Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

April 23, 2018: Non-subscriber update. Rain chances and clouds this week.

12 PM update

Future-cast radar.  Some storms possible this afternoon.  A few could produce hail.

Timestamp upper left

2018 Teddy Bear Fund Raiser Campaign!

We are about $500 short for our fundraiser.  Please consider donating $5 or $10.  Much appreciated!

The Shadow Angel Foundation is raising money for new teddy bears to be donated to Child Watch and PASAC of western Kentucky. This is our 15th year of donating new bears to these two organizations.

This is a matching fundraiser. That means your donation is doubled.

If you would like to help then follow this link

April 18, 2018

The KPAH WSR-88D Doppler radar operated by the NOAA National Weather Service in Paducah,
KY will be down for a little over three weeks for the repair of a major mechanical component.

An engineering team from the Radar Operations Center (ROC) in Norman, Oklahoma, determined
that the bull gear, the primary gear for turning the radar antenna, has failed. This repair will
require 12,000 to 15,000 pounds of equipment and a six-person team from the ROC to restore
the radar. At this time, the team anticipates repairs being completed during the next couple of
weeks with the radar returning to service by May 11th.

During the downtime, adjacent NWS supporting radars include:
Springfield, MO (KSGF)
St. Louis, MO (KLSX)
Lincoln, IL (KILX)
Indianapolis, IN (KIND)
Louisville, KY (KLVX)
Evansville, IN (KVWX)
Fort Campbell, KY (KHPX)
Nashville, TN (KOHX)
Memphis, TN (KNQA)
Little Rock, AR (KLZK).

The Paducah, KY WSR-88D is 23 years old and part of a network of 159 operational radars. The
radars are supported by three federal agencies: NOAA National Weather Service, United States
Air Force, and the Federal Aviation Administration. The Radar Operations Center provides
lifecycle management and support for all WSR-88Ds.

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $3 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

For $3 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

1.  Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed by Beau.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.
  2.  Daily forecast app/texts from my computer to your app/cell phone.
  3.  Social media links sent directly to your app/cell phone.  When I update the blog, videos, or Facebook you will receive the link.
  4.  AWARE emails.  These emails keep you well ahead of the storm. They give you several days of lead time before significant weather events.
  5.  Direct access to Beau via text and email.  Your very own personal meteorologist.  I work for you!
  6.  Missouri and Ohio Valley centered video updates
  7.  Long-range weather videos
  8.  Week one, two, three and four temperature and precipitation outlooks.
  9.  Monthly outlooks.
  10.  Your subscription also will help support several local charities.

Haven’t you subscribed?  Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Example of a recent severe weather alert.  I issued this well before the official tornado warning.  You would have had plenty of time for you and your family to seek shelter.

Your $3 per month also helps support these local charity projects.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

WWW.WEATHERTALK.COM subscribers, here is my day to day schedule for your weather products.

April 23, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  If the dry slot moves into our region then the sun could come out.  If that happens then a few storms will be possible, as well.  Small hail could occur with any storms that form.  Mostly cloudy.  Rain showers likely.  Isolated thunderstorm possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 62  to 65     IL ~  62 to 65         KY ~ 62 to 66       TN ~ 62 to 66
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 60%      IL ~ 60%       KY ~ 60%          TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Scattered to perhaps numerous.
Winds: Variable wind direction at 7 to 14 mph with gusty winds from time to time.  Winds will be quite gusty around the low.  Winds near the low will be nearly calm.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways.  Isolated lightning. Small hail.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updates.
Sunrise: 6:09 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Cloudy.  Evening showers and thunderstorms.  Patch fog.  Some evening storms will be heavy.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 46 to 52      IL ~ 46 to 52      KY ~ 46 to 52      TN ~ 46 to 52
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 40%      IL ~  40%       KY ~  60%          TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered (more numerous in the evening vs late tonight)
Winds:  Variable at 7 to 14 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.  Small hail early.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor radars.  Have a plan B in the evening.
Sunset: 7:36 PM

April 24, 2018
Tuesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Quite a few clouds.  A few showers possible, esp over Kentucky and Tennessee.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 63 to 66      IL ~  63 to 66        KY ~ 63 to 66       TN ~  63 to 66
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 30%          TN ~ 30%
Coverage of precipitation: Isolated to scattered
Winds: North and northwest at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 14 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? A few wet roadways.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but check radars
Sunrise: 6:08 AM

Tuesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  An isolated shower possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 48 to 54      IL ~ 48 to 54      KY ~ 48 to 54       TN ~ 48 to 54
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 10%      IL ~  10%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Isolated
Winds: North and northwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Isolated wet roadways
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunset: 7:37 PM

April 25, 2018
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  Mild.  A slight chance of a shower.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 to 68      IL ~  65 to 68          KY ~ 65 to 68       TN ~  65 to 68
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Isolated
Winds: North and northwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways
Sunrise: 6:07 AM

Wednesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Partly to mostly cloudy.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 43 to 46       IL ~ 43 to 46       KY ~ 43 to 46        TN ~ 44 to 48
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Winds: North to northwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
Sunset: 7:38 PM

April 26, 2018
Thursday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly to mostly sunny. Warm.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 to 70      IL ~  65 to 68          KY ~ 65 to 70       TN ~  65 to 70
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation: None
Winds: East at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 18 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Most likely none.
Sunrise: 6:05 AM

