 56     KY ~ 54 to 58     TN ~ 54 to 58
Winds: South and southwest becoming west and northwest at 10 to 20 mph.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High.  This forecast should verify.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Lightning.  Heavy downpours.  A few storms could be intense.
Is severe weather expected?  Perhaps isolated severe reports for southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois.  Small risk elsewhere.
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great,  hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 90%  IL ~ 90%    KY ~ 80%   TN ~ 80%
Coverage of precipitation: Widespread
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Have a plan B.

April 27, 2017
Thursday Forecast Details
Forecast
:  Partly cloudy.  A morning shower possible. Cooler.  Less humid.
Temperatures:   MO ~  64 to 68   IL ~ 64 to 68     KY ~ 64 to 68    TN ~ 64 to 68
Winds:  West and northwest winds at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 14 mph.  Winds becoming south during the afternoon hours.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps some wet roadways before 10 am.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph winds or great,  hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
What is the chance of precipitation
?  MO ~ 10%    IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 30%    TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation
: None to isolated
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunrise will be at 6:02 a.m. and sunset will be at 7:40 p.m.

Thursday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Partly to mostly cloudy.  A 30% chance for thunderstorms after 1 am.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 54 to 58   IL ~ 54 to 58     KY ~ 54 to 58     TN ~ 54 to 58
Winds: East and southeast at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 15 mph
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lightning.  Wet roadways.
Is severe weather expected?  No
?  MO ~ 30%  IL ~ 20%    KY ~ 20%   TN ~ 20%
: Isolated to scattered late at night.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No

April 28, 2017
Friday Forecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly cloudy.  Thunderstorms possible.  Warm.  Severe storms possible.
Temperatures:   MO ~  75 to 80  IL ~ 74 to 78     KY ~ 75 to 80     TN ~ 75 to 80
Winds:  East and southeast winds at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 20 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Lightning.  Wet roadways.  Some storms could become severe with hail, high winds, and isolated tornadoes.  Flash flooding possible.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium.  Some adjustments are possible.
Is severe weather expected?  Severe weather possible.
?  MO ~ 60%    IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 60%    TN ~ 60%
: Scattered.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updates
Sunrise will be at 6:02 a.m. and sunset will be at 7:41 p.m.

Friday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Cloudy.  Showers and thunderstorms likely.  Locally heavy downpours possible. Flash flooding possible.  Severe storms possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 62 to 66   IL ~ 62 to 66     KY ~ 62 to 66     TN ~ 62 to 66
Winds: South winds at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lightning.  Gusty winds.  Wet roadways.  Severe storms with hail, wind, and tornadoes possible.  Flash flooding possible.
Is severe weather expected?  Severe storms are possible.  Flash flooding possible.
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 80%  IL ~ 80%    KY ~ 70%   TN ~ 70%
Coverage of precipitation: Numerous.
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updated forecasts.  Some storms are possible Friday night.

April 29, 2017
Saturday Forecast Details
Forecast
:  Partly sunny.  A 50% for morning showers and thunderstorms.  A 40% for afternoon showers and thunderstorms.  Mild.  Breezy, at times.
Temperatures:   MO ~  76 to 82  IL ~ 76 to 82     KY ~ 76 to 82     TN ~ 76 to 82
Winds:  South winds at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 20 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Lightning.  Wet roadways.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Low.  Significant adjustments are possible.
Is severe weather expected?  Monitor updates.
?  MO ~ 40%    IL ~ 40%    KY ~ 40%    TN ~ 40%
: Scattered
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor radars.
Sunrise will be at 6:00 a.m. and sunset will be at 7:42 p.m.

Saturday Night Forecast Details:
Forecast
: Mostly cloudy.  Warm.  A shower or thunderstorm possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 to 70   IL ~ 65 to 70     KY ~ 65 to 70     TN ~ 65 to 70
Winds: South winds at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 18 mph
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Low.  Significant adjustments are possible.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Lightning.  Gusty winds.  Wet roadways.  Flash flooding.
Is severe weather expected?  Some storms could be intense.
?  MO ~ 60%  IL ~ 60%    KY ~ 60%   TN ~ 60%
: Scattered to perhaps numerous
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updated forecasts.

2015-03-20_19-08-11
Don’t forget to check out the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory web-site for weather maps, tower cams, scanner feeds, radars, and much more!  Click here

beausanalysis

An explanation of what is happening in the atmosphere over the coming day

2014-11-24_13-38-04

Severe thunderstorm outlook.

Remember that a severe thunderstorm is defined as a thunderstorm that produces 60 mph winds or higher, quarter size hail or larger, and/or a tornado.

Wednesday night:  Some storms could be severe.  Heavy rain possible.  High winds and hail possible.

Thursday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Thursday night:  A few storms are possible.  It does not appear that severe weather is a concern, but monitor updates.

Frida and Friday night:  Severe thunderstorms are possible.  Heavy rain likely.  Flash flooding concerns.  Monitor updates.  The greatest risk will likely be Friday afternoon and night.

Saturday and Saturday night:  Saturday might end up mostly dry.  Tough call.  If storms were to form on Saturday then they could become severe.  Storms are more likely Saturday night.  Storms on Saturday night could produce heavy rain.  I can’t rule out severe weather, but confidence is low.

