Beau Dodson's WeatherTalk Blog

April 16, 2018: Non-subscriber update. A quiet week of weather.

Monday afternoon.

No changes to the going forecast.  Frost and freeze likely tonight.

WeatherTalk monthly operating costs can top $2000.00.  Your $3 subscription helps pay for those costs.  I work for you.

For $3 a month you can receive the following.  You may choose to receive these via your WeatherTalk app or regular text messaging.

1.  Severe weather app/text alerts from my keyboard to your app/cell phone.  These are hand typed by Beau.   During tornado outbreaks, you will receive numerous app/text messages telling you exactly where the tornado is located.
  2.  Daily forecast app/texts from my computer to your app/cell phone.
  3.  Social media links sent directly to your app/cell phone.  When I update the blog, videos, or Facebook you will receive the link.
  4.  AWARE emails.  These emails keep you well ahead of the storm. They give you several days of lead time before significant weather events.
  5.  Direct access to Beau via text and email.  Your very own personal meteorologist.  I work for you!
  6.  Missouri and Ohio Valley centered video updates
  7.  Long-range weather videos
  8.  Week one, two, three and four temperature and precipitation outlooks.
  9.  Monthly outlooks.
  10.  Your subscription also will help support several local charities.

Haven’t you subscribed?  Subscribe at www.beaudodsonweather.com

Example of a recent severe weather alert.  I issued this well before the official tornado warning.  You would have had plenty of time for you and your family to seek shelter.

Your $3 per month also helps support these local charity projects.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

WWW.WEATHERTALK.COM subscribers, here is my day to day schedule for your weather products.

April 16, 2018
Monday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Cold.  Windy.  Snow or rain showers early.  Clouds will decrease from west to east through the day.  The eastern half of the region may remain cloudy most of the day..
Temperatures:  MO ~ 45 to 50     IL ~  44 to 48         KY ~ 43 to 48      TN ~  46 to 50
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 10%      IL ~  30%       KY ~ 40%          TN ~ 40%
Coverage of precipitation:  Scattered
Winds:  West and northwest at 15 to 30 mph and gusty.
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  Wet roadways early.
My confidence in the forecast verifying:  High
Is severe weather expected?  No
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Should I cancel my outdoor plans?  No
Sunrise: 6:18 AM

Monday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Frost likely.  Chilly.  A freeze possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 28 to 32      IL ~ 28 to 32      KY ~ 30 to 34       TN ~ 30 to 34
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation: None
Winds:  West and northwest at 4 to 8 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Frost likely.  Freeze possible.
The NWS defines severe weather as 58 mph wind or great, 1″ hail or larger, and/or tornadoes
Sunset: 7:30 PM

April 17, 2018
Tuesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Morning frost.  Mostly sunny.  Milder.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 65 (north) to 70 (Poplar Bluff area)    IL ~  58  (north) to 66  (south)     KY ~ 60 (NW KY) to 68 (SW KY)       TN ~  68 to 72
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Coverage of precipitation:  None
Winds:  South and southwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather?  None
Sunrise: 6:17 AM

Tuesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Not as cold.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 53 to 56      IL ~ 45 (Mt Vernon area) to 55     KY ~ 53 to 56      TN ~ 54 to 58
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~  0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds:  South and southwest at 5 to 10 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Sunset: 7:31 PM

April 18, 2018
Wednesday F
orecast Details
Forecast
: Partly sunny.  A slight chance of a light shower over southern Illinois and western Kentucky.  Mild temperatures.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 70 to 75      IL ~  68 to 74        KY ~ 70 to 75       TN ~  72 to 76
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 10%      IL ~  20%       KY ~ 20%          TN ~ 5%
Coverage of precipitation:  None to isolated
Winds:  Southwest at 7 to 14 mph with gusts to 20 (higher gusts possible)
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Most likely none.
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Sunrise: 6:16 AM

Wednesday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.  A slight chance of a shower.  Cooler.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 38 to 44      IL ~ 38 to 44      KY ~ 40 to 44      TN ~ 40 to 44
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 10%      IL ~  20%       KY ~  20%          TN ~ 10%
Coverage of precipitation: None to isolated.   Most areas will remain dry.
Winds:  Becoming west at 6 to 12 mph with gusts to 18
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Most likely none
Sunset: 7:31 PM

April 19, 2018
Thursday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly sunny.  Cooler.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 54 to 58     IL ~  54 to 58         KY ~ 54 to 58       TN ~  58 to 60
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 0%      IL ~  0%       KY ~ 0%          TN ~ 0%
Winds: Northwest 10 to 20 mph
Sunrise: 6:14 AM

Thursday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Mostly clear.  Cold.  Frost possible.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 35 to 38      IL ~ 34 to 38      KY ~ 35 to 40       TN ~ 36 to 38
Winds: Mostly north at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? Frost is possible.
Sunset: 7:32 PM

April 20, 2018
Friday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Mostly sunny.  Mild.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 58 to 62     IL ~  58 to 62         KY ~ 58 to 64       TN ~  58 to 64
Winds: North and northeast 5 to 10 mph
My confidence in the forecast verifying: High
Sunrise: 6:13 AM

Friday  Night Forecast Details:
Forecast:  Partly cloudy.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 40 to 45      IL ~ 38 to 44      KY ~ 40 to 44       TN ~ 42 to 44
Winds: Northeast and east at 6 to 12 mph
What impacts are anticipated from the weather? None
My confidence in the forecast verifying: Medium
Sunset: 7:33 PM

Weekend:  Another storm system should approach the region from the south and west.  This will likely spread rain into the region.  There remain some questions on timing.  Saturday may remain mostly dry.

