Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

April 18, 2018: Non-subscriber update. Windy and warmer today.

April 18, 2018

The KPAH WSR-88D Doppler radar operated by the NOAA National Weather Service in Paducah,
KY will be down for a little over three weeks for the repair of a major mechanical component.

An engineering team from the Radar Operations Center (ROC) in Norman, Oklahoma, determined
that the bull gear, the primary gear for turning the radar antenna, has failed. This repair will
require 12,000 to 15,000 pounds of equipment and a six-person team from the ROC to restore
the radar. At this time, the team anticipates repairs being completed during the next couple of
weeks with the radar returning to service by May 11th.

During the downtime, adjacent ​NWS supporting radars​ include:
Springfield, MO (KSGF)
St. Louis, MO (KLSX)
Lincoln, IL (KILX)
Indianapolis, IN (KIND)
Louisville, KY (KLVX)
Evansville, IN (KVWX)
Fort Campbell, KY (KHPX)
Nashville, TN (KOHX)
Memphis, TN (KNQA)
Little Rock, AR (KLZK).

The Paducah, KY WSR-88D is 23 years old and part of a network of 159 operational radars. The
radars are supported by three federal agencies: NOAA National Weather Service, United States
Air Force, and the Federal Aviation Administration. The Radar Operations Center provides
lifecycle management and support for all WSR-88Ds.

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $3 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

For $3 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

1.  Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed by Beau.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.
  2.  Daily forecast app/texts from my computer to your app/cell phone.
  3.  Social media links sent directly to your app/cell phone.  When I update the blog, videos, or Facebook you will receive the link.
  4.  AWARE emails.  These emails keep you well ahead of the storm. They give you several days of lead time before significant weather events.
  5.  Direct access to Beau via text and email.  Your very own personal meteorologist.  I work for you!
  6.  Missouri and Ohio Valley centered video updates
  7.  Long-range weather videos
  8.  Week one, two, three and four temperature and precipitation outlooks.
  9.  Monthly outlooks.
  10.  Your subscription also will help support several local charities.

Haven’t you subscribed?  Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Example of a recent severe weather alert.  I issued this well before the official tornado warning.  You would have had plenty of time for you and your family to seek shelter.

Your $3 per month also helps support these local charity projects.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

WWW.WEATHERTALK.COM subscribers, here is my day to day schedule for your weather products.

April 18, 2018
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly sunny.  Windy.  Some blowing dust in the air possible (you can see it on satellite over Missouri spreading eastward from Kansas).  A slight chance of a light shower over southeast Illinois and western Kentucky.  Mild temperatures.  Some areas could pop above the mid 70’s.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 70 to 76      IL ~  70 to 75        KY ~ 73 to 76+       TN ~  73 to 76
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 5%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 5%
Coverage of precipitation:  None to isolated
Winds:  Southwest at 7 to 14 mph with gusts to 40 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Blowing dust.  Strong winds.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunrise: 6:16 AM

Wednesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Any clouds will depart.  Colder.  A slight chance of an evening shower in the Pennyrile area of western Kentucky.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 33 to 38      IL ~ 34 to 38      KY ~ 36 to 42      TN ~ 40 to 42
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  10%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 5%
Coverage of precipitation: None to isolated (before 6 PM).
Winds:  Becoming west at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 25 early
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Gusty winds early
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Sunset: 7:31 PM

April 19, 2018
Thursday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  A mix of sun and clouds.  Cooler.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 54 to 58     IL ~  54 to 58         KY ~ 54 to 58       TN ~  58 to 60
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Winds: Northwest 10 to 20 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise: 6:14 AM

Thursday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Cold.  Frost possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 34 to 38      IL ~ 34 to 38      KY ~ 34 to 38       TN ~ 36 to 38
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: Mostly north at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Frost is possible.
Sunset: 7:32 PM