Thursday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy early.  Increasing clouds overnight. A slight chance of a late night shower.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 44 to 48       IL ~ 44 to 48       KY ~ 46 to 48        TN ~ 48 to 50
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 10%
Coverage of precipitation:  Isolated
Winds: Variable winds at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Isolated wet roadways.
Sunset: 7:39 PM

April 27, 2018
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: A mix of sun and clouds.  Rain showers possible.  A rumble of thunder.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 63 to 66      IL ~  63 to 66         KY ~ 63 to 66       TN ~  63 to 66
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  30%       KY ~ 30%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered
Winds: South and southwest becoming west at 7 to 14 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways
Sunrise: 6:04 AM

Friday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Mostly clear.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 40 to 45       IL ~ 40 to 45       KY ~ 40 to 45        TN ~ 40 to 45
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: North at 5 to 10 mph
Sunset: 7:40 PM

April 28, 2018
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Mostly sunny.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 64 to 68      IL ~  64 to 68         KY ~ 64 to 68       TN ~  64 to 68
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds:  North and northwest at 5 to 10 mph
Sunrise: 6:03 AM

Saturday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Mostly clear.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 44 to 48       IL ~ 44 to 48       KY ~ 46 to 48        TN ~ 48 to 50
Winds: Variable 4 to 8 mph
Sunset: 7:40 PM

April 29, 2018
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Mostly sunny.  Warmer.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 68 to 74      IL ~  68 to 74          KY ~ 68 to 74        TN ~  68 to 74
Winds: South at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise: 6:02 AM

Sunday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Mostly clear.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 48 to 54       IL ~ 48 to 54       KY ~ 48 to 54        TN ~ 48 to 54
Sunset: 7:41 PM

April 30, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Mostly sunny.  Warmer.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 72 to 76      IL ~  72 to 76         KY ~ 72 to 76       TN ~  72 to 76
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise: 6:01 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: A few clouds.  Otherwise, clear sky conditions and mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 54 to 58       IL ~ 54 to 58       KY ~ 54 to 58        TN ~ 54 to 58
Sunset: 7:42 PM

RAIN TOTALS

This is the 48-hour rainfall forecast.  If thunderstorms form later today then they could produce higher totals.

Seven-day rainfall forecast

Interactive Radars:
Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

Questions?  Broken links?  Other?

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a  tornado.

Sunday through Wednesday: Thunderstorms on Monday could produce lightning and small hail.  Organized severe weather is not anticipated.

Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center.  Click here.

Weather Prediction Center.  Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite.  Track clouds.  Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

The spring and preliminary summer outlooks have been posted for subscribers.  Scroll down to see the outlook.

Not a subscriber?  Learn more at this link.

Weather Headlines

• Rain chances today.
  • Isolated thunderstorms this afternoon.
  • On and off clouds this week.
  • Scattered/spotty rain chances after today

Well, it certainly has rained!  Some of us have picked up more than two inches of rain since yesterday.  Here at the Weather Observatory, we have picked up 2.24 inches, thus far.  Some additional rain is likely today.

We could begin to see some breaks in the clouds as we move through today.  This will be in response to a large upper level low passing through the region.  If we do have sun then a few thunderstorms may form.  It is quite cold aloft.  Small hail can’t be ruled out if storms form.  Severe thunderstorms are not anticipated.

Here is the Hrrr model guidance future-cast radar.  The timestamp is in the upper left portion of the animation.  You can see thunderstorms forming this afternoon.

Hrrr shows CAPE numbers near 1000 later today.  CAPE is a measure of energy for storms to tap into.

Rainfall totals today will vary greatly.  Thunderstorms can always produce locally higher totals.  Generally, the region is anticipating another 0.30″ to 0.50″.  Again, heavier totals are certainly possible in some locations.

The upper level low will drift eastward over the coming 24 to 48 hours.  It will take most of the rain with it.  Clouds will linger.

Rain chances by Tuesday into Wednesday will drop below 30%.  Scattered rain showers.

Another system pushes into the region late Thursday night and Friday.  This will be a cold front and will be accompanied by a band of showers and perhaps a few thunderstorms.  At this time, severe weather appears unlikely.

Here is the GFS model guidance for Thursday night and Friday.  You can see a band of showers moving from the northwest to southeast.  Timestamp upper left.

Temperatures this week will remain at or below normal (until the weekend).  Highs today through Thursday will likely remain in the 60’s.

Not to jinx it, but it currently appears Saturday and Sunday may actually remain dry and warmer.  We can certainly hope.  Highs Saturday should rise into the upper 60’s and perhaps 70’s by Sunday.

Weather Brains is a weekly podcast/video for those who love weather and want more!

Weather Brains episode number 638

Tonight’s Guest WeatherBrain is the Associate Director at the Extreme Events Institute at Florida International University. Erik Salna, welcome to WeatherBrains!

Other discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• Extremes: 95 at Death Valley, CA, and 9 at Valentine, NE
  • Wet weekend over Southeast US
  • A chilly start to the week with 30s into Southeast US
  • The potential of severe storms Friday into Saturday
  • Tornadoes touch down in Carolinas and Virginia
  • Astronomy Outlook with Tony Rice
  • and more!

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars.   If a radar does not update then try another one.  If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5.  You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.