Sunday and Sunday night:  Storms are likely ahead of a cold front.  Heavy rain possible.  Some storms could be severe.

———————————

Weather analysis for the next few days:

The main concern will be heavy rain.

Here is the NAM rainfall forecast through 7 pm on Saturday.  This does not include rain that will fall on Sunday and Sunday night.

Remember, these are models.  Models are for guidance and are not gospel.  These totals won’t be exact.

Here is the GFS and GEM models.  These maps extend through Sunday night.

This won’t be exact.  Take the general idea that heavy rain is likely.  The heaviest totals might end up over Missouri and Illinois.

Here is the latest NOAA rainfall forecast for the next seven days.

Click images to enlarge

MO IL view

KY TN view

12345r

We have regional radars and local city radars – if a radar does not update then try another one. Occasional browsers need their cache cleared. You may also try restarting your browser. That usually fixes the problem. Occasionally we do have a radar go down. That is why I have duplicates. Thus, if one fails then try another one.

During the winter you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

If you have any problems then please send me an email beaudodson@usawx.com

Interactive Weather Radar Page.  Choose the city nearest your location:  Click this link

National interactive radar:  Click this link.

Local interactive city radars include St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Poplar Bluff, Cape Girardeau, Marion, Paducah, Hopkinsville, Memphis, Nashville, Dyersburg, and all of eastern Kentucky.  These are interactive radars.  Local city radars – click here

Regional Radar

2014-12-21_20-26-42

The official 6-10 day and 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Check the date stamp at the top of each image (so you understand the time frame).

The forecast maps below are issued by the Weather Prediction Center (NOAA)

The latest 8-14 day temperature and precipitation outlook.  Note the dates are at the top of the image.  These maps DO NOT tell you how high or low temperatures or precipitation will be.  They simply give you the probability as to whether temperatures or precipitation will be above or below normal.

The Beau Dodson Weather APP is ready for Apple and Android users. The purpose of this app is for me to deliver your text messages instantly.  ATT and Verizon have not always been reliable when it comes to speed.  The app allows instant delivery.

Some of you have asked if you can keep receiving the texts on your phone and the app.  The answer to that is, yes.  The Android app will automatically allow that to happen.  On the Apple app, however, you will need to go into your app and click settings.  Make sure the green tab is OFF.  Off means you will still receive the texts to your phone and the app.  If you have any questions, then email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The app is for text subscribers.

The direct download, for the Apple app, can be viewed here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1190136514

If you have not signed up for the texting service then you may do so at www.beaudodsonweather.com

The Android app is also ready.

Remember, the app’s are for www.weathertalk.com subscribers.  The app allows your to receive the text messages faster than ATT and Verizon.

Here is the download link for the Android version  Click Here

——————————————————–

If you have not signed up for the texts messages, then please do.  Link www.beaudodsonweather.com

Your support helps with the following:

and

2015-01-15_11-23-23

Who do you trust for your weather information and who holds them accountable?

I have studied weather in our region since the late 1970’s.  I have 39 years of experience in observing our regions weather patterns.  My degree is in Broadcast Meteorology and a Bachelor’s of Science.

My resume includes:

Member of the American Meteorological Society.

NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Emergency Management.  I served from 2005 through 2015.

Meteorologist for McCracken County Rescue. 2015 through current

I own and operate the Southern Illinois Weather Observatory.

I am the chief meteorologist for Weather Talk LLC.  I am the owner of Weather Talk LLC.

I am also a business owner in western Kentucky.

Recipient of the Mark Trail Award, WPSD Six Who Make A Difference Award, Kentucky Colonel, and the Caesar J. Fiamma” Award from the American Red Cross.

In 2005 I helped open the largest American Cross shelter in U.S. history in Houston, Texas.  I was deployed to help after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita.  I was a shelter manager of one of the Houston, Texas shelter divisions.

In 2009 I was presented with the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Award.

Recognized by the Kentucky House of Representatives for my service to the State of Kentucky leading up to several winter storms and severe weather outbreaks.

If you click on the image below you can read the Kentucky House of Representatives Resolution.

2015-01-15_12-22-08

I am also President of the Shadow Angel Foundation which serves portions of western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

There is a lot of noise on the internet.  A lot of weather maps are posted without explanation.  Over time you should learn who to trust for your weather information.

My forecast philosophy is simple and straight forward.

• Communicate in simple terms
  • To be as accurate as possible within a reasonable time frame before an event
  • Interact with you on Twitter, Facebook, email, texts, and this blog
  • Minimize the “hype” that you might see on some television stations or through other weather sources
  • Push you towards utilizing wall-to-wall LOCAL TV coverage during severe weather events

Many of the graphics on this page are from www.weatherbell.com

WeatherBell is a great resource for weather model guidance.

2014-11-24_13-59-16

awaremail

You can sign up for my AWARE email by clicking here I typically send out AWARE emails before severe weather, winter storms, or other active weather situations. I do not email watches or warnings. The emails are a basic “heads up” concerning incoming weather conditions

Comments are closed.