April 20, 2018
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly sunny.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 58 to 62     IL ~  58 to 62         KY ~ 58 to 64       TN ~  58 to 64
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: North and northeast 5 to 10 mph
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Sunrise: 6:13 AM

Friday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 40 to 45      IL ~ 38 to 44      KY ~ 40 to 44       TN ~ 42 to 44
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: Northeast and east at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
Sunset: 7:33 PM

April 21, 2018
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Mostly sunny.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 64 to 68      IL ~  64 to 68      KY ~ 64 to 68       TN ~  64 to 68
Winds: East 4 to 8 mph
Sunrise: 6:12 AM

Saturday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Partly cloudy.  A 20% of a shower after 3 AM near the MO/AR border and then into west Kentucky and northwest Tennessee.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 44 to 48      IL ~ 44 to 48      KY ~ 44 to 48      TN ~ 44 to 48
Coverage of precipitation:  Isolated late
Winds: East and northeast at 4 to 8 mph with gusts to 15 mph late
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Perhaps some wet roadways late
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Sunset: 7:34 PM

April 22, 2018
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly cloudy across the southern half of the region.  A mix of sun and clouds north.  There will be a chance of showers.  The chance of showers is highly dependent on the track of an area of low pressure that is forecast to pass to our south.  The chance of showers will be greater the further south you travel in our region.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 63 to 65      IL ~  60 to 65      KY ~ 60 to 65       TN ~  62 to 64
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 30%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 40%          TN ~ 50%
Coverage of precipitation:  Isolated north.  Perhaps numerous south (near MO/AR and KY/TN border).  Coverage is highly dependent on the track of an area of low pressure.  Monitor updates.
Winds: East at 5 to 10 mph with gusts to 15 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates.
Sunrise: 6:10 AM

Sunday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Cloudy.  Cooler.  Showers are possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 44 to 48      IL ~  44 to 48      KY ~ 44 to 48       TN ~  45 to 50
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 40%      IL ~  30%       KY ~  50%          TN ~ 60%
Coverage of precipitation:  Scattered to perhaps numerous.
Winds: East and northeast at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: LOW
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  Monitor updates
Sunset: 7:35 PM

April 23, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly cloudy.  A shower possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 58 to 64     IL ~  58 to 64         KY ~ 58 to 64       TN ~  58 to 64
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 30%          TN ~ 30%
Coverage of precipitation:  Scattered
Winds: East and northeast at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updates.
Sunrise: 6:09 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Decreasing clouds.  A shower possible.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 43 to 46      IL ~ 42 to 46      KY ~ 44 to 48       TN ~ 44 to 48
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~  30%          TN ~ 30%
Coverage of precipitation: Isolated
Winds: East at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No, but monitor updates.
Sunset: 7:36 PM

April 24, 2018
Tuesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 63 to 66      IL ~  63 to 66        KY ~ 63 to 66       TN ~  63 to 66
Winds: Variable at 5 to 10 mph
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  Medium
Sunrise: 6:08 AM

Tuesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  Showers possible.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 40 to 45      IL ~ 38 to 44      KY ~ 40 to 44       TN ~ 42 to 44
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered
Winds: North at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Wet roadways
Sunset: 7:37 PM

April 25, 2018
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly cloudy.  Mild.  A chance of a shower during the morning.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 to 68      IL ~  65 to 68          KY ~ 65 to 68       TN ~  65 to 68
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 20%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 20%
Coverage of precipitation: Scattered
Winds: Northwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Perhaps wet roadways
Sunrise: 6:07 AM

Wednesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast: Partly cloudy.  Cool.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 48 to 54       IL ~ 48 to 54       KY ~ 48 to 54        TN ~ 48 to 54
Winds: Variable at 4 to 8 mph
Sunset: 7:38 PM

RAIN TOTALS

It will be mostly dry this week.  A slight chance of a light shower today over our eastern counties.

The next storm system will brush our region Sunday and Monday.  It is possible it misses us to the south.  I still have spotty rain chances Sunday.