April 21, 2018
Saturday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Increasing clouds.   A chance of rain late Saturday night.  Most of Saturday may remain dry.  Monitor updates.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 60 to 65      IL ~ 60 to 64         KY ~ 60 to 65       TN ~  62 to 66

April 22, 2018
Sunday F
orecast Details
Forecast
:  Cloudy with rain showers.  Another storm system should approach the region from the south and west.  This will likely spread rain into the region.  There remain some questions on timing.
Temperatures:  MO ~ 60 to 65        IL ~  60 to 65 60        KY ~ 60 to 65       TN ~  62 to 66
What is the chance of precipitation?  MO ~ 40%      IL ~  30%       KY ~ 40%          TN ~ 40%

RAIN TOTALS

Measurable rain is not anticipated through Friday night.

Interactive Radars:
Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

Questions?  Broken links?  Other?

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

The National Weather Service defines a severe thunderstorm as one that produces quarter size hail or larger, 58 mph winds or greater, and/or a  tornado.

Monday through Thursday: Severe weather is not anticipated.

Friday into Saturday: Severe weather is not anticipated.

Sunday into Tuesday: Severe weather is not anticipated.

Interactive live weather radar page.  Choose the city nearest your location. If one of the cities does not work then try a nearby one.  Click here.

National map of weather watches and warnings. Click here.

Storm Prediction Center.  Click here.

Weather Prediction Center.  Click here.

Live lightning data: Click here.

Interactive GOES R satellite.  Track clouds.  Click here.

Here are the latest local river stage forecast numbers Click Here.

Here are the latest lake stage forecast numbers for Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley Click Here.

The spring and preliminary summer outlooks have been posted for subscribers.  Scroll down to see the outlook.

Not a subscriber?  Learn more at this link.

Weather Headlines

• Cold today with scattered snow showers.
  • Frost and freeze concerns.
  • Dry most of this week (finally).
  • Watching weekend rain chances (centered on late Saturday night into Sunday night)

This sums it up.

A quiet week of weather ahead.

We do have snow showers in the region this morning.  Thick clouds, as well.  This is making it feel even colder.

You can see the LARGE storm system that has brought an ice storm, snow storm, heavy rain, and tornadoes to the nation over the last few days.  Mid-latitude cyclone at its best.  Check out how the clouds trail all the way into the Caribbean.

Check out the amazing/historic snow even well to our north.  This was a blizzard for many.  Some areas picked up more than two feet of fresh snow.  April?  Indeed!

The clouds will be slow to exit today.  Expect some clearing over southeast Missouri later this morning and then from west to east through the rest of today.  It is possible that clouds will remain over our eastern counties.

Strong and gusty winds will make it feel even colder.  Wind chills this morning are dipping into the 20’s.

Winds today will gust above 30 mph.  Brrr.  Spring 2018, where are you?

The main concern will be frost and freeze conditions again tonight into Tuesday morning.  Otherwise, dry weather tonight through Friday night.  You can expect lows tonight to range from 28 to 34 across most of the region.

Our next storm system won’t arrive until Saturday night and Sunday.  At this time, it appears that rain showers will be the main concern from that event.  Severe weather appears unlikely.

If you have outdoor plans Friday and Saturday then they should be safe from precipitation.  See, some good news, for once!

Here is the weekend system.  This is the 1 PM Sunday weather map.  If this were January then we would be talking about a winter storm.

The low tracks to our south (see it there near Memphis.  The red L).  That places us on the cool side.  If this track is correct then severe weather is unlikely in our region.  There could be severe weather along the Gulf of Mexico.

Weather Brains is a weekly podcast/video for those who love weather and want more!

Weather Brains episode number 638

Our guest WeatherBrain for this episode is Matt Solum. Matt is the Decision Support Services Program Manager at Western Region Headquarters of the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City, UT. Matt was in the California State Operations Center, basically the state EOC, supporting their full activation as a result of the fires in southern California. Their team was providing forecast information primarily for the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) and FEMA as it was a joint operation. They also provided weather information to other partners in the room including EPA, CalTrans, DOT, CalEPA, etc. He was deployed to both the October fires and the massive/prolonged December fires. Welcome to WeatherBrains, Matt.

Other discussions in this weekly podcast include topics like:

• Extremes: 101 at Thermal, CA, and 2 at Raco, MI
  • Relatively calm weather across US
  • Threat for severe wx in Lower Mississippi River Valley on Friday
  • Astronomy Outlook with Tony Rice
  • and more!

Previous episodes can be viewed by clicking here.

We offer interactive local city live radars and regional radars.   If a radar does not update then try another one.  If a radar does not appear to be refreshing then hit Ctrl F5.  You may also try restarting your browser.

The local city view radars also have clickable warnings.

During the winter months, you can track snow and ice by clicking the winterize button on the local city view interactive radars.

You may email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Find me on Facebook!

Find me on Twitter!

2016-11-19_11-50-24

Did you know that a portion of your monthly subscription helps support local charity projects?

You can learn more about those projects by visiting the Shadow Angel Foundation website and the Beau Dodson News website.

I encourage subscribers to use the app vs regular text messaging.  We have found text messaging to be delayed during severe weather.  The app typically will receive the messages instantly.  I recommend people have three to four methods of receiving their severe weather information.

Remember, my app and text alerts are hand typed and not computer generated.  You are being given personal attention during significant weather events.

Comments are closed.