Here is the WPC rainfall forecast.  You can see heavier totals south of our region.  Again, this is highly dependent on the track of the area of low pressure.

Interactive Radars:
Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

Questions?  Broken links?  Other?

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a  tornado.

Wednesday through Thursday: Severe weather is not anticipated.

Friday into Saturday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Sunday into Tuesday:  Severe weather is not anticipated.

Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center.  Click here.

Weather Prediction Center.  Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite.  Track clouds.  Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

The spring and preliminary summer outlooks have been posted for subscribers.  Scroll down to see the outlook.

Not a subscriber?  Learn more at this link.

Weather Headlines

• Windy today.
  • Blowing dust in the air from Kansas!
  • Frost possible Thursday night.
  • Watching a weekend storm system.
  • Updated May and June outlooks
  • Updated WeatherBrains (bottom of page)

Check out the dust on the morning satellite.  That milky white area is dust from Kansas.  You might be able to see it in the air today.

Why dust?  Because Kansas is in a drought.

Here is the latest drought monitor map.

Those orange and red colors are significant drought regions.

It will be windy today.  Winds may occasionally gust in the 30 to 40 (perhaps slightly higher) mph range.  It will also be warmer.

The winds will be in response to a tightening pressure gradient (barometer readings rising and falling).

You can see those equal lines of pressure on this meso-analysis map.

The black lines are isobars.  See how tightly packed they are?  That means gusty winds.  The red L is the area of low pressure.  It is moving east/northeast.

A warm front will push northward today and that will mean warmer air.  Most of the region should top out in the 70’s today.  If the front does not move fast enough then our far northern counties may remain in the middle to upper 60’s.

We will have a few clouds as a cold front approaches from the west.  This system is moisture-starved (at the upper levels).  That will mean low rain chances.  There is a small chance of a few showers over southeast Illinois and the Pennyrile area of western Kentucky (my eastern forecast counties).

The bulk of the rain with this event will remain to our north.  As a matter of fact, there will also be snow to our north.  A late winter storm for some.

Green is rain,  Blue is snow.  Purple is ice.

This is the 1 PM weather map (this afternoon).  The low is centered northeast of Mt. Vernon, Illinois.  Notice the tightly packed isobars.  Widespread precipitation well to our north.

You can see the warm front on this temperature animation chart.  This is from 7 AM today through 7 AM tomorrow.

A nice surge of warm air.  Briefly warmer.  We will cool down tomorrow.

Click to enlarge the maps on this page.

Tomorrow will be dry and cooler.

Frost is again possible Thursday night.  We just can’t shake the cold air.

Weekend:

Plan on dry weather Friday through Saturday evening.  Highs on Friday and Saturday will top out in the 60’s.

I continue to watch a system that will arrive in our region late Saturday night into Sunday night.

The trend on this system continues to be southward.  If the trend continues then the rain might miss most of our region.  Not overly confident on that happening, just yet.

Let’s continue to track and monitor the system.

Here is the GFS model animation of that system.  The best chance of rain would be Sunday/Sunday night and perhaps Monday.  That is highly dependent on the track.

Again, if this thing continues to trend southward then the rain chances will be lowered.  Right now I have them in the 30% to 40% range.

The timestamp is located in the upper left portion of the graphic.

Weather Brains is a weekly podcast/video for those who love weather and want more!

Weather Brains episode number 638

Tonight’s Guest WeatherBrain is the Associate Director at the Extreme Events Institute at Florida International University. Erik Salna, welcome to WeatherBrains!

Other discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• Extremes: 95 at Death Valley, CA, and 9 at Valentine, NE
  • Wet weekend over Southeast US
  • A chilly start to the week with 30s into Southeast US
  • The potential of severe storms Friday into Saturday
  • Tornadoes touch down in Carolinas and Virginia
  • Astronomy Outlook with Tony Rice
  • and more!

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars.   If a radar does not update then try another one.  If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5.  You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.